Shots for your Shelties

Titres should be the norm, and as I have said, if enough people request titres, the cost comes down and it's a win win across the board. It also safeguards our furkids from unecessary and over medication.

Best,
Kate

Bravo! That's an excellent plan/idea :) I'm going to shell out the money to do the rabies titer on my boy as it's due this month and then Lily isn't due until May so at least I have time to save in between for each one.
 
Well I guess I will weigh in on this One as well! I do 8weeks 12 weeks 16 and than a month later go Back for the rabies. I do not include the rabies with the 16 week shot. It's too much for their little immune system to handle all at once!

As far as the rabies vaccine being 3 years vs one it's up you state on what protocol they follow. Mine within the last what 4 yrs went to every 3. It is the same vaccine no matter how many years your particular state claims its effectiveness for!
 
Ironic, I just got a phone call form the vet this morning about it being time for Precious to come in for more vaccinations since she's a year old, etc. I told her I'd call them back because I had no clue it was so soon, don't like deciding and making appointments on the spot. Will look in to my vet files and probably start a new thread on what they're asking her to do, for more specific feedback! Great thread start up though, enjoyed reading through it!
 
As far as the rabies vaccine being 3 years vs one it's up you state on what protocol they follow.

And the manufacturer. I had a puppy go to Hawaii, and the rules there state that any dog imported must have had two Rabies vaccines no less than 90 days apart, and that on the day of shipping, the certificate must be good.

So MJ had his first vaccine at 5 months, and then another at 11 months.

The manufacturer requires one year between vaccines before they recommend the vet issue a three year certificate. So MJ had two rabies shots, 6 months apart, and my vet issued two one year certificates. I knew the dog was going someplace where he didn't have to have another Rabies shot, ever, so I didn't argue. Even my vet was not pleased, but it's what the manufacturer recommends.

BTW, he also had to be titered through Kansas State, and I had that pulled three weeks after the first shot. He passed, but still had to have the second shot, regardless of the titer.
 
Love our Vet!!

We just got back from the Vet and she was 100% supportive and agreed to only do the core today and come back later for the rabies. She said doing it at 6 months is fine if we don't want to come back sooner :smile2:

Toby at 16 weeks weighs a whopping 8.05lbs and is approx 11 1/2in tall. Ha ha ha, he is long and lanky right now :biggrin2:.
 
Uhh... they are the same shot. The only difference is the piece of paper that goes with them. If you go to KV Vet and look at the vaccines they sell, they don't differentiate between one and three year, they are all the same. Your fired vet was correct to give you a piece of paper that had three years on it.

I, too, thought it was the same vaccination just the paper. I hope this is right. I can't imagine them being able to get away with dosing THREE YEARS worth in once vaccine though. I'm going to check out the website now.
 
I, too, thought it was the same vaccination just the paper. I hope this is right. I can't imagine them being able to get away with dosing THREE YEARS worth in once vaccine though. I'm going to check out the website now.

I believe it is based on the challenage studies the vaccine has had. If they only did a one year challenage they can't label it for 3 yrs or more even though it may be effective for longer. A 3 yr vaccine has been challenaged at 3 yrs by the manufactor. The antigen load is the same.
 
we have 3 year thimerosol free rabies, 3 year DAP when they turn a year old. After that titres, repeat rabies in 3 years because it is a law here. We have done 3 sets of puppy shots. Probably in the future will do only 2 puppy and skip on first one.
 
we have 3 year thimerosol free rabies, 3 year DAP when they turn a year old. After that titres, repeat rabies in 3 years because it is a law here. We have done 3 sets of puppy shots. Probably in the future will do only 2 puppy and skip on first one.


I really have enjoyed this thread and have been educated in ways I didn't know! In fact, if it wasn't for this topic I may have had the Vet go ahead and do Toby's core and rabies today. After reading all the opinions, and talking to his breeder to see what they did (they don't until pups are 6 months), I didn't...And was elated that my Vet supported and agreed, woo hoo! :smile2:
 
Back
Top