Pico's Neuter

Pico is definitely NOT stoic, He is a drama queen!
he refuses to move (and will sit in the middle of the parking lot) when I take him out to go pee.
if I pick him up he cries out.
Now I get he is tender down there but I am pretty careful to pick him up without touching his ouchies and supporting his bum.

he isn't mad at me...he just wants treats to go out to pee!
 
Glad he came through his neuter fine; he does look quite out of it.

He seems so similar to Deacon! Yes, undescended testicles are fairly common in shelties; Brodie's just just prior, Deacon's, as with Pico, was settled comfortably in his abdomen. Note... Deacon still, at 3, will not lie down for me to groom him on that side even if I am tender with it. I did the suit when I could supervise and the suit with a donut (more comfy than a cone) when I could not. Recovery time is longer due to that abdominal incision, but I bet he will be feeling better in a few days and then the struggle to keep them quiet begins!

Guess it comes from my days with doxies, but being slim and trim is a positive thing in my eyes. Deacon is maybe 14" and weighs 16 lbs. When wet he looks like a whippet - he has a VERY thick coat and is about 6 times the diameter when dry. I monitor my boys weight very carefully. My trainer uses the hand... held open, palm down, run your opposite hand across the stationary one - that is the feel you want with the rib cage. Flip your hand over, run your hand across the your knuckles on the palm of your hand - that is an overweight dog. Make a fist and run your knuckles across one final time - that is an underweight dog.
 
So insurance wont cover it since it is considered preventative. Now if it was causing pain or problems it would be covered. I was hoping they would cover the extra cryptorchid bit at least (with my deductible it would have been a non payment).

Last night was ROUGH. poor guy would not settle and we had potty runs at 10:30, 11, and midnight, and 2AM.
I gave him 2 CBD treats at midnight and a gabapentin hoping that would help. He is still sleeping now.
I know he drank more water than usual to make up for not drinking much the day before, but that was extreme.
 
I wasn't trying to NOT give him gabapentin, he just seemed so out of it when we went to bed.
His neuter was so late in the day, things just wore off late.
and the IV fluids makes sense. I was getting worried since midnight pee is unheard of for Pico.
I had nightmares of him having long lasting urinary problems due to surgery!
havent seen signs of pain, he was super snuggly and kept moving around. poor guy just had to go pee

They finished up with him around 3PM, and he was still coming out of it at 5PM when i picked him up.
 
Back
Top