plaque spray for dogs-does it work?

Barb that link doesnt work for those of us in the US.

Cheryl Do you scale with your dog on his side? Thats how I do it and with a gauze I can just wipe away before they swallow it...or atleast the big pieces...Im sure some little flecks must get swallowed...Id be interested to hear Ashleys or dr Shellis expert opinion though!

The link didn't work either, but I just clicked the Cancel button so I could see what the product was. Really looked like a loofah, I chuckled.

Miko is sitting up when I do anything teeth related. And sadly, in his old age, he's becoming more difficult.
 
My apologies....I had no idea...that's very weird.....Perhaps some others from the US can try the link and confirm what Linda has found?

Try this

http://dogpetboutique.com/p469/Organic_Loofah_Beach_Set/product_info.html

And more about loofah in general....

http://www.pawesome.net/2011/01/loofah-chew-toys/

p.s. I've not tried it on my dogs as yet.....but I plan to....

The loofah chew toys seems fine. I can see it scrubbing the teeth a bit. And Indie did enjoy chewing on it for a while...

Unfortunately, it's become a little bit unpleasant and annoying. It would pick up any kind of hair and can somehow wrap it all around itself and become a felted hair toy. :ick Be sure to let your dog chew it on hardwood floors only!
 
Ashley (or anyone else),

I'm curious. What does your husband say about scaling? I know a lot of times the plaque that comes off can be harmful to the dogs (or even humans when our dentist does it). And usually dogs like to just swallow that stuff.

Is it harmful? What can you do to prevent the dog from swallowing the scaled off plaque?

Miko has kidney failure and I know plaque can be very harmful to his system, so I worry about scaling. I wonder how it it affects healthy dogs.

I pointed you out since your hubby is a dentist. Thanks.

Alright, from my husband:

Eating what you scale from the tooth isn't harmful. Calculus (the stuff you're scaling off) is just the soft plaque that you normally brush off your teeth that has a chance to calcify and become hard. It's basically bacteria.

The bacteria in the stuff that you're scaling is bacteria that your dog has in its mouth all the time anyway.

The only thing to be concerned about is if your dog's immune system is diminished it could potential get an infection through the gums from your scaling. But, it wouldn't be the calculus that would cause the infection, it would be the cutting of the gums when you scale. Usually it's not an issue, but it's something to think about.
 
Alright, from my husband:

Eating what you scale from the tooth isn't harmful. Calculus (the stuff you're scaling off) is just the soft plaque that you normally brush off your teeth that has a chance to calcify and become hard. It's basically bacteria.

The bacteria in the stuff that you're scaling is bacteria that your dog has in its mouth all the time anyway.

The only thing to be concerned about is if your dog's immune system is diminished it could potential get an infection through the gums from your scaling. But, it wouldn't be the calculus that would cause the infection, it would be the cutting of the gums when you scale. Usually it's not an issue, but it's something to think about.

Thank your hubby for the info, and thanks for posting it. I didn't know that. I always thought swallowing the calculus is what was bad. Really good info to know.
 
Back
Top