Running in the rain

It's only been within the last year that everything has gone indoors around here. Before that, there were a LOT of trials outdoors. Personally, I don't miss them being outdoors :x I much prefer the indoor trials.
 
I am not sure about the trials here, but I do know that my instructor does not even hold our classes if the course is wet, never mind raining. Mosp people I know say that they would pull their dogs if it was raining, and NEVER run them in thunderstorms. I know I would not. I mean, the dogs give you 100% percent all the time. We teach them to run hard, accurately etc. we rev them up before etc. so it's not like you can expect the dog to slow down now. You cannot tell the dog 'ok, it's slippery out there because it's raining, so take it easy, don't run so fast. OK?'

Infact, this morning, I was helping volunteer at an agility fun match, and saw first hand what 'slippery' equipment could do. This was an indoor match, but the contacts did not have any non-slip coating, and a dog slipped on the dog walk on its way down and really hurt it's front legs bad. Many of the dogs were slipping and unsure on the contacts there. If I was running my dog today, I would have avoided the contacts all together and just ran the rest of the course - it's just not worth injury to the dog.
 
Last edited:
What to wear for a chilly rainy trial

I have no choice but to go to a trial that will be very, very wet the first day of the weekend (I'm one of the course builders). I may not run my dog, but I'll still need wet weather gear. I live in Southern California (y'know, where it never rains... :winkgrin:), so I've never been to a trial where it was forecast to rain ALL DAY (showers, yes, but not all day). I've been hoping beyond hope that the forecast would be wrong, but it's now friday, and all the weather people say it's gonna rain... and we haven't heard anything from the hosting club.

Soooooo, what do you folks who regularly trial in wet weather wear? I'm going to REI to get some wet weather gear (not shoes, unfortunately... can't find athletic gore-tex shoes in extra-wide). Any recommendations? I have a slicker. I'm going to look for waterproof pants. How about gloves? Is there something I can put over my shoes to minimize the wet?

Any help is most appreciated! Thanks!
-Dayle
mom to: Alva (many titles in NADAC and CPE) and Orville, my deaf shelties
 
I have no choice but to go to a trial that will be very, very wet the first day of the weekend (I'm one of the course builders). I may not run my dog, but I'll still need wet weather gear. I live in Southern California (y'know, where it never rains... :winkgrin:), so I've never been to a trial where it was forecast to rain ALL DAY (showers, yes, but not all day). I've been hoping beyond hope that the forecast would be wrong, but it's now friday, and all the weather people say it's gonna rain... and we haven't heard anything from the hosting club.

Soooooo, what do you folks who regularly trial in wet weather wear? I'm going to REI to get some wet weather gear (not shoes, unfortunately... can't find athletic gore-tex shoes in extra-wide). Any recommendations? I have a slicker. I'm going to look for waterproof pants. How about gloves? Is there something I can put over my shoes to minimize the wet?

Any help is most appreciated! Thanks!
-Dayle
mom to: Alva (many titles in NADAC and CPE) and Orville, my deaf shelties

I can only help a bit...but the biggest lifesavers for us were extra towels for us and the dogs, and an extra pair of socks. I didn't have water proof shoes, either, but dry socks were the next best thing :)
 
I have been at a few trails where it has rained most of the day lightly , & heavily at times, and the trail went ahead. That being said I would asess the conditions very carefull before I would ever run My dog. There are a series of videos on You tube from the 2010 European Open in the chec Replublic where it rained for 3 days straight the video's are nothing short of scarry , there is no way in H*LL that I would even take my dog out on the field in these conditions let alone run, and I really cant believe that they continued the trail in these conditions.
Here's a sample video from the event, you should check them out it is positively scarry WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMF7kOp2Glc&feature=related
 
Last edited:
I was thinking about this too, since obviously I'm trialling this weekend and it's supposed to rain. Ugh. I am going but will decide when I get there to run or not. And if the equipment is rubberized or not too.

I would suggest a hat (probably like the one you wear, but waterproof) that way the rain will stay out of your face when you set-up. If you do get gloves, I'd look into ones with grippy stuff on the palms so if you're moving things, you have grip. You don't want wet stuff sliding through your hands. My shoes are mesh too, so I'll be bringing extra socks (great advice Ashley). This makes me want to look into gore-tex shoes.

I cant think of anything else, but then, what help am I. LOL.

The forecast was rain only early AM, but now, it's all day too. I may not be going. Sigh. I really wanted to get Koji into ExB by the new year. Darn rain.
 
Thankfully all our trials, except my club's 1 NADAC trial are indoors. I did attend 1 CPE trial in Central PA this year outdoors and decided in advance that if it was too hot/humid or raining I was going to pull him. It was not worth risking the health of me or Edan.
 
What I ended up getting at REI

I went to REI this morning and bought a waterproof over pants (in a petite size, to boot!) and an interesting item. I thought about the waterproof socks and gloves, but after reading online reviews from very unhappy customers, I decided not to waste my cash.

My hubby found waterproof biking overshoes, where the "bottom" consists of an elastic band only. The toe box slips over the front of the shoe, and you slip the rest of the overshoe over your shoe, so that the sole is the only part exposed. This was an awesome find! I looked at rubber overshoes, but was afraid of losing my cleat soles and thus, grip on wet grass. This biking overshoe solved that problem since the only parts of the overshoe that touches the ground are the small toe box and the elastic band. I retain the rest of my footing. The overshoe covers the top of my trail runners completely. There is a side zipper that is covered that allows you to slip your shoe into the overshoe. The brand is called Sugoi, and boy, it sure is (Sugoi in Japanese is "neat-o!" or "cool"). The only drawback was the price... it was, shall we say, a "gasp!" moment ($50!:eek2:) but I'm thinking if this thing really keeps my feet dry and my footing sure, it is well worth it!

They call it a resistor bootie, if you are interested in checking some out. I'm sure you'll find better bargains online, but I needed them for tomorrow, so I paid for the immediate need. I'll let you know how well they worked out.
-dayle
 
Dayle,

The booties sound great. Keep try but also retain traction. I keep wondering if you or anyone is running in this rain. It's pouring as I speak and of course the boys want to go out now. Our check-in time isn't until 11:30am, but I wonder how many people are there or are running. Crazy! I may go to check it out, but am thinking it'll be a waste of time. I don't feel good about running Koji in this. Ugh!

Stay dry Dayle. I'm definitely not running Koji.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top