Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

One-year-old Sheltie 3 weeks post orthopedic surgery on acepromazine not eating much; is this normal

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Fainlysmom, Apr 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    This is who our breeder uses for MDR 1 testing (and all other genetic tests). I believe you pay for it, they send you the swab and then you send it back.
    https://www.animalgenetics.us/

my last boy Riley was big also, he was 39 pounds and lean. I fed him a little over 1 cup of dry food a day.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    If you are still on good terms with his breeder, you might see if his mother and father were tested. If they were and are normal, you don't have to worry about that. Just a thought.

Fainly is lucky to have a family willing to help him, that's a lot of money by anyone's standards.

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom, Ann and 2 others like this.
  3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Susan, it is good to hear from you and know that Fainly seems to be doing fairly well overall. The cone is so important, as you know, to keep him from his surgery area ...my Sketchie had to have a cone for weeks after his leg amputation and although he hated it for the first couple of days he got used to it and it really wasn't an issue. With no exercise, which is critical to stick to for Fainly, I am not surprised his food intake is substantially down and as long as he is not losing weight I honestly wouldn't worry about it. In fact, if he was still eating what he ate when he was more active he would gain weight and that is the last thing you want as it would only add pressure on his legs once he can be up and about.
    Does Fainly like to ride in the car? If he does and is either seat belted or crated, so he can't move about, you might find it would cheer him up a bit...just make sure he is securely limited from any real movement.
    I also wonder if there is still some level of pain associated with the surgery...it was by necessity a very invasive surgery. Maybe talk to your vet about extending limited pain meds for a little while longer?
    Gentle hugs to your big boy...he and you will get through this and in the end it will have been worth all the worry.
    Trini

ghggp, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  4. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Is Fainly neutered? My Cody was 42 pounds and not overweight - just big, and he only ate 1 cup of Fromms a day. Especially if Fainly is inactive now due to his surgery, he will not be as hungry (or need as many calories). Glad to hear that he is healing!

ghggp, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Lots of good advice here. Feel better soon, Fainly!

ghggp, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I was going to bring this up about Ace. I've printed that list and given it to my vet.
    I did get all 4 tested and the brown dogs are +/- but the younger boys are both normal/normal. Washington State is where our tests were done.

Sandy in CT, Caro, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Fainlysmom

Fainlysmom Forums Regular

Mar 7, 2021
    Thanks. This is interesting. We see the vet again tomorrow, the ortho guy, and I'll see what he says. Fainly also has to have his rabies shot -- the docs there say that he can't have more than one kind of shot at a time so he's behind -- and they may have a better idea what he should be eating than the ortho guy.

8. Fainlysmom

Mar 7, 2021
    Well, she gave us $1600 of our money back, I think we're on good enough terms. Can't hurt to ask. I'll do that. I bet not, though.

9. Fainlysmom

Mar 7, 2021
    No, not neutered yet; not been time between the other crises and surgeries.

10. Fainlysmom

Mar 7, 2021
    Hi, and thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, he doesn't like the car. When we first got him we drove from Colorado to Missouri to get him in our RV. We took two days to get home but didn't realize how noisy the RV would be for him, plus the traffic, and I think he was quite traumatized by the whole experience even though I held him the entire time; sat with him instead of up front with my husband. He does only okay in the car, and that if I'm sitting in the back seat with him, which I don't want to do for the rest of my life. We are looking for a car seat for a 40-pound dog that has a zipper in the front so he can put his head and chest on the divider between the front seats, which he likes to do. We have not been able to find one, so he doesn't have a car seat. If anyone knows of this kind of a car seat (I've seen them for tiny dogs but not for one his size) I'd love to hear about it.