(short) visit to the vet

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Yes he wanted to book me in for Spraying as well. But I already made that arrangement with the Ontario SPCA Spray Clinic when I picked up Sammy, there is a 4 months waiting list.

I checked with my breeder for a recommendation, I think I will go to that clinic next time, even though it is a little out of the way and costs more. I believe in building a good relationship with the vet since Sammy will be a member of our family for many many years.

Sammys Daddy
Honestly, sometimes that is what it takes to have a better vet sadly. Doesn't hurt to try out a new place though. :biggrin2:
 
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Yes he wanted to book me in for Spraying as well. But I already made that arrangement with the Ontario SPCA Spray Clinic when I picked up Sammy, there is a 4 months waiting list.

I checked with my breeder for a recommendation, I think I will go to that clinic next time, even though it is a little out of the way and costs more. I believe in building a good relationship with the vet since Sammy will be a member of our family for many many years.

Sammys Daddy

Sounds like a good plan...make sure to have bloodwork run before the spay- we call it preanesthetic bloodwork to make sure kidney and liver values are within the normal limits. It is worth the investment to make sure she can metabolize the anesthesia. Also want her to be closely monitored during surgery, blood pressure pulse/ox and getting IV fluids are very important. Not every first time owner is up on this so thought i might mention it. While spays are routine surgeries they are not beyond complications and taking the precautions available just makes sense. This protects Sammy the best you can and protects your monetary investment too.
 
I see that you plan to take your pup to a clinic you say is a little out of your way. If that is where you get the best care, then do it. I used to go to a vet here in my town (in fact I now drive by it every day) but because of issues with a new vet taking care of first Liam, and then Emma (and her refusal to spay Emma when she had issues with pre-anesthesia meds), I chose to find another vet. The vet I loved there is now retired and sold his practice. If he hadn't I not likely would have left. I now drive 1/2 hour or so to the vet.

When you have her spayed, they will likely send home the cone of shame. A baby's onsie or boxer shorts as suggested by my vet's tech works just as well.
 
Back
Top