Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Mom FAIL

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Cindy, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well you're not the only one, Chris, I confess I also clip nails the old fashioned way. It's always the front middle nails that seem to grow the fastest so thank God on Faith and Eli those nails are whitel But if I do hit a black one I feel terrible, obviously.

Chris, ghggp and Ann like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    It seems like 75% of Gavin's nails are black....
    Good news, though... I had put nail caps on his nails on his bad leg...they were worn down to the quick from how he puts weight on it. The caps now mean he has regular nails for me to dremel on the bad leg/paw. I would never dream of cutting those! I just took them off yesterday to look at, and need to replace them. He actually wears holes in those plastic caps.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I too clip Shelby’s nails and yes I have hit the quick a time or two. I just put flour on it and it usually stops quickly. I have tried wrapping her foot once, that lasted about 30 seconds. Almost all her nails are black and they grow like crazy, I really could cut them every week.

I’m too afraid to try the dremmel, I think Shelby our freak out from it and I could just see myself getting her fur tangled in it.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Well on the upside, when you do that, the Dremel stops almost right away, trust me! Getting the hair unwrapped from the post of the tool takes some time though. :rolleyes2::eek2::winkgrin:

5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, unfortunately I have tried that too - I really felt so bad :cry:

Minnie is lying on her back and I have a towel
    as I wrap the paw and cover the fur :wink2:

We have both been happy with this solution so far for 4 years :winkgrin:

ghggp likes this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I hate when that happens!!! Baking powder!

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Great idea Hanne! I do Piper and Finnie on their backs but never thought of using a towel and yup...I've caught their fur before too, although that was when I used to have them laying on their sides.

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    too true:yes:
    I've done both ways and I like smooth edges so the dremel is one step to that - with clippers, I then have to use an emery board or similar to smooth the sharp edges

9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    One downside of the Dremel is I keep accidentally dremeling my own nails. I have had to repaint countless nails :facepalm:. As a matter of fact I use an old Pedipaws to file my own nails LOL. That thing was worthless on the dogs but does mine great! :lol:

Ann likes this.
  10. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    OK, true story. I was a groomer for 10 years and even with all that nail trimming, I occasionally hit a quick. Always felt terrible. But, if it makes you feel better, even my instructors in grooming school did it occasionally.

Margi likes this.