Rescue Shelties and Kids

Lynia

Forums Regular
I, too, have been cruising the rescue sites lately, thinking Toby needs a friend (though I haven't yet persuaded my husband that we can afford the additional vet bills -- and kenneling fees when we go on a doggy-unfriendly vacation). We have two rambunctious, though respectful of animals, 7-year-old boys. Most of the rescue descriptions say that the dog would be better off in a home with no children, or older, quieter kids. Is this the norm with rescues, or are the shelters being overly cautious because of the reserved Sheltie personality? I'd like to consider adoption this time (Toby came from a breeder), but maybe it just won't work for us until the kids are "older and quieter." Any insights into this from those who have dealt with rescue shelters?
 
First of all, hi and welcome to the group. You will find that everyone here is most helpful. Sunchaser, a member in Florida is very involved in rescue work with Shelties and might be able to shed some better light on the subject. I myself was considering adopting from a rescue until they found out that my yard was not fenced. After that they wouldn't consider me. I have since found three very good girls in the newspapers that needed new homes and now my yard is fenced! I think rescues are often cautious because they want to find the right forever home for the dog and not have it return because of issues such as not liking children. And I think they often say no children or no children under 10 because they don't always know the history of the animal and don't want to subject your family to possible issues. I would personally talk to the person at the rescue. Sometimes hearing from the person who wants to adopt a dog gives them a better understanding of your home situation. Also ask if you and your kids could meet with them. This may help them find the right rescue Sheltie for your family. By you offering to put forth the effort and meet with them might help. Hope that helps.
 
Iowa Rescues

Thank you for the tips. I suppose the rescue folks are just afraid of making a bad mistake and having to take the poor puppy back again, with yet another trauma on its resume. Perhaps meeting our kids and dog would change their minds -- or perhaps not!

Another quick question: are there any rescue groups in Iowa? I see listings from all the surrounding states, but nothing here. This surprises me, because I think Des Moines has a large Sheltie Club. Anyone know about Iowa rescues?

Also -- I've found a couple of rescue groups' "price lists," and they seem to be pretty high. Actually more than we paid for our pet quality puppy from an Iowa breeder. I understand they have costs to defray, but it's way more than any regular animal shelter. Is this normal?
 
Where in Iowa are you from? I'm from Grimes, right outside of Des Moines. I'm afraid I don't know too much about the rescues in Iowa. CeCe is keeping my hands full at the moment. I see there are a couple names and phone numbers in the Everything Sheltie website, under Adopt-A-Sheltie, and I often look online at the North Iowa Sheltie rescue (google it) out of Webster City, they are affiliated with Petfinder, and the dogs don't change that much.
 
Thanks and another Q

To Shelletlover: We just relocated to Colfax a year ago; husband works in Newton, and we found our c.1889 dream home/money pit on a random drive through neighboring towns. Unfortunately, no backyard fence except for a small enclosure around the patio, and city ordinances forbid putting in anything temporary -- must be chain link or wood. So I guess we won't be adopting another dog anytime soon, until we can clear more brush out of the woodsy yard and figure out where a fence should go. Luckily Toby knows his boundaries, and stays in the yard when we're with him.

To Elaine: Thanks so much for the rescue Iowa info. When we get a fence, I'll start working on the husband to let me foster some furry ones, and see if one of them works its way into his heart and a permanent home. I think he still misses our longhaired dachshund, Hava, who crossed the bridge at 17-1/2 years after spending the last few months of her life as a patient surrogate mother to our Sheltie puppy. She made Toby's transition to our home absolutely seamless -- no crying at all. I'd never brought a new puppy into a home with another dog already in residence, and won't forget how easy it was this time.

To anyone who fosters: What is involved in this adventure? I assume a foster family must pass the same standards as an adoptive one, but who pays the vet bills, food costs, etc.? Is the foster family responsible for all transportation to and from the shelter/HQ? I hesitate to contact a rescue group until we have the required fence, but it would be nice to know what we might be getting into, and make plans to handle it.
 
Lynia,
I run a rescue and as far as the vet bets are concerned, my rescue pays those bills. It helps my vet is also a close friend. I pay for special dietary needs as well.

As for the foster homes I ensure (as you already mentioned) that the yard be fenced. I also make sure that children are well behaved and understand about the dog coming into their homes and see if they will be helping with the care of the pet and then I teach them about what to expect with the dog. Some dogs do not care for kids so I make note of that. I will usually take one of my shelties with me to see how the kids react around them. I do not place any in foster homes that both people work (why foster in my philosphy if both are gone all day). I see if they have pets and usually check with their vets to see3 that they bring in thier dogs for checkups and such. I also check to see if the foster home folks will walk the dogs and groom (brush them) and clip nails if needed (I show them how to do that) I also tech some basic things like teeth brushings since I want my puppers to have nice healthy teeth. I take them in prior to placing them in a foster for teeth clrasning if needed.

There isd more depending on the dog iutself like medical issues that require medication daily t see if the foster parents can accomadate those things. Ther is a lady here I see who fosters shelties and she probably can guide you more on what she went throigh/

Good luck with this
 
Isn't the whole fenced yard thing a bit over the top?

I don't know much about this, granted, and my dog never leaves my unfenced yard anyway, so...

Why can't one just use a long leash on a post or one that runs along a clothesline?
 
Isn't the whole fenced yard thing a bit over the top?

I don't know much about this, granted, and my dog never leaves my unfenced yard anyway, so...

Why can't one just use a long leash on a post or one that runs along a clothesline?

Hugo I understand what you are saying, but not all dogs will stay in the yard. I took in one girl who was always getting out of her yard and was attacked by two coyotes and almost died. The surgery to "repair" her was 5 hours long and cost thousands to get her back in one piece. The internal damage took it's toll on her as well. Staking a dog out on a leash is not only inhumane, but in many states and counties is not allowed. Putting a "new" dog in a home without a fence is basically asking for trouble. The dog may and can try to escape the yard and it prevents other animals or dogs from getting into your yard and harmomg the dog. I have taken dogs in that were attacked by other larger dogs that had gotten into a yard at a dog that was staked. I will not place any dog in a foster home without a fence. Most rescues I work with will not either. If nothing else it gives the rescue a piece of mind to know that the dog is going to be secure when it is let outside when needed
 
I WANT a fence as soon as we can get one. I feel so much better about leaving Toby -- and my kids -- outside with a good, secure fence that keeps good guys in and bad guys out. We've always had one in our other houses, and need one here, too. I don't like having to worry whether Toby will jump down the terraces that separate his little patio (a small fenced area) from the large backyard. He is tagged and chipped, but that won't stop cars from smashing him. He isn't afraid of vehicles -- just sees them as fun transportation.

We'd probably better leave the fence issue alone, however, after this. The last thread that dwelt on fences got itself shut down. Thanks for the advice from Arizona!
 
Back
Top