Running in the rain

...
My hubby found waterproof biking overshoes, where the "bottom" consists of an elastic band only. The toe box slips over the front of the shoe, and you slip the rest of the overshoe over your shoe, so that the sole is the only part exposed. This was an awesome find! ...

Interesting find! Hope they work for you.

I've been eyeing long-sleeve cycling half-zips to wear while training outdoors. They have thumb holes in the sleeves and 3 pockets at the waist across the back. Perfect for stashing treats and toys.

Shebeest Long Sleeve Cycling Jersey
 
Biking overshoes sorta worked

Just reporting in... I did run Alva yesterday in the rain (2 Qs... but no TnG. Really nasty discrimination that had nothing to do w/ contacts) but fortunately, south San Diego Cnty didn't get as much rain at the north did. It is supposed to be worse today, though...

The biking overshoes worked well up to a point. My shoes and feet were dry most of the morning, but by afternoon (when the heavier rains came), I could feel the moisture creeping in. However, this was well after everyone else was complaining miserably about their cold wet feet! I felt the wet, but honestly, my feet were NOT cold even when wet. I thought that the socks were just a bit damp and that's all. It wasn't until I took my shoes off at the end of the day that I realized how wet they really were. The overshoes did the job of keeping my feet warm, even when wet (which is half the battle), but did just okay on the wet part. I think if I didn't have water poured on them from draining the rain collection on my canopy, they may not have gotten so wet. Also, since I course build, I'm out in the rain much more than most competitors are, so I have more exposure time. Overall, the booties worked great, and I'm glad I got them, but for the price, I wish they were truly completely waterproof. After the trial, I'm going to spray silicone on them (and my shoes) to see if that helps, too.

gotta go get ready for another day of rain... fun!
-dayle (and alva, who looked like a sad wet white rat but had sooooo much fun running fast in the rain!)
 
Glad It worked out Ok, Man I hate wet feet too, I have some Gortex trail shoes I use for running in the winter slop they are great I have to admit, but even with those once water get in it doesn't come out, but they do keep you dry most of the time, you almost have to step in a deep puddle or stream to get a soaker with them.

The Cylcling 1/4 zip should be real nice I have a Short sleeve one and use a LS base layer under it and that works
out great too, the back pocket/ pouch is handy as you say.
 
Last edited:
(and alva, who looked like a sad wet white rat but had sooooo much fun running fast in the rain!)

Oh, poor Alva. But glad he was having fun!

Glad to hear the covers worked to at least keep your feet warm, which is very important. Bummer about the TnG though. And glad to hear it didn't rain as badly as N. SD. I know where I live, it was pouring for HOURS prior to us having to leave, so I decided no running for me.

I also wondered if it was me not 1. having the clothes for it that scared me away and 2. having to clean my dog afterwards that made me choose not to run. lol. Oh well. Either way, as long as everyone was safe, it's a good day of running.
 
Rain, rain go away...

Okay, I admit it. I'm a SoCal wimp when it comes to rain. Sunday the day started out clear and dry (and cold for us), but around 10ish, it started to rain and rain and rain (no real heavy stuff, but it did drizzle/rain constantly). It finally slowed about 2ish, but the trial was over by then. We did get through pretty quickly. I was wet and cold. My three(!) rain jackets were all pretty much a bust. My one slicker (very old) had a hole in it that I didn't know about until I realized how wet I was INSIDE! The other ones are water resistant, not waterproof, so I wasn't expecting much from them, and I was right. I did get my shoes dry from the day before, but it didn't take long for the rain to seep into them through the overshoes. My feet were warm, but I could feel the "squish squish" from the wet. So, I guess it could have been worse, but I'm definitely on the lookout for more truly waterproof wet gear.

The trial itself went well. We Qed 4/10. Alva's waits have deteriorated lately:mad: (it cost us two Qs), so he got a bit of a reprimand in the ring (y'know... giving a bad look at a sheltie makes them cower, and boy, he cowered!) and I put him back at the startline. His waits were considerably better the rest of the weekend:biggrin2: He was slower, though, so I'll have to work on that and make him happy at the start but still stay put.

No TnG Q again yesterday. We were so close. He got the hard tunnel/dog walk discrimination, but there was a long FAST straight run (tunnel, hoop, tunnel) turn into the A-frame at the end. He was so pumped that he blew the contact. *sigh* so another training session in the ring :yes: that he blew, too, but he did touch a tiny bit of yellow. It feels like we'll never get a TnG Q... it's so frustrating sometimes.

I blew a few of our Qs. I've got to learn to keep moving (even if it is teeny tiny steps) to support direction of flow. I keep assuming he will keep going because I'm pushing with my upper body, but since my feet are not moving, he cuts his path short. Those are my errors, and those NQs were actually very pretty runs. I was happy with them.

I'm spending today (my day off) cleaning and drying everything out before another system blows through tomorrow. I hope I can get everything done.

-Dayle Shimamura
Mom to: Alva--CL2,CL3-F,H,S;
O-NCC,S-NJC,NAC,S-Tn-N,Tn-O,O-Wv-N,Hp-N; CGC
Orville--CGC
Wilbur,Misty--sweetest shelties waiting at the Bridge
 
Back
Top