Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Question on third eye lid

Discussion in 'General Health' started by ghggp, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    He is a momma’s boy!;)

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Causes-of-Dog-Third-Eyelid-Showing

I found an interesting article on the third eyelid and it mentioned dehydration. Actually, Liam has been sick for about a week and when I brought him into the vet they checked his gum color and noticed he was quite tacky meaning he was dehydrated.

So like many of you have mentioned, it has been noticed but resolves over time.

RikyR and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Faith has always had her third eye lid visible, more so in the left eye. It's never been a problem, looks a little funny though. And I agree, Liam's close up shows a sweet face!! Interesting to me, my black girls have much smaller eyes than all my sables, including Eli. They aren't tiny, but just noticeably smaller than the brown dogs. Anyone else with multiple dogs notice that?

A friend has Collies, and her new puppy has the tiniest eyes - it looks really strange. Seems to be a trend in that breed, which I find sad.

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Baron has smaller eyes and he is a tri. I have noticed Collie eyes getting small and I also find it sad!

Sharon7 likes this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie has small eyes too and she a tri :wink2:

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Tully has huge eyes (more like Poms), Deska's were smaller and more almond shaped. Tully's a true mahogany sable - so half Tri and half Shaded Sable. But I tend to see the bigger eyes in the smaller dogs (and British lines).

When Tully gets dehydrated her eyes get bigger, whereas Deska's would sink in. His third eye lid used to show alot. I think it may have been when he was tired.

ghggp likes this.
  7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    My sable has very small features. Small eyes, nose and ears.... her mouth on the other hand is very large! bark, bark bark.

Hanne, Calliesmom, Caro and 2 others like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck:lol:

Calliesmom, Caro and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Decided to do a comparison of my 2 using photoshop - I always knew Deska had a big nose but honestly, you'd think they were almost different breeds with the angles on the head. Overall the shape is the same when I overlay them, it's the difference in eye placement that made them so different. Btw - can you see the 3rd eyelid on Deska's right, that's the one that always showed.

DT-heads-compare.jpg

Let me know if you want me to photoshop yours.

ghggp likes this.