Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Please help to rescue Minnie in Charlotte, VT - PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by ghggp, May 22, 2019.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I always thought the Amish respected animals and had integrity.

Ok, I admit, I am naive. :banghead:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Everything I have heard is they are horrible and among the worst puppy mill animals.

KarenCurtis, Sharon7, Ann and 2 others like this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Gloria - Luckily I first saw your post now - so I saw the good news :hugs

- I get really so sad when I see such a little soul :cry:

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  4. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018

I wasn't aware of that either. I bought Devon from an Amish family near Ft. Wayne. He came with full AKC papers, a vet certificate showing that he'd had his initial shots, and his dew claws had been removed. Both times I was there (once when he was 4 weeks old and I chose him, and again at 8 weeks to pick him up), I didn't see anything amiss. They had the mother and the puppies in the barn, but the barn was the cleanest barn I'd ever seen; you could eat off of the concrete floor.

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Exceptions to all rules but the Amish are noted for treating animals poorly. Glad to hear your experience breaks the trend but I would generally avoid a breeder that was Amish.

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  6. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    There was a woman that worked with me a number of years ago who grew up on a farm out on the plains somewhere. We got into a conversation once about animals, and pets in particular. She told me that until she lived in the city she never grasped the concept of an animal as a pet and something that one would have an emotional attachment to. On the farm she grew up on animals were there to be productive. Some worked to earn their keep, some were there to be used for food or sold for food at harvest, and others provided things like wool and milk. She said that they were never deliberately cruel to their animals, but that they didn't feel an emotional attachment to them either. To her as a girl growing up, animals meant money in the fall for school clothes and supplies, and a few presents under the tree at Christmas.

I suspect that this is how most Amish view animals. That said, the picture at the beginning of this thread does look like that dog had been abused. Keeping a dog in a cage 24 hours a day does constitute abuse in my book.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Hanne, Calliesmom and SheepOfBlue like this.