Off to the Sheltie Specialty today

A bit OT

Sigh, I found a flea on Koji this morning. I'm not sure if it was from the trial, the hotel, or home (I'm assuming trial or hotel as he wasn't biting himself until this morning). Looks like I'll be giving them Capstar for trials since the K9 Advantix didn't seem to do anything for them. I don't know if Miko has anything on him, however he hasn't been biting at himself. Only licking his feet, because y'know, they touched dirt and grass. Ew. hehehe.
 
Sigh, I found a flea on Koji this morning. I'm not sure if it was from the trial, the hotel, or home (I'm assuming trial or hotel as he wasn't biting himself until this morning). Looks like I'll be giving them Capstar for trials since the K9 Advantix didn't seem to do anything for them. I don't know if Miko has anything on him, however he hasn't been biting at himself. Only licking his feet, because y'know, they touched dirt and grass. Ew. hehehe.

Bummer! Fleas are usually on a dog's stomach/underside. Turn both dogs over and check their bellies, armpits, etc... They only climb to the top side if you give the dog a bath.
 
Bummer! Fleas are usually on a dog's stomach/underside. Turn both dogs over and check their bellies, armpits, etc... They only climb to the top side if you give the dog a bath.

Thanks. I did check Koji, I should check Miko. However, I also gave them a Capstar when we got home. Strangely, I tend to find it on Koji's legs and shoulders. They're both sleeping, so I'll let them nap for now.
 
Cheryl, sorry to hear your weekend didn't go as planned. You and Koji will get there.

At least you have a few more trials to look forward to. I won't run again until late January or February.
 
Cheryl, sorry to hear your weekend didn't go as planned. You and Koji will get there.

At least you have a few more trials to look forward to. I won't run again until late January or February.

I'll have to go read your post. I started to but decided I'd better go to bed. I'm with you, can I have a redo?
 
Anyhow, here's today's JWW: JWW Round 2

It shouldn't have been too hard, however, the 3 sets of pinwheels weren't exactly easy. I would say this is the hardest Open course I've seen so far (that's not saying much). Definitely more challenging.


I forgot to tell you guys. There were 7 dogs in Open (1 preferred). And not one of us Q'd the JWW course on Sunday. Yup, we ALL NQ'd. I don't feel so bad. obviously, that wasn't an "easy" course for sure. I'm pretty sure it was all those darn pinwheels, making us all dizzy. lol
 
Chin up, Cheryl! (very long, sorry)

Hi Cheryl,
I've been pretty busy with work to get to the forums until now, but I finally got a chance to see how you and Koji did last weekend. I'm sorry it was such a disappointment for you, but I've been there (A LOT!) and I'm thinking I'll still have such weekends. We've had more than our share of trials where we've had a 1/10 Q rate (thank god for jumpers or tunnelers on those weekends!) I thoroughly feel your pain.

If I may be so bold... I think you and Koji are doing great! I remember the first few runs in NADAC that I watched you two run, and you've come a very long way. He's still a very green dog regardless of how many trials you've run. Remember the GOOD things that happened (great waits, good crosses, etc.), and work on those things that you can work on. No matter how often you work on something, there will always be some scenario you haven't thought about that changes things to the dog (and adds to your practice repertoire). You as a team need to work on how different positions/entries/footwork affect how you two run together.

What I saw consistently with all of the videos was that Koji is a very exuberant, happy sheltie wanting to go FAST and wanting you to tell him where to go, NOW. His bopping out of weaves and jumping off tables and flying off contacts are all basically symptoms of the same thing... he wants to keep running, and he wants you to TELL him where to go or else he tells you off. It's a very common problem that you see in NADAC in many dogs, experienced or not. The handler/team are not in sync, and the dog NEEDS to know where to go, and you aren't providing that information in a timely manner. Where you gave information early/on time, Koji was very smooth and happy. The second you stopped giving information (or he perceived a change in information), Koji was on his own, and he let you know it. Also, with him being so green, his obstacles aren't as reliable as you'd like, and your frustrations display that. Independent obstacle performances takes LOTS of reps and time... don't beat yourself up on that. Just keep working.
When you run a smart, fast dog, YOU as the handler have to figure out how to remain connected.

I have similar issues with Alva... contacts, weaves, tables all slow him down, and HE DON'T WANNA!!!! We've had to work diligently on making those obstacles really cool so he wants to do them completely and it's taken a long, long time and many crappy trials. It finally feels like we are coming together, and I'm learning to trust him more. There are still weekends where weaves completely suck (where the weekend prior, they were spot-on), where he blows contacts, or like at our last trial, where he avoided the table like it was the plague. I adjust my handling based on what his tendencies are that weekend...

I probably don't need to tell you this, but... working hard in class does help in trials, but there is nothing that simulates a trial atmosphere. I've learned the hard, frustrating and expensive way that the only way I could work through some of his issues was to eat runs at trials. Alva never blew contacts in class, but in a trial, Superdog arrived and flying was par for the course. That's one reason I love running in NADAC... I could train a contact (for an E) AT A TRIAL. I could work on how I moved, and made him slow down enough to THINK. If he did his contact, he got his reward and finished the run. If he flew off again, we stopped and walked off. He HATED THAT! He also didn't get treats and was ignored. Being the smart sheltie that he is, he then decided to AVOID the contacts altogether so he wouldn't get "punished". All this time, his approaches to contacts and his touches were perfect IN CLASS. It took a long time (over a year) for him to figure out that doing the contacts correctly IN A TRIAL meant he could keep playing. Since I don't have instant vocal encouragement, I believe it took us much longer to work through those issues than people with a hearing dog would.

He's so much more reliable now. I'm learning to trust him more so the long frustrating road was worth it. Now, all I need to do is stop dead if he blows a contact or ignores a command, and he knows, uh oh, and starts to think, again, and we continue playing because the connection was re-established. Thinking on course is part of his job, and he's finally figured that out. We need to be a team, and he's now starting to trust ME more, too, which is pretty cool to see. Lately, anything we've messed up on has been on me, and I know it. I praise him to high heaven if he took an off-course that I caused, because he did what I asked of him. It's taken ME a long time to behave positively in those situations, and not send negative vibes to my dog who DID IT RIGHT, and keep the game fun! Just because mom was a butthead doesn't mean HE was... he deserves to feel happy and encouraged, and it creates more trust for better and faster runs for the future.

Good luck to you in future trials... I hope to see you and Koji at a trial soon! NADAC at Rohr this weekend... send us good vibes for nice contacts in TnG :yes:

-Dayle
Mom to: Alva--CL2,CL3-F,H,S;
O-NCC,S-NJC,NAC,S-Tn-N,Tn-O,O-Wv-N,Hp-N; CGC
Orville--CGC
Wilbur,Misty--sweetest shelties waiting at the Bridge
 
Sending you lots and lots of TnG good vibes Dayle. :)

That's one thing I love about NADAC, training is allowed. Well, for an E, but still, it's so helpful. Koji truly has come a long way since his first trial a year ago and I agree, he's still very green. Getting there, but still green and still young (he's so immature!). Thanks for all the things you said. I have to say, I think one reason this weekend was so frustrating is that Koji is great at Jumpers...but those were NQ too. Sigh. Darn weaves.

I never thought about it that Koji wants to go go go and not stop and is waiting for me to give commands. Probably because I still see him as this fearful dog that didn't want to do anything but jump. lol. Looks like I need to pick up my handling skills/speed. This is when distance work would be great. I need to keep that on my list of things to work on.

When you run a smart, fast dog, YOU as the handler have to figure out how to remain connected.

Great advice. This is when he starts barking at me. Yuck. lol.

I adjust my handling based on what his tendencies are that weekend...

I try to also. I noticed last weekend, his contacts were being blown because I was ahead of him and he was just bouncing off. This weekend, I'm going to pause a bit for him to hit the contacts w/o bouncing off then take off. This timing things isn't easy!

I probably don't need to tell you this, but... working hard in class does help in trials, but there is nothing that simulates a trial atmosphere.

Nope, you definitely don't need to tell me that. Oh so true. Again, why I love NADAC.

and we continue playing because the connection was re-established. Thinking on course is part of his job, and he's finally figured that out.

I think I need to figure out a way to teach Koji this. When he starts barking AT me, I know we're pretty much done, however, at times, when I continue running, he's still not paying attention. Still too busy telling me off. I need something that won't get me booted off the course (like putting him in a sit) to get him to refocus so we can get on our way. I'll have to think about this.

I praise him to high heaven if he took an off-course that I caused, because he did what I asked of him.

I am proud of myself that for the most part, I have stayed pretty positive and try to laugh at the things he does wrong, due to my error, so he won't think he's doing everything wrong. I know it's not easy, but after having this woman in my training class that literally would walk away from her dog when she didn't do something right, I learned fast to not do anything like that. Keep the connection and keep going, right? Especially when it's your fault.
 
Figured some things out and wanted to share.

First, I talked with the woman who helps me train Koji (not my instructor) about his weaves this past weekend. She said he was popping out because I was pacing him or behind him. Yikes! So in class we were worked on them really quick and as long as I'm ahead of him, he won't pop. And dang!!! When I took off past him you could SEE his weaving speed up. Crazy! But very cool. So obviously, that was me.

Second, the A-frame. During one of our runs in class, I took the A-frame at the end of the course, it was even lowered, and as he came down, my trainer said, "Koji can fly". I'm like, great. he missed it. So, I started using food at the bottom, about 4 feet away. Therefore, he'd drive to it but not stop 2o2o for it. It went well, then I did the DW to the A-frame and he started scooting down the A-frame. Not good, that's not what I want. come on Koji, you're smart. Tall wide one means run. Skinny flatter one means stop. LOL.

So, this weekend at my trial (I'm crazy, I know), I'll be slowing down at contacts so he knows to hit them and to wait for the teeter to stay down before he gets off. I'll also be running in front of him for the weaves so he'll stay in and finally, I'll be putting him in a sit or down on the table, cuz otherwise, he won't stay. Crazy dog.

hopefully, this weekend will be better. My goal to be in ExB by the new year is slightly there in sight, but not really. Not after all the NQ's this weekend. But it's okay, I'd rather stay back knowing we're not ready.

Note: Do you remember Bubbles the Bulldog who got a Q in JWW last month? She's going to be at the same trial this weekend!!! Let's hope for a second Q.
 
I never thought about it that Koji wants to go go go and not stop and is waiting for me to give commands. Probably because I still see him as this fearful dog that didn't want to do anything but jump. lol. Looks like I need to pick up my handling skills/speed. This is when distance work would be great. I need to keep that on my list of things to work on.

It's funny... we're all like parents not wanting to see our "kids" changing and growing up. But they do. And Koji has developed into a very happy and confident sheltie. You should be very proud of the work you've done with him! And yes, once I figured out that Alva ran better at least 6 feet away from me, he ran soooo much faster and cleaner. *I* just needed to "let go and let my kid grow up." Koji, on the other hand, just needs more confidence that you are still there supporting him, even though you are farther away from him. That's the beauty and rush of distance handling at its finest. The thread of teamwork stays connected and remains strong, regardless of where you and the dog are on course.

This is when he starts barking at me. Yuck. lol.

yup... do you know Paul Kirk and his aussie Renzo? Renzo is famous for his spinning and barking when Paul is a split-second off on his commands. I watched Mike Omartian handle Renzo at NADAC Champs this year, and you wouldn't believe it was the same dog. I think he had one spin all weekend, and it was on a very hard course that had all of the handlers spinning, too. Renzo performed the best I ever saw him run. Mike's handling and timing are impeccable.

Koji's behavior is quite common. And the fix? Lots of practice as a team so you can get your timing down pat, too. So simple... :rolleyes2:

I think I need to figure out a way to teach Koji this. When he starts barking AT me, I know we're pretty much done, however, at times, when I continue running, he's still not paying attention. Still too busy telling me off. I need something that won't get me booted off the course like putting him in a sit) to get him to refocus so we can get on our way. I'll have to think about this.

Good luck... All I needed to do was get Alva back on course and his focus was back. But I know dogs like Renzo and Koji need a bit more. But Koji is more sensitive than your average headstrong dog, so really think this through carefully. You don't want to shut him down, either.

Keep the connection and keep going, right? Especially when it's your fault.

yup, and yup! good for you!

good luck with your trial this weekend, Cheryl! I hope all your hard work evaluating and planning helps!
-dayle
 
Back
Top