Sandstorm and his pants saga

I have a cardboard box that is perfectly sized for Shelties who sit. I just slide it under their bellies to stop them from sitting. I do my guys lying down too.
 
Smudge spins on my grooming table. When is great, because it means I don't have to move. He does all the moving for me. He doesn't spin out of control. It's kind of like well...I don't really like being brushed, but if you don't mind could you not leave out this side? :rolleyes2:

Fluffy stands very still. The only thing she doesn't care for is whisker trims. She still does a pretty good job of that, too. It's really too bad that I suck at ear tipping, because she was the perfect practice puppy. She just stood still the entire time! :eek2:


edit:
As for the pants, that is the only thing I ever use my grooming arm for. Otherwise Smudge will not stand still. He does not buck or struggle when he is in it though. He just stands still and lets me cut a poop chute/brush him. I think maybe he thinks it is a leash and collar! LOL! He sits on command on the grooming table, too. I really think that is great, because he hates the grooming table.
 
Last edited:
Justice and Ember stand like statues on the grooming table. I don't know why they always have . Diva is so passive aggressive. It doesn't look like she is moving but she is leaning with just enough pressure that should your grip slip she'll be loose. She jumped off the grooming table twice on Rachel as a 6-8 month old pup. We now use a grooming arm on her every single time. It keeps her head still and we can use our hands to hold her rump up. She doesn't try and jump off with the loop on but someone always watches her just in case.
 
McKinley here.

I stand flippin' still for her because have you seen what she has done to my ears in the past. Good Dog Women, she would draw blood if I didn't stand still!:eek2::rolleyes2:

MMM.

OMYheaven's MMM....

You have made me laugh out loud! You are one interesting,intriguing pup you know that!
 
Trapp gets done while he is laying down as well.Although he does very well on grooming table,sometimes he needs a bit of a reminder.I just take my free hand,and bring it up under his belly,and give him a verbal reminder to be still.

Other than that,I'm sure if he had his choice,it would be laying down.He falls asleep,until I'm ready to flip him over.

I do Jasper on the grooming table.He is a bit more of a challange.There have been times,I also have to give him a reminder.His brain waves have him looking,sniffing,and totally in puppy land to keep his attention. But he does love to be brushed.

He has resigned himself when he sees me reading the sheltie grooming book..that I am automatically going to use him as a guinea pig!
So don't feel bad MMM...:biggrin2:
 
Here's a tip for keeping dogs standing up when grooming the back end. Place a spray bottle or any tall bottle (maybe shampoo) under their tuck-up. They can't sit down because the bottle is in the way.

Tansy is the worst to groom! She is all wiggles. I never get to stand back and see how she looks because she won't hold still.:lol:
 
Here's a tip for keeping dogs standing up when grooming the back end. Place a spray bottle or any tall bottle (maybe shampoo) under their tuck-up. They can't sit down because the bottle is in the way.

Tansy is the worst to groom! She is all wiggles. I never get to stand back and see how she looks because she won't hold still.:lol:

This and the box idea above are excellent suggestions.

I too groom with the dogs lying done. I often use my legs to pin them flat, as sometimes they try and lick the leave-in or conditioner that I use.

I'm in process of building a "lazy-susan" grooming platform with arm which I hope will help keeping them standing. Its a work in progress, though, and probably won't be finished until the fall.
 
This and the box idea above are excellent suggestions.

I too groom with the dogs lying down. I often use my legs to pin them flat, as sometimes they try and lick the leave-in or conditioner that I use.

This is what I do too. I just find it easier, plus the pups can relax. I love tiring them out first then grooming them, they just go to sleep.

When I need to do the poop chute I make them stand, but that's about it.

When I'm dremeling nails or trimming feet I sit on the floor with the pup between my legs, on her back and with her feet straight up in the air. This way I find there's minimal moving around and they doze off while I trim.
 
These are great ideas! I've never had a problem with my guys standing on the grooming table thankfully, but how oh HOW do you get them to lie down and let you do their stomachs?! I am always bending and trying to see underneath them and I never feel like I get the tummies done well. :no:
 
Back
Top