Shaving?

In the summer time, my groomer used to shave part of Timber's belly, but kept the fur long on the sides, so you'd never know.

He used to like to stretch out on the cool tile floors, with his belly flat. That would the most I would EVER consider!

I even can't stand it when they shave a part of Bacca's leg to do bloodwork! :no:
 
MY Aunt has 2 Shelties..... one is the sister of my departed Angel..
Her name is Sasha and she has many hip and leg problems and surgeries. They had to shave most of her. her first surgery was 3 years ago and her hair still hasnt grown back. The poor dog can barley walk but with pain meds she does ok .. (she isnt suffering). But it looks like she has a full body mohawk due to the shaving.. So I would only shave as a last option.
 
In the summer time, my groomer used to shave part of Timber's belly, but kept the fur long on the sides, so you'd never know.

He used to like to stretch out on the cool tile floors, with his belly flat. That would the most I would EVER consider!

I even can't stand it when they shave a part of Bacca's leg to do bloodwork! :no:
OHHH I bet a shaved belly on a cool floor on a hot day would be heavenly for a sheltie !!!
 
MY Aunt has 2 Shelties..... one is the sister of my departed Angel..
Her name is Sasha and she has many hip and leg problems and surgeries. They had to shave most of her. her first surgery was 3 years ago and her hair still hasnt grown back. The poor dog can barley walk but with pain meds she does ok .. (she isnt suffering). But it looks like she has a full body mohawk due to the shaving.. So I would only shave as a last option.

Not to be judgey, but if the animal can barely get around (especially in such an high energy breed like the Sheltie) - how is that NOT suffering?
 
Not to be judgey, but if the animal can barely get around (especially in such an high energy breed like the Sheltie) - how is that NOT suffering?

well the vet said she wasnt in pain ,,, and i guess i should have explained better..... she has trouble getting up .. once she is up she is fine and her joints loosen up ... she can walk fine... (no running) and she cant do stairs... luckily she lives in ranch style home.. I think she will have to be put down soon but I think she has more life to live before that happens ... (she isnt my dog so I dont know all the facts either). But I understand what you are saying. SHe is 14 years old..
 
Last edited:
in the spring i shave my sheltie's bellies, all the way up to the chest! (just a narrow strip after the belly) and i also shave the inside on the back legs. and i think out the pants some.
basically when its warmer out, if you cannot see it, it is shaved. everything underneath that is not visible is shaved.
 
Back
Top