Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Retired breeding male being added?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by ghggp, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Tofu pup is right on (and also very funny!). That dog does not sound like a good match for your situation. I thought I'd look at Michigan Sheltie Rescue just for grins, and I found https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/36970197. Lacy, a bi-blue 5 year old female. Sounds like she was a puppy mill dog but they describe her as coming along well in the socialization area. She gets along great with other dogs, apparently. They may hold onto her for you if folks aren't knocking their door down to adopt her.

Or, as suggested, check with other breeders in Michigan area to see if there are any who have girls who want to be retired to a good home, or a younger one who didn't quite make it in the show-ring, like my Faith. Look at the ASSA website for referrals.
    Good luck, Gloria.

ghggp likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks all for the advice!

My first Sheltie was a female! I got a CD title on her. She was a beauty and so smart!

I also helped my sister rescue a female Sheltie Jasmine that comes over for daycare from time to time and my boys love her. My only consideration is females tend to be a little more aloof than the males I have had!

I will know more on Monday when I talk to the breeder.

My boy Logan is so soft and sweet. Don't want to upset that.
    I will admit that I am the Alpha of the house and all my boys know it! Since I have had them all obedience trained they understood the pecking order!

3. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I got nervous when you talked about the dog mounting all the females. Sadly, there are aggressive Shelties like all breeds if allowed to be they can be aggressive.

The only rescue fail we ever had occurred when the rescue failed to inform us they'd screened the dog and determined it should be an only dog and then placed it with our 2 dog family. The only requirement we had is the dog had to be compatible with our other two. Age, color, etc.was negotiable. We told them we wouldn't take an aggressive dog.

I wish we had listened to our doubts when we met the rescue worker but we felt guilty and every fear came true.

I only wish someone had encouraged us to keep looking. The dog attacked both our dogs and had to be returned to the rescue. We since have found the perfect match for our family.

I guess my point is if you are feeling uncomfortable honor those feelings. There will be another option that won't be a danger to the rest of your dogs.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Bailey's Mom

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts

It's funny my experience has been more about the age we got them. Katy was 3 and neglected socially when we got her so she was less outgoing.

However, Bailey our first Sheltie, male was 4 months and Annie 2 came from a breeder an obedience drop out are both incredibly social dogs.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, I had a great conversation with the breeder. She explained the Alpha designation was due to the fact that he always wants to be the dominate. He is also food aggressive and needs to be crated when eating. He is being fixed next month and may calm down after the surgery. We are thinking it might not be the best mix for my current situation. She does agree that two breeding males, although fixed, might mark more in the house! As she explained, she can not guarantee that he will not mark in a new environment. We agreed to talk after Laddie passes to see if anything changes dramatically on her end. So, for now, it is on hold. Thanks for all the feedback. The search goes on.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Gloria thanks for the update - think you have taken a sensible decision:yes:

- I can not quite see that castration should help into food aggressive :no:

- Now you have time to see if perhaps there might be a little soul that fit better into your "dog heart" :hugs

ghggp likes this.
  7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm sorry that this dog wasn't the right fit, but I'm sure the right one will come along.

ghggp likes this.
  8. Bailey's Mom

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm glad you chose to wait. There will be a match that fits your home and you will be glad you took the time to find it.

9. Bailey's Mom

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I just wanted to mention this because it often comes up when discussing new dogs. There are levels of food aggression. I never thought much about it until we had Katy and then the failed rescue. I'd say you could place them on a mild to severe scale.

Katy is food aggressive in that she will steal anything on the floor. I suspect it comes from her neglect. It actually became a plus with Bailey who had been a picky slow eater prior to her arrival. When he discovered she'd finish his bowl if he walked away he began eating his meals in a more timely manner and knew better than to walk away.

We have never crate fed the dogs but feed them in separate areas of the room to allow everyone time to eat uninterrupted.

While she will steal food she's never fought over it. We were told when we rescued her she had food aggression issues and should be crate fed. We found with training and supervision she has come a long way. Annie licked her bowl the other day with no issues.

Our last rescue showed us the other end of the spectrum where we couldn't give treats let alone feed unless he was crated. No other dog was allowed food if he had anything to say about it.

My point simply is people often use words to mean a range of behaviours. We've been told to crate feed even when the dogs haven't been labeled food aggressive but it's only been physically necessary once. In all other cases it was the rescue/breeder preference for controlled feeding.

I am particularly sensitive to aggression issues. It's hard at times through email and phone to get all the info you want. However, my experience after that rescue left me more cautious. We didn't take the first breeder dogs offered to us and I had more than one panicked night worrying that might be the last offer we got.

Looking at my precious Annie at my feet I can only encourage you to trust your instincts. I'm sure someone is quite happy with the dogs we refused but they weren't the right situation for us. When we met Annie I was so worried she was too good to be true, but she's everything we'd hoped for and more. Don't settle.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok, here is an update!

I have found a lovely 7 year old retired female that has a sweet and loving temperament. I will be getting photos of her tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Her age and calm demeanor sounds like a good potential match!

Cara Sandler likes this.