Shelties doing Disc Dog workshop, great new sport

Wow, sounds like a fantastic sport! I bet if you reward Mr T with throw frisbee during his agility practice he will be flying:smile2:
Seems like a great way to build speed and endurance even if no plans for competition. Going to get pups a present for holidays.
Thanks for sharing!

lol, I tried at last class!! Nope he still prefers his latex ball or food over the Frisbee, because the venue is smaller, I think his thing is the interaction AND the chase omg he seriously loves the long throws chasing the Frisbee if I throw it low and well enough!!!
It will definitely help us in agility, for sure!
 
Wow, sounds like a fantastic sport! I bet if you reward Mr T with throw frisbee during his agility practice he will be flying:smile2:
Seems like a great way to build speed and endurance even if no plans for competition. Going to get pups a present for holidays.
Thanks for sharing!

I have been doing that with Birch. He loves his frisbee or his tug. He spies either one and he runs for it full tilt.

He spied the frisbee last night on his kennel and leaped 2 ft from the bed into the top of his soft crate and grab it in the same second he trampolined 4 ft into the air off the top. I am sure that is not the approved use of a soft sided crate.:eek2:
 
lol
yes, Sca... I must have mistyped :)
You should try the discs, I bet you'd love it and your sheep too!!
Oh he is a huge frisbee fan but I need to order one of the super soft ones to try a 'hard' one. He only does canvas right now. I could even get a puppy one for the maniac :biggrin2:
 
Oh he is a huge frisbee fan but I need to order one of the super soft ones to try a 'hard' one. He only does canvas right now. I could even get a puppy one for the maniac :biggrin2:

Get the softflite! It;s awesome and flies very well, too! It'll be a whole new world of fun for him!!
 
I have been doing that with Birch. He loves his frisbee or his tug. He spies either one and he runs for it full tilt.

He spied the frisbee last night on his kennel and leaped 2 ft from the bed into the top of his soft crate and grab it in the same second he trampolined 4 ft into the air off the top. I am sure that is not the approved use of a soft sided crate.:eek2:

where is the video- that would be so something to see:eek2:
 
Got the soft one, went real well both boys loving it.
One concern I do have so far I have prefect retrieve- straight speedy go, pick up, speedy bring back, no mouthing- I would rather not destroy it.
Bit concerned that due to shape of the disk I will see mouthing and chewing? I already seen that disk is not easy to pick up from one side...
Anyone observed?
 
Got the soft one, went real well both boys loving it.
One concern I do have so far I have prefect retrieve- straight speedy go, pick up, speedy bring back, no mouthing- I would rather not destroy it.
Bit concerned that due to shape of the disk I will see mouthing and chewing? I already seen that disk is not easy to pick up from one side...
Anyone observed?

YAyyy omg, glad you guys love it isn't it fun??

oh yes you will see mouthing and chewing, lol
that's one of the reasons the softflite is a beginners dog disc... Some sand the edges if it gets too frayed too soon.

I have friends (Captain in particular in the video) they almost have to get a new disc after each trial, lol they order the the JAWZ hardest discs for that dog. Depends on the dog, Love, their Borzoi is liek Toffee, very soft mouthed.

But yeah I discourage chewing on it but I don't correct it, right now I find T LOVES the long throws but not the shorter one where I want him to really GET the Frisbee or catch it close to me... it's a balance act!
So I do a little bit of get it get it... which involves really chomping on it.
I reward ALL enthusiasm with the disc, and I don't leave it around, only if I interact with him, otherwise I don't let him chew on it. But I assume that is not what you mean, anyhow? Are you saying they are chomping down as they are retrieving it? Then it might be time to get the upgrade to the harder, standard disc ;)
 
also...
the bigger dogs and the mini's do a go around for the single disc throw, so their dog knows to go straight ahead once he comes around their handler's sides.
I don't do that! But if you don't have a send out you may want to do that and make the dog go around your back first...

I don't because I send Toffee out ahead of me and he takes a straight line. I have trained that a GO ON command in agility and for his ball retrieve so he doesn't check back to see where the object goes... I figure he needs as much distance ahead of me to make up for speed issues, considering his competition will be mostly crazy BC's with long legs LOL
 
Back
Top