Rotating Food

We're only doing it to provide a differant flavor,using the same brand. All the formulas are the same price point.I guess we're doing it so they have variety.

I don't think they care as long as they are eating it and enjoying it. Why complicate your life?

From my perspective, anytime I introduce something new, its' a potential poop problem. Let sleeping dogs lay! That's my motto!

p.s. I know we love our Shelties, but they are NOT human and we should not assign human characteristics to them! (ok, ducking from the backlash now!)
 
I am coming fro the point that everything gets " blaah" if you eat it everyday day after day....
well, I do not feed kibble, give it only for treats, but am rotating pup's food... principle whatever is our fancy today...he does not have sensitive stomach though...
so it is usually chicken necks for breakfast- boy, that pup will do anything for his chicken necks, we developed pretty good "stay" command over his chicken necks bowl, then dinner is beef patty, salmon patty or turkey patty, sometimes we get a canned doggie food for variety, raw organic egg once a week or so...
with kibble and sensitive stomach I would do as with any young baby... give a small dose today, little more tomorrow and in couple of days just give full portion if no problems... If there is going to be problem, it will be evident second or third day so there is no need to keep it long for weeks... it is only with very young pup when you just get it at 7-8 weeks you want to be extra cautious... once pup is running around who knows what they pick from the ground so introducing new things is not a problem anymore...
 
If pups are eating their food and loving it, I see no reason to rotate. Why fix something that ain't broken?

We rotate so that our dogs get used to digesting a variety of protein sources. I think....and this is just something I think I remember from somewhere...that if you only feed one protein source, the body adjusts with only the necessary enzymes to digest that one protein source. I am not sure how true this is....but if it will help my dogs have a stronger stomach, I am all for it.
 
We alternate between the lamb and chicken formulas of our kibble. I think its good to have them used to more than one food as if the store is suddenly OUT of one you're not stuck.
 
Mine rotate through several different high quality kibbles, tinned food and home cooked. Mine will look for other food sources if I dont give them variety (counter surfing, poo eating. I get different kibble from winning flyball comps, plus I always keep a dental kibble handy and dont worry about transitioning. I had spoken to the Eagle Pack nutritionist who said there should be no need to transition between good quality foods unless the dogs have sensitive stomachs or I am switching between significantly different protein and fat levels.

I agree getting the same food every day gets boring. Plus I know for humans if we limit our food choices or do not eat particular types of foods we tend to develop sensitiviities and intolerances (and it can worsen allergies). Dont know if its the same for dogs, but I am happy providing the variety. I will say, they dont get as much variety as a human - dont want to build up their expectations too much.

But if you decide to go down just feed one type do it from the start so your pup doesnt expect too much. Lucky are those who can feed the same food (and Barb I can understand with Bacca's health problems why you would want to stick to one source).
 
We rotate so that our dogs get used to digesting a variety of protein sources. I think....and this is just something I think I remember from somewhere...that if you only feed one protein source, the body adjusts with only the necessary enzymes to digest that one protein source. I am not sure how true this is....but if it will help my dogs have a stronger stomach, I am all for it.

Sort of. But it is not the enzymes but the bacteria flora of the intestines that are the main problem. When the digestive system gets use to one thing, the bacteria in the intestines are set up to digest that one thing and if it gets something different it needs to adjust the flora of the gut if done to quickly that is when diarrhea occurs and gas. If you have a more varied diet the bacteria that aids digestion is more varied and as a result less sensitive and less prone to intolarences(allergies).
 
Last edited:
Sort of. But it is not the enzymes but the bacteria flora of the intestines that are the main problem. When the digestive system gets use to one thing, the bacteria in the intestines are set up to digest that one thing and if it gets something different it needs to adjust the flora of the gut if done to quickly that is when diarrhea occurs and gas. If you have a more varied diet the bacteria that aids digestion is more varied and as a result less sensitive and more prone to intolarences(allergies).

Thanks! I knew there was some reason I was doing it, lol, but I just wasn't sure exactly why :biggrin2:
 
Sort of. But it is not the enzymes but the bacteria flora of the intestines that are the main problem. When the digestive system gets use to one thing, the bacteria in the intestines are set up to digest that one thing and if it gets something different it needs to adjust the flora of the gut if done to quickly that is when diarrhea occurs and gas. If you have a more varied diet the bacteria that aids digestion is more varied and as a result less sensitive and less prone to intolarences(allergies).

And this makes sense as well. But as Caro said, I am loathe to switch things around more than necessary with Bacca's issues. But I will look into a backup food.

Thanks for clarifying!
 
I rotate too, and for the reason that Justicemom said. My dogs rotate varieties as well as brands. Foods in their rotation include Orijen, Acana, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness. I will usually go through all the varieties and then switch brands. Right now, we're trying the new salmon variety in Wilderness. And to be honest, it's my belief that the rotation is what allows me to hard switch the brands beyond the varieties. They really don't have so much as a hiccup when we switch. Is it for every dog? No. But it seems to work for these four. When we were first rotating back when, I was doing a 75/25, 50/50, 25/75 switch.
 
Back
Top