Rimadyl

Rimadyl, yep I know of this med. Someone I know gave their dog the med all the time, and she swore up and down it gave her dog liver problems and killed her dog.

My Lucky slid on ice going out the door, and strained himself, he is fine and dandy. I gave him one pill and six months after that I gave him one pill because he pulled his muscle again, acting like a full.

I sure don't recommend everyday for long periods of time, not a vet, just don't trust that med.

I think Kelly had some knowledge about this med also.
 
I sure don't recommend everyday for long periods of time, not a vet, just don't trust that med.

The ONLY way I'd give this medication long term is if blood tests were part of the treatment.

With my Malamute and Finkie, the Rimadyl really helped with their arthritis and other issues. Before we even started with the medication, blood work was done to make sure the liver was healthy.

Once we started using it, our vet insisted on blood work to check for liver problems monthly at first, then every other month, then quarterly when no issues were detected. If there was even the slightest hint of a problem with the liver she would have had them off Rimadyl and onto something else right away.
 
I appreciate all the input from people from all over the continent. Emma has done fine without the pain killer. She did have liver function testing before she underwent the surgery because of the reaction to the hydromorphon and had MDR1 testing as well just to be on the safe side. You really have to go with your instincts when it comes to your pets.
 
I agree, Emmasmom. If she's fine without the medication and she has had adverse reactions to medicines before, you need to do what is best for your pup.

We can only talk from our experiences with our dogs. The best way to handle ANY medication is through discussion with your vet. If you have concerns, regardless of what ANYONE else suggests, the vet should be your primary source.

If you aren't comfortable talking to them (and I am NOT saying you - just a general statement) then perhaps its time to find another vet.
 
I'm glad she is doing good. Bailey was perfectly normal without any painkillers. I actually had to do my best to keep her calm because she was just as crazy.
 
I just can't keep her quiet. If I get her away from one thing, she is into another. She acts as if nothing ever happened and is showing absolutely no evidence of pain and the wound (sorry incision - I get used to certain phrases from working for a surgeon) looks great. My sister had her chocolate lab spayed and her sheltie cross neutered last Saturday and she is having the same problem - for them quiet is 10 laps around the yard instead of 12.
 
Yeah, I had the same problem with Ginny. It didn't help that my other sheltie kept egging her on.

I found that keeping her on leash in the house helped, as well as giving her some raw hide to distract her.

Don't forget that walks aren't off limits (weather permitting), so taking her for walks is a good way to drain her energy.

We also put both Ginny and Sadie to bed early in their crates till they'd recovered.
 
Thanks for all the advice on the Rimadyl. I never did put Emma on it. She is now five days post-op and it's like she never had any surgery. No evidence of pain at all in the first three days.
 
Maybe instead of Rimadyl (if you are afraid of liver issues...like me). How about Tramadol (not sure of the side effects of it tho). It is a pain-killer but not an anti-inflammatory. I am always leery of anything that can damage organs (due to my own personal history with them.)
 
I will never, EVER give one of my dogs Rimadyl again. When my beloved Sunny was 7 years old, she had hardly been sick a day in her life, and suddenly she went into acute liver failure. She was extremely ill for a month, including nine days in intensive care. Fortunately, the liver is sometimes able to regenerate itself, and Sunny eventually recovered.
But the vet couldn't figure out what had caused the liver disease. Later on, I read an article about the adverse effects of Rimadyl, and I remembered that Sunny had been given Rimadyl the week before she got sick (she had been limping and the vet thought it might be a pulled muscle, so Sunny was prescribed Rimadyl as an anti-inflammatory). It was obvious that the Rimadyl had to be the cause of her illness, since there is no reason for the liver to fail in a perfectly healthy dog.
I was very, very fortunate that Sunny did not die, and I was able to have her for another seven years before she died of cancer (mast-cell tumor). But I have instructed my vet that no dog of mine should ever be given Rimadyl. (When Daisy had surgery last year, she was given Tramadol and tolerated it very well.)
 
Back
Top