Outrageous charge for titre test

NJ doesn't recognize titer, as so few states do however a clever vet knows what to do.

They don't recognize titer, but you can file for an exemption:
http://www.state.nj.us/health/forms/vph-28.pdf

An exemption to the rabies inoculation requirement may be granted if the owner presents written certification from a licensed veterinarian that the dog cannot be vaccinated due to a medical condition or course of therapy.

Here is a list of the states that do allow medical expemtions from rabies vaccinations:
http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2012/...permit-rabies-vaccination-medical-exemptions/
 
Kate I got the exemption this year from my Max, and brought it to my town hall. I refused to give it to max with his immune system still compromised and my vet agreed.
 
They don't recognize titer, but you can file for an exemption:
http://www.state.nj.us/health/forms/vph-28.pdf

An exemption to the rabies inoculation requirement may be granted if the owner presents written certification from a licensed veterinarian that the dog cannot be vaccinated due to a medical condition or course of therapy.

Here is a list of the states that do allow medical expemtions from rabies vaccinations:
http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2012/...permit-rabies-vaccination-medical-exemptions/

Yes, the exemption well there's the rub. Harper Lee is healthy. In the past she has had some skin issues which can be said to compromise her immune system and I am going to have to ask the vet if he will consider that. Otherwise what in the world is the titer test for?

I found a lab with Jean Dodds recommendations called KSU and they test for 40.00. You will have to go to fedex with sample to ship yourself. Now if my vet is still talking to me after yesterday, I will redraw (poor Harper) blood and ship myself.

Sometimes the vets can make us feel rather foolish and indulgent for going to this trouble. They haven't seen a little sheltie die from over vaccination and since I never, ever want to see that again, I will go miles for Harper.

Dr. Dodds, told me that this is the test and the lab that the US Government uses to test for rabies in dogs and overall immunity from the disease when they are relocating or being exported out of the country. Why can't the governement recognize the testing as universally sound for the U.S.? Dr. Dodds, says that the titer test is 100 % accurate for checking immunity in our pets.

Good for you too Lynnel, for standing up for your Max!!!


Best,
Kate
 
Fedex will ship, the Doc will sign off on it and we will ship overnight. They have gel packs at the vet to package the vial in for us. Cost wise it is still under the $225.00 at $100.00.

The vet I was considering going to, for titer if my vet didn't want to do it this way, well he said that his office thought that my dog had gotten bit and had to be titered for rabies. He said they don't titer just to titer. Well you don't say!

It is what it is, my dog will get her titers, bottom line. I will deal with the rest as it comes to me.

Dr. Dodds uses the KSU labs and suggested that I do same, they do the testing for the government. You can go online and get the submission form and bring it to your vet. The test is called the RFFIT rabies titer screen.

Thanks for all your input,

Kate
 
Back
Top