Shelties hard to dry coats!

It's truly personal choice and finances.

I will happily pay a groomer to bathe my dogs. They only really need it every 3-4 months. I'm happy to let the groomer deal with the flying fur and drying. It generally costs me $70 per dog, which also includes ear cleaning, feet and nail and poop chute.

I brush them out regularly in between using an leave-in shampoo (Show Off) so that removes most of the doggy smell in betweeen full bathes.

I also trim their ears, nails and feet myself as well. And I'm now starting to other trimming as well, because I've found that I can't trust most groomers to trim Shelties without taking a razor to them. Grr!
 
It's truly personal choice and finances.

I will happily pay a groomer to bathe my dogs. They only really need it every 3-4 months. I'm happy to let the groomer deal with the flying fur and drying. It generally costs me $70 per dog, which also includes ear cleaning, feet and nail and poop chute.

I brush them out regularly in between using an leave-in shampoo (Show Off) so that removes most of the doggy smell in betweeen full bathes.

I also trim their ears, nails and feet myself as well. And I'm now starting to other trimming as well, because I've found that I can't trust most groomers to trim Shelties without taking a razor to them. Grr!

ppppssstttt Barb, you didnt read the thread again did ya?? Its about a dryer not bathing dogs:lol:lol
 
ppppssstttt Barb, you didnt read the thread again did ya?? Its about a dryer not bathing dogs:lol:lol

Whatever, Lightplum (and yes, I did read the thread, I'm not an idiot)

.....I interpreted the thread as the easiest way to groom your dogs.

Obviously if you are going to bath your dog at home you will dry your dog at home. And unless you've got lots of money to spend, who is going to invest in forced air dryers unless they are a groomer or breeder.

Let's be real here!

I, like others, who responded were just responding to practical ways that we deal with baths.
 
Another alternative to the force air dryer is a normal dryer designed for pets. I have a 2300W dryer and it works wonderfully, regular human dryers are at about 1600W max. Ask the groomer in the area, they normally have it too and go from there.

I live in Taiwan which is a subtropical country (it gets very humid and dogs tend to get skin diseases if not blown dry) and I bath my sheltie every 3 weeks during summer and 4-6weeks in the winter. I gave in and bought a force air dryer. Brand is Double K. I believe it's worth the money in the long term. If compared to the grooming price barb stated, 2visits to the groomer with her two dogs already surpassed the price I paid for the dryer. Of course it depends on if u like grooming your dog yourself. To me it is not work and I rather enjoy it so the force air dryer is a great buy!
 
.Obviously if you are going to bath your dog at home you will dry your dog at home. And unless you've got lots of money to spend, who is going to invest in forced air dryers unless they are a groomer or breeder.

I have had a force air dryer since Justice was a small puppy before breeding or showing shelties was never in my mind. I refuse to pay $70 to have someone bathe my dog when it is something I could easily do myself.:smile2: I just don't trust people I don't know and at the time I didn't know any groomers but that's me. 2 professional groomings and it is paid for.

In my mind it is essential to grooming a sheltie at home as it saves tons of time and cuts blowing of the coat down to no time. My dryer is almost 10yrs old and works as well as the day I brought it home.

At first, I didn't have the expensive scissors, thinners or brushes that I now have so the dryer was my only big ticket purchase at the time. Seriously if one is going to do all your grooming yourself think about purchasing one.
 
At first, I didn't have the expensive scissors, thinners or brushes that I now have so the dryer was my only big ticket purchase at the time. Seriously if one is going to do all your grooming yourself think about purchasing one.

Thats how I did it too!!!!! I had only two dogs at the time, I didnt mind not having it with just the one...but by the time I added the second I figured it was ridiculous the amt of time it took to dry 2 dogs was all day!!!! And your right I had my dryer before a really good pair of scissors...heck I only go the really good pair a few years ago!!!!!! And my dryer is also just as old....I was using it the other day thinking hmmm wonder if it works as well as it did 10yrs ago or if its slowing down....:lol:
 
I have been considering buying a dryer, and then I saw this thread...

Those of you that have a dryer, why did you buy the particular dryer you did?

I am concerned about my dogs being afraid of the noise, so I am thinking that if I do get one, I should get one with a variable speed control, so that I can gradually get them used to it. I notice that they come with different air volumes and air speeds, what is a good volume/speed for drying a sheltie? Are some dryers quieter than others?


I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.
 
I have a metro air force dryer..basically because when I got it, there was not really alot of options on the market..in the years since I brought it CC has come out with a kool-dryer...and its really quiet..and adjustable from basically a light breeze to upwards of face-lifting quality!:lol: So once this one dies I may go that route, or stay the same since its worked quite well all this time!

Mine dont mind the noise of the dryer although I start them young getting used to it so its not a scary monster coming to eat them! They all hate it near their heads though..thats still a work in progress!!!!!:rolleyes2:
 
I have a metro air force dryer..basically because when I got it, there was not really alot of options on the market..in the years since I brought it CC has come out with a kool-dryer...and its really quiet..and adjustable from basically a light breeze to upwards of face-lifting quality!:lol: So once this one dies I may go that route, or stay the same since its worked quite well all this time!

Mine dont mind the noise of the dryer although I start them young getting used to it so its not a scary monster coming to eat them! They all hate it near their heads though..thats still a work in progress!!!!!:rolleyes2:

That is how I chose mine too not alot of options at the time. I don't think sheltie need the mega massive air speed one. My friend Rachel was a K-9 II (59,329 feet/min)and at it higest sppeed it could blow a sheltie right off the table. She does professional grooming and does alot of Malamutes so needs the high speed. I think the 23,000 feet/min model which is the lowest metro force would be fine for a sheltie.

I too started my guys as little pups and they really didn't mind the noise either. The only one that needed convincing was Ember and I just started on low speed put her in the grooming arm and started on her butt she got used to it. Ironicly enough. Ember is the only one now that doesn't mind the air near her face. Go figure.:rolleyes2::lol:
 
Last edited:
I think the 23,000 feet/min model which is the lowest metro force would be fine for a sheltie.
:

Thank you both for the info. The think the 23,000 feet/min is actually the middle choice. It looks like there is a 18,000 feet/min choice also.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...ri-Speed-Dryers/pc/190/c/191/sc/263/57232.uts

The metro air force still seems to come in several different models. Eliminating anything with an air speed less than 23,000 feet/min and cage dryers

Metro Air Force Pet Grooming Dryers
http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...Grooming-Dryers/pc/190/c/191/sc/263/43034.uts

Air Force Commander 2-Speed Pet Dryers
http://www.petedge.com/product/Air-Force-Commander-2-Speed-Pet-Dryers/43052.uts

Metro Air Force Blaster Pet Dryer
http://www.petedge.com/product/Metro-Air-Force-Blaster-Pet-Dryer/43809.uts

Metro Air Force Blaster Dryer Variable Speed
http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...-Variable-Speed/pc/190/c/191/sc/263/57233.uts

Air Force Commander Vari-Speed Dryers
http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...ri-Speed-Dryers/pc/190/c/191/sc/263/57232.uts

I am assuming Air Force and Metro Air Force are the same brand?

Some are one speed only (I think) some are two speed, and some are variable speed. I am thinking the variable speed is probably the best, just gives you more options. Does that sound reasonable? That would narrow it down to 2 choices.

Also, I assume to dog does not actually have to be wet to use it? I am thinking that if they react to it, you can just use if briefly on a low speed to get them used to it and gradually increase the speed over a period of several weeks before you actually use it to dry them?

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top