Pepper’s first heat and we’re all suffering

Ok, so Kiki is 9 months old, and hasn't done this yet. I would like to breed her, but I don't know just what to expect. Do they have to keep on a diaper? Are there any warning signs before bleeding?
 
No, there really aren't signs. One day you'll just notice some spotting. A heat season runs about 3 weeks in most girls, and you should be prepared with some panties for her that you can put a light sanitary pad in to keep her (and your house) clean. You can find them online.

There's lots of homework to be done before you consider breeding, though. A dog really should not be bred before her second season, around age 2. Their bodies aren't mature enough. And there are a variety of tests that should be done first: hip xrays, eyes, and several others. I strongly recommend you connect with a Sheltie breeder who can guide you through the process, perhaps the one you got your girl from.
 
Not preaching, just some words to think on...
breedingquality.jpg
 
No, there really aren't signs. One day you'll just notice some spotting. A heat season runs about 3 weeks in most girls, and you should be prepared with some panties for her that you can put a light sanitary pad in to keep her (and your house) clean. You can find them online.

There's lots of homework to be done before you consider breeding, though. A dog really should not be bred before her second season, around age 2. Their bodies aren't mature enough. And there are a variety of tests that should be done first: hip xrays, eyes, and several others. I strongly recommend you connect with a Sheltie breeder who can guide you through the process, perhaps the one you got your girl from.

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I knew about the 2nd year being the first breeding. I did not know about all the other things. Good info. She has AKC papers, but lots to think about.
For females, besides breeding, are there any other pros to them being intact?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For females, besides breeding, are there any other pros to them being intact?

There are some limited studies that show that intact females are less prone to breast cancer, but that has not historically been a problem in Shelties although it can happen. Current recommendations are to wait past one heat season before spaying to give the body the hormones it needs to mature before spaying to avoid that.

As for breeding being a plus, ask any breeder and they'll tell you unless you're really committed in improving the breed, it's not. A littler of puppies will cost you more than the amount you can sell them for. There are stud fees, ultrasounds, xrays, supplements, vet visits, and the possibility of needing a C section that will run you four figures. That's before you even get to the puppies, who have their own set of needs in terms of supplies and veterinary care before they're old enough to go to homes. I don't know any breeder who has ever made a profit on a litter. And Shelties don't have the litter sizes of larger breeds...a typical litter is four to six puppies, with six being the exception. As they age, litters drop below four.

As I said, if you're interested in breeding, do talk with a Sheltie breeder who can guide and help you. It really is not nearly as simple as you'd think.
 
Also another issue that a unaltered female can have is pyometra. It can strike at any age (there's really no rhyme or reason to when) and can kill a dog within 24 hours. My last female had it (I didn't know about it then) ...took her to vet on a Friday morning because I thought she had a UTI and he asked me is she spayed and I said no. He told me right away we had to do an emergency spay...3000$ later and she was ok (this was about 10 years ago so imagine a much higher bill today) but if I'd spayed her at a younger age I could've save some money and not risked losing her.
 
Back
Top