Rotating Food

I do not rotate (since meat is meat is meat), but the people I know that do tend to rotate within a brand. So if you feed TOTW, just rotate through the different TOTW adult recipes. That way the "base" ingredients are generally the same and you don't have to spend as long transitioning, if at all.

As a side note, dogs are usually not allergic to meat-based protein in it's unprocessed form. I thought the same thing when my Collie didn't do well on beef-based kibbles. So the first time I fed her raw beef, I was expecting a blow out. It never happened, she eats beef and beef hearts with zero issues. So I did some research and it turns out my experience between the processed and raw meat is not uncommon. It is something in the processing that upsets them, not the meat itself. It still means you might have to stay away from chicken kibble, but if you ever decide to feed raw or home-cooked, chicken might still be an option.
 
I rotate between varies of nature's variety prairie(lamb, venison, salmon and beef and sometimes their raw rabbit, venison). I do it by the bag which last a month with the 3 dogs. I just buy another favorite and switch cold turkey, no problems. But my dogs do not have a sensitive stomachs. With a senisitive dog I would mix the last 1/8 with the new favor. If your dog is used to one type of food for a long period of time, the transition may need to be longer to turn over the gut bacteria mixture. :smile2:
 
I do not rotate (since meat is meat is meat), but the people I know that do tend to rotate within a brand. So if you feed TOTW, just rotate through the different TOTW adult recipes. That way the "base" ingredients are generally the same and you don't have to spend as long transitioning, if at all.

As a side note, dogs are usually not allergic to meat-based protein in it's unprocessed form. I thought the same thing when my Collie didn't do well on beef-based kibbles. So the first time I fed her raw beef, I was expecting a blow out. It never happened, she eats beef and beef hearts with zero issues. So I did some research and it turns out my experience between the processed and raw meat is not uncommon. It is something in the processing that upsets them, not the meat itself. It still means you might have to stay away from chicken kibble, but if you ever decide to feed raw or home-cooked, chicken might still be an option.

I do plan on rotating with the same brand of food. I'm going to stick with California Natural. I plan to rotate with Lamb/rice and herring/potato. I was thinking of rotating every 6 months.

Actually, Bailey had problems with just plan boiled chicken and rice too. That's why I believe she is allergic to chicken. All of a sudden, she got loose stool from any foods that contained chicken. She had no problems with turkey and lamb based foods.

I want to rotate because I read that the majority of dogs with food allergies are dogs, who have been on the same food their whole life. Since Bailey developed a chicken allergy at a young age, I want try and reduce her chances of having a lamb allergy as well. I think rotating her between lamb and herring will benefit her.
 
So every time you rotate, you transition over a 3-4 week period? And how long do you keep them on each flavor before you switch?

I don't worry with Trapp or Earnhardt with a transition now.As Trapp has been on TOTW,shortly after he came home.And gosh knows I have gone thru all the varieties many times,and with no issues.Actually even in the beginning,I expected possibly to see differances in his poo etc.But he did very well.
Earnhardt has a stomach of steel,and never an issue with him.

But,when Trapp was younger,and when it was time to buy another bag that first time going to another formula,yes I did take 3-4 weeks to bring him slowly to the next flavor.

I just wanted time for him to adjust.As protein levels are somewhat higher in the other two formulas.But even then I had no issues.

I will with Jasper do the same,until he has gone thru one full round of all 3 formulas.After that,I won't worry.

When its time for another bag,I'll simply just refill the food bin with the next flavor,and feed with no worries.

I may take the longer time transitioning,some folks may take less and even some may take more,but I would rather be safe than sorry,and nip a problem right off with poo issues,or maybe simply the dog may not like the flavor. Then I can simply give time for the belly to adjust.
 
If pups are eating their food and loving it, I see no reason to rotate. Why fix something that ain't broken?
 
I'm just a big believer in not over-complicating my life unnecessarily.

There are too many other factors that make things messy that I can't control or that I do control but are necessary.

I just don't have to invent new ones for myself. KISS principle!

p.s. The only exception...my quest for pup #3 - totally violates my principles above! But I haven't got him/her yet either!
 
If pups are eating their food and loving it, I see no reason to rotate. Why fix something that ain't broken?

We're only doing it to provide a differant flavor,using the same brand. All the formulas are the same price point.I guess we're doing it so they have variety.
 
My main reason to rotate is to prevent future allergies and for variety. Im still keeping her on the same brand. If herring doesnt agree with her, i can just stick with lamb, but i think it is worth a shot.
 
Back
Top