rawhides

I recently heard that you shouldn't give rawhides to your pets, but always gave them to Kate and Logan (my angels) and there were no issues. Decided to look into it and this is what I found: http://www.daneangelnetwork.org/rawhide.htm

Thinking there are plenty of other things out there - bully sticks, trachea, texas taffy, etc. - which Zoe loves - staying away from rawhide. Of course when I find out how they make her other treats, I may be sorry I started this.

Thanks for the Blue Brothers clip!
 
I recently heard that you shouldn't give rawhides to your pets, but always gave them to Kate and Logan (my angels) and there were no issues. Decided to look into it and this is what I found: http://www.daneangelnetwork.org/rawhide.htm

Thinking there are plenty of other things out there - bully sticks, trachea, texas taffy, etc. - which Zoe loves - staying away from rawhide. Of course when I find out how they make her other treats, I may be sorry I started this.

Thanks for the Blue Brothers clip!

These are the treats we feed our puppies:

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produ...tegoryId=222&categoryId=286&subCategoryId=611

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-ca...rillerz-chicken-stripz-dog-chew-6-oz--2428602

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Smokehouse-Chicken-Tenders-8-oz-Dogs/8222876

Basically, chicken jerky. I've also seen them in duck.

All of my dogs go crazy for them, and I can break them up by hand.
 
I give rawhides from time to time. Bailey is a very slow chewer. She's had a candy cane shaped rawhide from xmas and has barely made a dent in it.

She loves bully sticks too, but they're a little hard on her stomach and she chews them more aggressively.
 
I've been giving my boys rawhide bones but over the last week watching how aggressively they go after those bones, I'm rethinking the only thing. They are not just chewing on them, but eating them as well.

I, like others, will be looking for other choices. Thanks for the posts so far!
 
I know I can get safe, locally made rawhide - no additives no preservatives. It helps giving mine different sizes (deska venison, Tully sheep) then they dont fight over it, they each know which is theirs. Also, Deska is a much heavier chewer so needs a bigger treat than little Tully.

We had a scare last year over Chicken Breast (100% dried) and several dogs died while others got kidney damage. Turns out 100% doesnt include the additives and preservatives or anything else to help form the product. The product came from either China or Thailand. A lot of people used to buy it (including me) because it looked healthy, many of these products usually have sugar or salt added. So I feel better giving something when I know exactly what it is, where it comes from and how it is made.
 
There was a thing about Merricks cow tails today in our paper. I need to go get Zak and Maggie some. They can't choke on these can they?
 
I give raw hide to my two all the time, supervised. I take it away when it gets small so that they don't choke.

The chewing helps to keep their teeth clean and also pacifies them.

I make sure to only buy raw hide made in the USA or Canada.
 
Che is not partial to rawhides but likes flossies, braided and bully sticks, now less than before, he used to be more chewer at age of 12 weeks than is now at 5 months...
he inhales only chicken necks...
 
Back
Top