Over weight in the winter= senior formula?

Then you just answered your own question. :wink2: If you're going to keep feeding her the same amount and want her to lose weight, you need to increase her daily exercise. If winter is coming up and you can't exercise her outdoors, then you need to look into ways to exercise her indoors like a treadmill, etc.

1/2 a cup a day to maintain normal body weight is not starving your dog. There are many, many harmful illnesses that can be caused by an overweight dog. There are no illnesses (that I can think of) caused by feeding less to maintain an healthy weight.
 
I knew that thread was going to be brought up. I didn't want to it because people get so offended but im affended and obviously im going to defend myself. I dont think free feeding is starving your dog. I think only 1/2 a cup a day sure as h*ll is, for an active breed if you are doing activity with it like you should be, DAILY. I told my whole family and their mouths dropped and they said your kidding? So no im not alone on that at all... that is what you feed a yorkie that sleeps all day.

If you have to feed your dog 1/2 a a cup a day to keep their weight down, your arn't exercising them enough. A sheltie is more than a beautiful dog. it is an active herding breed, dont own one if your not going to do vigorous activity with it. Anyways. The vet said she is fine at her weight but she could loose one pound ideally. I was looking for options on a diet or low cal food. Acana lit and fit looks like a great option and im going to buy that next time. I have her on ranch lands currently. Im probably going to get it from all of you but you asked for it. I wasnt going to bring that up again, but if some of you are going to pick at me for it, then that's what you get. Thanks to the people who stayed on topic and tried it help me with my original post!:smile2:

You hoped that people would not bring up that other threadup because you are not making sense and you know it.

I have not been insulting, nor has anyone else, we're just stating facts which you yourself said and giving you advice that you asked for. I'd ask YOU to afford others the same respect instead of hurling insults and making accusations.

I'd also like to point out that no one has gone off topic, they've given you their BEST advice, its just not what you want them to say.

You can take people's advice or leave it, simple as that. But please remain respectful, as every one else has.
 
...

It makes perfect sense? I said, my sheltie gains more weight in the winter because where i live, we are limited to activity. And im looking for advice on feeding a senior or low cal food in the winter only. If its ok for a young adult dog. I specifically said in my OP that i am NOT looking for advice on low portions as i will not feed my dog limited portions, nor will the family i live with. I didn't want people to waste their time trying to tell me to feed less when i will not do that. Whether or not you think im right or wrong, im simply looking for other options. I would have been respectful if people hadn't said things like why am i even asking this question? or picking at me for a post i posted a year ago, which is simply my own opinion? Just ridiculous really.
 
I dont think people are picking at you, you came and asked for help, that is why you asked your original question is it not? you asked what to do for feeding because you dog is overweight in the winter due to being inactive because of your weather. There are two options to fix this issue, 1 cut back their food intake because they obviously are doing less exercise so they do not need the same amount or get your dog out doing different activities and thinking outside the box to have him lose weight.

Those are the only two fixes for you problem. People have posted it every way from tuesday, if you dont want to do this that is fine. drop it and move on and do what you want, noone is holding your hand to the flame saying you have to do this!
 
Alyssa,

I know you are getting lots of information overload here. When it comes to feeding our dogs, we can be a little opinionated on this forum. You are not the first to get more than your bargained for when you asked a question! :eek2::sadsmile:

Ultimately, you have to go with your gut. I personally have no issue with a high quality "senior's" food - because I use it myself - but mostly because I wanted low protein grain-free. I think my concern would be what seniors food are you considering?

The positive side-effect is that both my boys have lost a few pounds that they needed to lose. And for the record, my boys each get 2/3 cup, 2 times per day....but they get virtually no other treats besides. Some would say that's over-feeding, and with any other food, I would agree.

That being said, if I wanted them to lose more, my choices are less food/more exercise. And with winter coming on, I expect I will be cutting them back to 1/2 cup, 2 times per day for maintenance.


btw....if your dog is outside alot in very deep cold, I also would not cut back alot either. Building up a little fat in prep for winter is normal for animals (and humans too, for that matter! :lol:) for warmth.
 
I knew that thread was going to be brought up. I didn't want to it because people get so offended but im affended and obviously im going to defend myself. I dont think free feeding is starving your dog. I think only 1/2 a cup a day sure as h*ll is, for an active breed if you are doing activity with it like you should be, DAILY. I told my whole family and their mouths dropped and they said your kidding? So no im not alone on that at all... that is what you feed a yorkie that sleeps all day.

We never said free feeding is starving your dog. It is insulting for you to accuse people of starving their dogs. Why would you ask advice on a forum if you thought people were starving their dogs?


Lacey'sMamma said:
Im probably going to get it from all of you but you asked for it. I wasnt going to bring that up again, but if some of you are going to pick at me for it, then that's what you get. Thanks to the people who stayed on topic and tried it help me with my original post!:smile2:


I don't think anyone was picking on you, we just stated opinions based on experiences, you did not like our opinions. You have been accusing and insulting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would be checking with my vet before switching a young dog over to a senior food for four or five months. Your vet is the best person to discuss any food changes with, as they know your dog.

By the way, Emma and Liam both get 1/3 cup twice a day plus green beans. The vet asked me to cut Liam back from a cup because he felt he was gaining too much weight. Liam is the more active of the two but is doing just fine on a limited amount of food, plus his three small cookies a day.

Just curious - besides the food, what do you use for training/treats? Don't forget to add this into the mixtue when you are looking at cutting back or switching foods.
 
Last edited:
Hi Barb :smile2: , nasty thread.. but interesting reading.. My dogs are still on horizons,, but i ordered some totw this week..
 
Back
Top