Piper update

You’re absolutely right Ron!
I see all too often on Facebook groups people asking for recommendations of a cheap vet. Why would anyone want a cheap vet? I want a vet who cares as much about my dogs as I do!
Because people are cheap. Now I am not criticizing frugal and getting the value you pay for is smart. Then of course you have to figure what you can afford to pay for. But cheap people are their own worst enemy. You see the same thing when people get dogs via back yard breeders or worse puppy mills. All to often any money they saved gets negated by an unhealthy dog.
 
I want one who has done the procedure before and had successfully completed whatever it was. I pay for experience.
Bad example is Teddys Spyder bite. The first few pictures are their young vet and then senior vet who shaves him drained the boo-boo and has him on the road to being healed .First Vet antibiotic cream second vet pain meds and antibiotic pills Same practice.
Do you have a regular vet there that you generally see all the time?
My last dog before Sheltie’s was a Cocker with major allergies and ear problems. Ironically it was the older vet who was sloppy and didn’t do a proper job of treating her ear infections. I saw the younger vet and he was more up on the treatment. From that point on (and my dog was 10 maybe) we were able to keep the infections at bay, of course she was deaf by then. I switched vet’s when I got Riley to the vet he was seeing so maybe 12 years now.
 
I have used the same Clinic for 24 years but as his older Vet said they have a lot of turnover. My wife's coworker told her what they do at the farm so I will do the same.
I insist on 1 vet do all his GBM work, he is their soft tissue Dr. But he did say he would send me elsewhere if he needs GB removal as he has not done that procedure. I trust him and appreciate his honesty.
 
After 10 years, I switched vets last week. Now that Zulu is older, I decided to get a fresh look at him. What a difference. Totally different atmosphere, they made Zulu feel right at home. The vet asked me a lot of questions, I asked her a lot of questions. Left feeling I made the right decision to make the change.
 
Glad it turned out well for you! I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my vet and it makes all the difference in the world if they are collaborative. She welcomes my input and knows that I really KNOW my dogs and when something's off. So important to have that trust in your vet.
 
Piper had his final check up and he got the all clear! No more check ups and no more cone! Piper will be VERY happy tonight!

Funny thing was during our wait (our appointment was at 10:30 this morning and they were very backed up) there were 2 other Sheltie’s in the waiting room! Initially I sat next to a lady who said she had a Sheltie that was getting an X-ray (Nugget)…she said he had a limp that came and went (only 3)…more on that later…
Shortly after another couple came in with their 4 year old female (both Sables). All dogs got along great (I normally wouldn’t allow Piper near any other dog but of course Sheltie’s are different!) and although I’m partial Piper was the nicest looking and best groomed (and smallest) of all 3!
When I finally got in to see my vet (also Nugget’s vet) I told her about our little Sheltie party and I mentioned that I’d met Nugget…I jokingly (sort of haha) said Nugget is a bit of a nugget :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and maybe his shoulder wouldn’t be sore if he lost a few!

on a different note my vet told me she has another dog that needs the same surgery as Piper and another vet there had a dog (client) that also needs it! What’s going on that 3 dogs from the same clinic would need the same surgery??? I didn’t ask my vet if it was the same type of cancer or even if it was cancer (although she said it was the same I’m just assuming). In 20+ years prior to Piper my vet did this surgery twice, now in less than 2 months she has 2 dogs requiring it!
I need to make an appointment to get Blueberry spayed and I will ask her then if the other two dogs had cancer.
 
Back
Top