Pico's Neuter

Pico is still very subdued. will follow me around but sits randomly. might be the suit? whenever i take him out to pee and loosen the suit, all he wants to do is lick the incision so it must be bothering him. eating and drinking well, but only 1 bark since he has been home (for food).

I put one of the pads from his doggie wraps/diapers in his suit, so if he does lick the suit to get to the incision it doesn't get wet.
 
Pico is still very subdued. will follow me around but sits randomly. might be the suit? whenever i take him out to pee and loosen the suit, all he wants to do is lick the incision so it must be bothering him. eating and drinking well, but only 1 bark since he has been home (for food).

I put one of the pads from his doggie wraps/diapers in his suit, so if he does lick the suit to get to the incision it doesn't get wet.


Yeah maybe the cone of shame would work as sheep said-- we used the inflatable cones and if you get the correct size and shape they can't get around there to do any licking and yet they can move around the house pretty well. Good luck Pico this will be over soon and life will once again be good and fun..
 
He has me worried....he is not acting like himself at all.
I hate to say it, but I would welcome a bark or a howl right now.

It feels like this is related to him being so small....more fragile.
Gavin bounced back pretty quickly but then he was 2x Pico.

I figured he would slowly start perking up today but no real change.
I hope he (and I) sleep better tonite!
Drugs start at 9 PM!
 
Maybe he just doesn't like the suit and it is uncomfortable especially at the tender area, When Teddy had his done we used the air filled blowup CoS. It worked much better than the hard plastic one that Miss April wore back in the day. Poor thing would sudden stop going thru doors with that one.
 
One advantage of the cone of shame is fresh air on the stitches.

I used both the donut and suit as I've said, one reason is what Sheep noted - fresh air. I kept Deacon's suit on, just snapped the backs legs up front so he has a shirt on versus a suit and then added the donut. Deacon didn't like getting in and out of the suit... Have you looked at the incisions? They will itch as they heal, just like us humans heal and itch, and they can be bothered by that.

I also agree with Ann on keeping on top of pain stuff - that too will make him feel out of it.
 
I agree with everyone who's suggested the inflatable donut. It's my go-to although I have used the suit for some things. It seems to me they don't mind the donut as much and get used to it faster.

The gabapentin will make him drifty, so that isn't a surprise. Also the anesthesia stays in their systems for several days...I think it's 70-some hours. As long as he's interested in his food, eating and going potty, I'd give him a day or two to perk up. But if you're concerned, you know your dog best, do call the vet and check in tomorrow. I hope you had a better night and he's improved today!
 
Yes my cone of shame comment extends to the donut, Sca would have played bumper Sca instead of bulldozer if he had one. All my other guys did not bother things. Ian thought on it but I told him stop and after a day or so he did not even try. But then none got cut as bad as poor Pico who needs extra cookies and petting.....
 
donut arrives today. the vet acts like the suit is the end all, but as useful as it is....
he seems to feel like the suit is punishing him. Although he is REALLY good about letting me put it on, sweet guy.
it will definitely be on when I have to leave him if only because it seems to keep him sedate. I do work this week and all.
loving his food like usual.
still VERY quiet.
definitely peeing on schedule.
incisions looks good although I can tell they bother him. he walks a bit funny at times, I think they tug a bit on his right side.
 
Back
Top