Remove Greasy Oil From Fur?

I've always given my dogs a half-teaspoon of bacon fat per day, and their coats have been sleek and shiny. Years ago a vet advised I do this when I had a dog that had the worst allergic skin condition you'd ever want to see. For the record, it didn't cure the skin condition, but the effects on the coat were obvious.
 
I love dawn, it tackles anything greasy!!! But if you don't want to bathe her, how about brushing through her fur with corn starch/baby powder, that absorbs grease too.

My pups get coconut oil for fur and for boosting thyroid, I also give them sea veggies sprinkled on their food (it was in one of the dog cookbooks I found and I asked my Vet about it, he said it was a great idea, it contains dulse seaweed which is an EXCELLENT thyroid booster, they love it. I also supplement with cod liver oil for dry skin. At high altitude dry skin for all of us is a constant concern it helps. Anything from the Omega family is fantastic for helping the thyroid. Diet is the key to health for us and our pets!
 
I did brush her with baby powder yesterday morning. It helped more than I expected, but she still had some slick fur. I washed her with Dawn last night. Bailey was not thrilled. Nearly took off my fingers when I rewarded her with a baby carrot. :rolleyes2:

Her fur looks and feels so much better. The fur around her face still looks a little greasy, but it doesn't feel greasy. I didn't put a lot of Dawn in that area because I didn't want to accidentally get any in her eyes. Her fur is not perfect, but I'm sure over time will return to normal.

This is what happens to me whenever I try to do something out of the ordinary...
 
Now that you've stripped out the oil, bathe her again with a good quality conditioning shampoo or mist and brush with a conditioning spray to alleviate any residual dryness in skin and coat. Maybe follow up in a few weeks with another conditioning bath

Is the flaky skin dry or oily. Oily flakes and hair loss might imply hypothyroid. Dry and flaky could be temperature, lack of humidity in house or perhaps food allergies.

As was said already, I prefer dealing with coat issues internally via diet or supplements rather than topical. Topical is a last resort and temporary measure.

I'm a fan of both coconut and salmon oil added to diet. But beware, salmon oil can put on pounds! I used it last winter and Indy turned into a tub of lard. So if you are going to supplement in any way, make sure you look at their overall calorie intake between food, treats and supplements. Many people forget to consider supplements.

Cheers
 
Back
Top