Pepper’s first heat and we’re all suffering

I guess I'm lucky, Minnie's heat was very easy. Minimal whining and no need for panties, a few tiny spots of blood a day

I am dealing with my pup’s first heat right now. Nola is 8 months old now and we HAD planned to have her spayed last month, but COVID-19 closed off that option. She is whiny and restless, howling more than normal (she normally howls some, just to enjoy her own singing) bleeding a little, but no real need for panties, yet. How soon after the heat is it safe to spay her? We have a tentative appointment for 15 May, if the vet is allowed to resume elective surgery, but will that be too soon? Thanks!

Lynne
 
How soon after the heat is it safe to spay her? We have a tentative appointment for 15 May, if the vet is allowed to resume elective surgery, but will that be too soon? Thanks!

Lynne

No, your vet won't (or shouldn't) spay her that soon after her season. The usual waiting time is two to three months after a heat for the hormone levels to return to normal. I'd reschedule your appointment. At least by then things should be open again!
 
THANK YOU for mentioning pyo, Lisa! How could I have forgotten that? Yes, it's a constant worry in my intact girls. Lacey had to be spayed because of pyo. It can be silent or with symptoms, but you just don't know until it strikes, usually around two months after a heat season.
Scared the heck out of me Ann when my girl got it. I had no idea what it was or the risk even. Only sign I had that something was wrong was a little bit of discharge but the vet picked up on it immediately. Two types I think, open and closed (I believe they're referring to the uterus) closed is much more deadly because the pus can't get out and dog would get sick fast.
I guarantee you an emergency spay is way more expensive and the dog may not survive.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
No, your vet won't (or shouldn't) spay her that soon after her season. The usual waiting time is two to three months after a heat for the hormone levels to return to normal. I'd reschedule your appointment. At least by then things should be open again!

Thanks! We had scheduled that May appointment before she went into heat. We will give them a call tomorrow and move it out July or August.
 
Back
Top