Over weight in the winter= senior formula?

Hi Rachael

I'm still curious as to why you are against Senior's diets?

My dogs are now 3.5 years old but I've them on this diet for awhile (frankly, I've lost track of when I settled on the NOW! Grain Free Seniors - with all of Bacca's issues). 24% protein and I think 15% fat.

I'm finally happy with their weight (I can now feel Indy's ribs), though Bacca could still loose a couple of pounds. Their coat seems fine. They are active.

Welcome your feedback. If there is something about senior's diets you advise against, then I will revisit.

Thanks
barb
 
A couple of reasons. First, because my mentality is that food is food, and barring medical issues, all dogs eat the same variety of foods. All of mine eat the same foods, the older dogs, the running dogs, the retired couch dogs. Puppies get the same food once they are weaned and can handle it.

Second because it seems like every time I see a round, out of condition, dull coated dog, they have turned 8 and the owner has for some reason changed to a senior food. I'll admit I haven't looked at the higher end senior formulas, but the low-middle end foods replace protein with carbs, which causes the dogs to get fat. We all know I am an animal protein feeder, so increasing carbs/starches for an old dog doesn't make sense to me.

But again, since I don't feed a single food, I don't have to worry as much about nutrients in individual foods. It's balance over time.
 
A couple of reasons. First, because my mentality is that food is food, and barring medical issues, all dogs eat the same variety of foods. All of mine eat the same foods, the older dogs, the running dogs, the retired couch dogs. Puppies get the same food once they are weaned and can handle it.

Second because it seems like every time I see a round, out of condition, dull coated dog, they have turned 8 and the owner has for some reason changed to a senior food. I'll admit I haven't looked at the higher end senior formulas, but the low-middle end foods replace protein with carbs, which causes the dogs to get fat. We all know I am an animal protein feeder, so increasing carbs/starches for an old dog doesn't make sense to me.

But again, since I don't feed a single food, I don't have to worry as much about nutrients in individual foods. It's balance over time.

That's interesting. When I was deciding what to feed Brie when she had to lose weight I looked at a few of the weight management foods but they did seem to have higher carbs and they didn't seem as nutritionally sound as the Acana I was already feeding. I decided to stick to our Acana, cut the amount of kibble in half and replace it with green beans, and increase the activity level. It worked for Brie but of course every dog is different.
 
That's interesting. When I was deciding what to feed Brie when she had to lose weight I looked at a few of the weight management foods but they did seem to have higher carbs and they didn't seem as nutritionally sound as the Acana I was already feeding. I decided to stick to our Acana, cut the amount of kibble in half and replace it with green beans, and increase the activity level. It worked for Brie but of course every dog is different.

A completely rational solution. :smile2:
 
In this thread, post #13 you wrote:

"I just dont think 1/2 a cup is enough for any normal sheltie size. My girl probably eats 1 cup a day and she is a TINY sheltie. She is 11 pounds and a year old, and can walk under some shelties. which is why i was stunned that someone would feed a dog only half a cup of food a day."

http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=8712&page=2

Its less than a year later and your dog's weight went from 11 lbs. to 15 lbs, that's an increase of over 25%! It sure seem like your theory about dog's not getting fat from free feeding is working too well for your sheltie.

My 'anorexic' small sheltie, who is approx. the same size as yours, has been at a healthy weight since I've been monitoring her food intake and could maybe even lose a lb.
 
A couple of reasons. First, because my mentality is that food is food, and barring medical issues, all dogs eat the same variety of foods. All of mine eat the same foods, the older dogs, the running dogs, the retired couch dogs. Puppies get the same food once they are weaned and can handle it.

Second because it seems like every time I see a round, out of condition, dull coated dog, they have turned 8 and the owner has for some reason changed to a senior food. I'll admit I haven't looked at the higher end senior formulas, but the low-middle end foods replace protein with carbs, which causes the dogs to get fat. We all know I am an animal protein feeder, so increasing carbs/starches for an old dog doesn't make sense to me.

But again, since I don't feed a single food, I don't have to worry as much about nutrients in individual foods. It's balance over time.

Thanks for the info. That was really helpful, and something to consider going forward if and when I need to change food.

I can appreciate that your situation is a little different than most and I can certainly appreciate that lower end foods don't do the trick. I would certainly discourage anyone from going on senior foods that are mostly fillers.

I have noticed with my dogs, though, that being on Now! Grain Free Seniors for the last couple of years, has actually helped them drop a few pounds, but still with a reasonable protein level of 24% (I can't go any higher with Bacca because of his liver issues). I think my dogs coats are in pretty good condition overall. Could they be better? Possibly, but the tradeoff is weight. And yes, I can cut back on food, etc. but since it seems to be working, I'm not inclined to change it.

So I guess it really goes back to what's in the food! Unfortunately, there is no magic numbers to say how much protein/fat/carbs, etc. You can only judge by your own dogs and your own research.
 
Thanks for the info. That was really helpful, and something to consider going forward if and when I need to change food.

I can appreciate that your situation is a little different than most and I can certainly appreciate that lower end foods don't do the trick. I would certainly discourage anyone from going on senior foods that are mostly fillers.

I have noticed with my dogs, though, that being on Now! Grain Free Seniors for the last couple of years, has actually helped them drop a few pounds, but still with a reasonable protein level of 24% (I can't go any higher with Bacca because of his liver issues). I think my dogs coats are in pretty good condition overall. Could they be better? Possibly, but the tradeoff is weight. And yes, I can cut back on food, etc. but since it seems to be working, I'm not inclined to change it.

So I guess it really goes back to what's in the food! Unfortunately, there is no magic numbers to say how much protein/fat/carbs, etc. You can only judge by your own dogs and your own research.

From what I've read all the formulas of Now are really good, probably due to being grain free. From the pictures you have posted it looks like Indy and Bacca have beautiful coats.
 
I totally agree with Rachel on this one. Back a year ago,we were faced with Earnhardt needing to loose 18lbs. And our vet did NOT suggest a senior diet,or a weight management food. He does'nt believe in them at all.

His comment was" it's not the quality...its the quanity". When you look at the dogs true matabolism,you use common sense. He suggested cutting 20% of his intake per day.

We measure food here,and are very diligent about it.All 4 get fed compeltely differant rations.We feed one brand.

Mia was getting to be a tank after her spay.She is very tiny,and she was up to 18-1/2 lbs in no time. She now has maintained her weight at 14lbs.And looks much better. Plus with the added weight,she started favoring that leg that had been broken prior to coming here. She is fed 1/4c- twice daily.

Trapp,Jasper are both fed 1/2c twice daily.Jasper at times will get fed a it more,but his metabloisim is over the top.
Both have weighed 20-21# for ages.They don't fluctuate.

Earnhardt is fed 1c twice daily. He has lost his 18lbs,closer to 20 and looks & motivates 100% better. He now weighs 80lbs.

I have never free fed a dog,I could not here with any of them.They would eat till they popped.
 
...

I knew that thread was going to be brought up. I didn't want to it because people get so offended but im affended and obviously im going to defend myself. I dont think free feeding is starving your dog. I think only 1/2 a cup a day sure as h*ll is, for an active breed if you are doing activity with it like you should be, DAILY. I told my whole family and their mouths dropped and they said your kidding? So no im not alone on that at all... that is what you feed a yorkie that sleeps all day.

If you have to feed your dog 1/2 a a cup a day to keep their weight down, your arn't exercising them enough. A sheltie is more than a beautiful dog. it is an active herding breed, dont own one if your not going to do vigorous activity with it. Anyways. The vet said she is fine at her weight but she could loose one pound ideally. I was looking for options on a diet or low cal food. Acana lit and fit looks like a great option and im going to buy that next time. I have her on ranch lands currently. Im probably going to get it from all of you but you asked for it. I wasnt going to bring that up again, but if some of you are going to pick at me for it, then that's what you get. Thanks to the people who stayed on topic and tried it help me with my original post!:smile2:
 
Back
Top