Really Worried

Sophie-

I myself am terrified of larger dogs. It is even worse when you are terrified of them yourself, and then on top of trying to get away from an aggressive dog then you have to worry about your own dog on top of it!

There is an Aussie who lives next door to my grandmother. It scares the bee-jebus out of me. I am not afraid of Aussies as a whole, but I don't like this one. This Aussie also hates Smudge. So when he comes around I pick Smudge up and run as fast as a 260+ pound chick can run. :biggrin2:

I doubt you can pick up Cadbury though!

There is often times a friendly black lab that comes into our yard. After some asking around I am sure it is our neighbor's from a few houses down. I want it away from my dogs, but I don't want to hurt it. So my Mom came up with a brilliant plan.

I got two words for ya: Air Horn.

The lab takes off running everytime.

I doubt this would work if you were out walking, but if you notice it out in your yard it might help. Here you can get an air horn for about $4.

Those larger dogs are so scary especially when they are aggressive, because not only are they mean they are POWERFUL. I really don't know a good solution to your problem. I myself have been looking for something to protect myself. Out in the sticks nobody keeps their dogs up, and not many people want to socialize their dogs. It's a recipe for diaster when you are out walking. A mean, larger breed dog can tear you or your dog to shreds in no time!
 
I am sorry you are having to go through this. The others have given wonderful advice, but I do hope someone can take in the dog who killed the cat as onviously he's been raised abusively to behave in such a way :(
 
Unfortunately, unless the dogs actually hurt a person, it would be considered a civil matter not a criminal matter. If no one saw him with the dogs and at that time saw them attack the cat or another dog or God forbid a person or a child, it would be hearsay evidence and end up in a he said/she said confrontation.

Carry a large stick when you go out walking. If he lets the staffies run loose, then you can be pretty sure that they are not well trained. My instinct would say he is doing this for intimidation towards his "ex" and her family and then her neighbours. And if the harrassment order is like a peace bond here, they're not worth the paper they are printed on.
 
That is what I am thinking, but the police are being unhelpful. Unfortunately they are just not interested in this sort of incident. That is why I have suggested environmental health to the cat owner - at the end of the day if the authorities have been told then they will be liable if these dogs harm a person.

I always take my phone and walk at busy times and people know where I am going.

I don't think this man is directly using the dogs to intimidate, but it is certainly indirectly implied. I hope he disappears soon.
My husband gave me a billy club to carry when I take Sandstorm to an area where dogs frequent- I did stop going there- too many dogs out of control. Can you do that? It may not be enough- but making yourself look big is a good tactic too, using whatever you can find, or simply screaming at the top of your voice! Good luck, it is scary.
Karen
 
I'm sorry (but not hugely surprised) that the police are not very interested in pursuing the incident with the dogs killing the cat. The Dog Warden might still be worth a try but from your second post it sounds like this man is a law unto himself and would not listen to any warnings anyway, especially if he has breached a harrasment order. It makes me very cross that when a dog kills another animal the authorities don't want to know as very often it will happen again and can be a precursor to an attack on a person which could have been prevented earlier:mad:. It might help if you keep a log of any incidents you see with times and dates. I've heard this is very useful as evidence if a prosecution does come about at a later date.
 
When I was teaching classes at Petsmart, there was a man in one of my classes that carries a special walking stick. It has a little taser on the end that saved him and his dog from a "pit attack." The attacking dog yelped and took off the other way. I wasn't there, but it might be something you may want to look into. I have no idea where to start looking to buy one, but here are some other ideas too.


http://self-security.org/walking-stick-taser
 
Thanks everyone. Every time I set foot outside I'm checking for a guy with two staffies.

There are plenty of tips I can take from this thread, someone has also told me to carry a little bottle of hairspray, as it isn't a weapon but if squirted in someone's eyes would make them think twice without causing any permanent damage.

My husband gave me a billy club to carry when I take Sandstorm to an area where dogs frequent- I did stop going there- too many dogs out of control. Can you do that?
Anything that is purely a 'weapon' would be frowned upon by the police. Anything I carry would need to have a mundane purpose (ie. a walking stick) or I could be in trouble for carrying a weapon. That doesn't mean I can't carry something, but it has to be an everyday item. I have considered that when I have Cadbury off lead I carry his lead which has a large, heavy brass clip. If needs be I could swing that and it could give a nasty blow to someone - however that doesn't help if Cadbury is still on lead.

Emmasmom, I had not heard of harrassment orders until this chap got one and you are right they are pretty meaningless. He breached the order and walked to my neighbour's house and spoke with her - she sent him packing. He is however denying he was ever there! So the case will now have to go to court unless he pleads guilty. Plus he is still walking nearby, clearly 'in the area'.

Seaschel, I am cross too that the police take so little notice of these cases when more often then not they will lead to a person being attacked. Unfortunately bull breeds attract the wrong sort of owner. If the police took a bit more interest who knows what future problems could be prevented?

My trainer tells our class about the case that happened last year of the little boy killed by pit bulls being illegally bred. The neighbours had reported the breeding of these dogs and the risk, but the police said they could do nothing. The result is the death of a child and the police are in hot water.

So who knows where this will lead?
 
Watch the hairspray - if you squirt it in someone's eye it might be considered assault. When I go walking, I have a heavy wooden cane of Dad's that I take. I need it for support because of a bad ankle (torn tendon that never got taken care of properly) but it also gives me some peace of mind that I have something to defend myself with.

If the laws there are like here, unless someone actually gets caught in the act or they can trace the dogs back, no much can be done. It would be hearsay evidence and not real reliable in court.
 
Watch the hairspray - if you squirt it in someone's eye it might be considered assault.
It would only be the ultimate last resort, but yes it is a tricky thing. I don't want to get in trouble myself.
 
Back
Top