plaque spray for dogs-does it work?

Oxyfresh ingredients right off of the bottle: Water, Sodium Chlorite, Zinc Acetate, Sodium Citrate, Chlorophylin-Copper Complex, Sodium Benzoate,Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.



Kate
 
Zak had a problem with plaque and I brush every night and use CET oral rinse, I used that every night till the plaque was gone now I use it everyother night. Dr. Shelli and my vet told me to use this product.
 
I used to use a rinse to mix in with the water, but what works best for us is an electric toothbrush (it's a small single head). I brush Indie's teeth twice a week and he has very little plaque.

The vet is always impressed :cool: with the lack of plaque he has for his age.

As far as noise or vibration goes, Indie doesn't mind it at all. The battle comes in him wanting to eat the chicken-flavoured toothpaste and his tongue is all over the place.
 
We use CET toothpaste and Shelby too is more interested in trying to lick the toothpasre off the brush. I have a hard time getting her front because she is constantly licking the brush. And she has such a cute underbite but that is where all the dirtsl sticks.
 
I had been using the Plaque Off and my vet complimented me on Miko's teeth. That is, until I took a closer look. What we were seeing was a nice pale coating of plaque that covered his entire tooth. I think I may have to get him a dental because scaling isn't good for his kidneys (remember, he's got kidney failure). I scaled some of it, but made sure to catch it with some gauze so he didn't eat it.

Obviously, it didn't do anything. And strangely, this was in conjunction with me brushing every few days. Miko now gets his teeth brushed a LOT more than he'd like. In fact, he's starting to hate the whole teeth brushing procedure. He used to put up with it.

As for the seaweed one, it does help reduce tarter and plaque buildup, BUT, what I saw with my two boys is that after awhile, it's like it stopped working, because where the tarter would come off easily when brushed, it didn't anymore. And then, they started getting even more than normal buildup. I thought that was the strangest thing, so I didn't purchase a second container. The first lasted them about a year.

I gotta say, I am amazed at how much hard food, like kibble, actually does help with tarter. Miko's teeth have never been worse, now that he eats only soft foods.
 
Look at the ingredients of the spray on plaque remover. I stopped using it. I now brush and scale.

Dani
Staymat Magnificent Journey UD
Armitage Dazzling Spun Gold CDX, RAE
Double Dare Derrick CD, RAE
Blackmyst Poker Face - puppy
 
I always recommend that you use either the spray or water additive to LOOSEN the plaque, but that you supplement with a quality chew that actually then removes it.

Deer Antlers are great chews....particularly in the larger sizes because they tend to have more ridges. I also recommend Paragon dental chews....no additives (just potatoe), and lots of ridges to grind away. I'm also getting great feedback on loofah chews

http://www.petvalu.com/in-our-store/products/dog/hip-doggie-loofah-dog-toy-bone
 
Ashley (or anyone else),

I'm curious. What does your husband say about scaling? I know a lot of times the plaque that comes off can be harmful to the dogs (or even humans when our dentist does it). And usually dogs like to just swallow that stuff.

Is it harmful? What can you do to prevent the dog from swallowing the scaled off plaque?

Miko has kidney failure and I know plaque can be very harmful to his system, so I worry about scaling. I wonder how it it affects healthy dogs.

I pointed you out since your hubby is a dentist. Thanks.
 
Barb that link doesnt work for those of us in the US.

Cheryl Do you scale with your dog on his side? Thats how I do it and with a gauze I can just wipe away before they swallow it...or atleast the big pieces...Im sure some little flecks must get swallowed...Id be interested to hear Ashleys or dr Shellis expert opinion though!
 
Barb that link doesnt work for those of us in the US.

Cheryl Do you scale with your dog on his side? Thats how I do it and with a gauze I can just wipe away before they swallow it...or atleast the big pieces...Im sure some little flecks must get swallowed...Id be interested to hear Ashleys or dr Shellis expert opinion though!

My apologies....I had no idea...that's very weird.....Perhaps some others from the US can try the link and confirm what Linda has found?

Try this

http://dogpetboutique.com/p469/Organic_Loofah_Beach_Set/product_info.html

And more about loofah in general....

http://www.pawesome.net/2011/01/loofah-chew-toys/

p.s. I've not tried it on my dogs as yet.....but I plan to....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top