Rotating Dog Food Question

Is it bad if most are from fish?? The meats or higher no grains seem to be too high in protein 35-40,40+ so I don't want to have her on something so high yet

I used four different types of foods that include all different protein sources. The reason I do it is so that my dogs have the bacteria in their gut to handle a variety of different protein sources. It all depends on what your personal reasons for rotating are.

The foods that I use that are higher in protein, I mix in with a bag of lower protein. So, I would take a 20 lbs bag of mid-20's protein and mix it with a 5 lbs bag of mid 30's protein.
 
The meats or higher no grains seem to be too high in protein 35-40,40+ so I don't want to have her on something so high yet

Fish is excellent, in any form.

Grain-free means no grain (duh :smile2:). So what goes into it? Meat, maybe veggies, and carbs/starches, usually in the form of potato. The less meat you put in the food, the more carb/starch goes in. So are you really doing the dog any favors by using a low-protein grain-free food? I don't think so. I want my dogs to have meat protein, not more plants.

Dogs/canids have evolved to digest large amounts of animal protein. There is no such thing as too much animal protein in an otherwise healthy dog. Even then, most unhealthy dogs can be well managed on a meat-based diet.

But by rotating foods, I don't really worry about ingredients or precise protein/carb levels. :smile2: Because it will change next time to something else.
 
Dogs/canids have evolved to digest large amounts of animal protein. There is no such thing as too much animal protein in an otherwise healthy dog. Even then, most unhealthy dogs can be well managed on a meat-based diet.

This is true, for fresh meat. But with commercial kibble, all the water is taken out, so there is a higher concentration of protein per serving, than if you were feeding just meat. So there is a difference.

Wow....reminds me of this thread way back when.

It was a great discussion regarding the proteins in commercial feed:
http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=4040
 
This is true, for fresh meat. But with commercial kibble, all the water is taken out, so there is a higher concentration of protein per serving, than if you were feeding just meat. So there is a difference. [/url]

A pretty big difference at that! They weren't meant to be eating kibble therefor there is certainly such a thing as too much protein. if you believe that the ideal diet would mimic one they would eat naturally then you can't say that the large amounts of protein in kibble is good for them because their body was meant to eat raw meat not cooked and depleted of water.
 
Last edited:
Another reason I'd say feeding multiple brands is good b/c you don't really know what is being put it in (they don't have to list on the bag anything that was added to the meat BEFORE it was put in the dog food) it just seems like a good idea not to put your faith all in one brand. They are all out for profit and seem to skimp a bit here and there so by dipping into different brands I feel like it would help make up for what one company might skimp on. Also, just because your dog might get loose stools one or two days doesn't automatically mean he's having issues. Someone said to me once, "Our poop varies daily so why wouldn't your dogs?" And I thought it was a very good point!

This would apply to ALL commercial sellers - not just dog food! :lol: It includes people food as well. Heck, it even applies to fresh food! Should I buy the Maple Leaf brand of fresh chicken or the No Name? Should I switch them around to make sure that I'm rotating my own diet? How do I know what perservatives went into one brand or the other? How were these chicken's raised? All commercial sellers whether dog food or people food are out for profit. True.

I'm still playing Devil's advocate here. While its true that our own poop varies daily, I usually know what I ate the day before that set me off. And I'll try to avoid it in the future.

So being devil's advocate here, if you found a food that seemed to keep you healthy, your skin in good health, your digestive system stabilized, and good hair growth, why would you mix it up for yourself?

Truly, I don't really have a hard view myself, I just want to make sure that the thread is balanced in viewpoints - and not overwhelmed by a one-sided arguement.

Ultimately, you go with what you are comfortable with.
 
So being devil's advocate here, if you found a food that seemed to keep you healthy, your skin in good health, your digestive system stabilized, and good hair growth, why would you mix it up for yourself?

Because that's boring!!! I love food and would hate to have to eat the same thing every day. In fact, I'll eat something that I know will probably trigger a stomach ache, but it's delicious and I can't resist. :biggrin2:

Keep in mind, the majority of dogs, who develop a food allergy / intolerance, are mainly fed the same food their entire lives.

I rotate because...
1) I want to give my dog a variety, so she doesn't have to eat the same boring food her entire life.
2) To prevent possible future allergies or intolerances.
3) To get her digestive system used to different proteins, which will reduce new food sensitivities.

I never thought about rotating with different brands in case of a recall or vitamin deficiency. That is a great point and makes me feel good about eventually adding Acana Ranchland to Bailey's rotation.
 
Last edited:
Because that's boring!!! I love food and would ate to have to eat the same thing every day. In fact, I'll eat something that I know will probably tricker a stomach ache, but it's delicious and I can't resist. :biggrin2:

Keep in mind, the majority of dogs, who develop a food allergy / intolerance, are mainly feed the same food their entire lives.

I rotate because...
1) I want to give my dog a variety, so she doesn't have to eat the same boring food her entire life.
2) To prevent possible future allergies or intolerances.
3) To get her digestive system used to different proteins, which will reduce new food sensitivities.

I never thought about rotating with different brands in case of a recall or vitamin deficiency. That is a great point and makes me feel good about eventually adding Acana Ranchland to Bailey's rotation.

:lol: Ok! I give, I give! :biggrin2:
 
So being devil's advocate here, if you found a food that seemed to keep you healthy, your skin in good health, your digestive system stabilized, and good hair growth, why would you mix it up for yourself?

I personally, wouldn't change a thing.

And if you found that perfect food, by all means, don't change a thing! I totally understand your stance on not wanting to try something new. Your case, as you pointed out, is also unique in that way that you are dealing with liver issues AND hypothyroidism. If your dog's bloodwork is good, than by all means, please continue doing what you are doing. Why take the risk of getting his numbers off?

Unfortunately, over the past 40 years of my life, I have not been that lucky to have found that one "perfect" food. Therefore, I choose to feed a variety.

Here is an example, to try and explain to you why I do what I do. My sister in the 8th grade gave up eating red meat. Now (in her mid thirties), if she even has a small piece of red meat in her system, she gets severe stomach cramping and she gets very sick. This is because her body no longer has the proper bacteria in her system to digest the red meat.

The same thing happens to dogs. They get fed the same thing, year after year after year, they lose the bacteria in their stomach to digest the different proteins. It is proven science, that if you feed varied protein sources, the gut has LOTS more bacteria in it that can digest a larger variety of foods.

The plus to this, is that when I switch between the foods, because my dogs are used to this, they do not get a GI upset. So, if they DO have a GI upset, I know that it is not from the food, but from something else they got into as in the wildlife poo Dandie ate last week (too bad for me, they do not have a wildlife poo variety) :lol:

The same goes for if they have any changes in stamina, hair condition, etc. If there was a change, I would go for bloodwork. I get an annual CBC done on my girls, and I also do titers for my dogs instead of annual booster shots. So, I am on top of what my dogs "numbers" look like.

I hope that explains my side a bit more to you. And please know, I am not pushing my ideal on you, because I am well aware that this is not for you. You have health issues that you are trying to manage, and you need to do what you are comfortable with for your dogs.
 
Back
Top