Shots for your Shelties

Shades of Sheltie Nation

Just had an OMG moment. I erroneously equated the three year and one year rabies shots as three years protection vs. one year protection, incorrectly thinking that a one year shot had less medicine in it than a three year shot. I was under the impression that the shots were different in intensity.
Am I the only one who thought this to be true? And why didn't the vet, explain this to me? If they are all the same shot, then it is only according to state laws how often they are vaccinated. And why on earth do some vets charge more for the three year shot, if they are all the same?????

Clantyresheltie, I would still smack that first vet, who did not venture any information when I asked about the vaccination protocol. And who charged more for the three year than for the one year shot.

I feel just so misinformed and a little foolish for not connecting the dots.


Kate
 
Last edited:
. And who charged more for the three year than for the one year shot.

I feel just so misinformed and a little foolish for not connecting the dots.


Kate

Don't feel bad. I have never heard of anyone charging more for a 3yr vaccine.:rolleyes2:

The way rabies goes, as a puppy 3-6 months as required by the law of your state. Then a booster of Rabies in 1 yr(from the date of the previous vaccine) not 1 yr of age. Then 1-3 yrs as required by law of the state.

So the first rabies regardless of your state is only good for 1yr and then the 2nd is depending on the law of the state. There are many different vaccines available some labeled for 1yr, some up to 3 yr. As of this date, and I could be wrong no rabies is labeled for more than 3 yrs. That is what the rabies challenage study is looking into.
 
I am lucky because my chiro vet offers wellness weekend twice a year for various blood draws, including titers and vaccinations at reduced rates. As far as I know my regular vet does not have thimerosal free vaccines and I would prefer to use them so wellness weekend works well for us. Best part is my dogs adore the chiro vet so shots are taken in stride like nothing happen. Both pups are very stressed at regular vet office.
here is some additional info on vaccines
http://dogaware.com/health/vaccinations.html
 
vaccines

Thanks Sheltieche for the good reading material. Don't forget to look to Cornell U also, as I said they are doing ongoing studies of rabies vaccines and how effective and for how long the vaccine lasts.

Justicemom, that is why the vet that I first went to is a memory, he charged more for the three year vaccine. He got upset because I wanted to know about the rabies vaccine. A real god complex in that fella, the only one that I have ever come across, glad to say.


Best,
Kate
 
From this article-
""One is the legal Constitutional and Common law that this country was founded on, and the other is "colorable" law passed by Administrative agencies/bureaucrats who have been given so called authority to pass laws. Black's Law Dictionary 5th Edition defines colorable law as "That which is in appearance only, and not in reality, what purports to be, hence counterfeit, feigned, having the appearance of truth." Yes, I study the law, am a paralegal, and have an extensive law library.

So any and all mandatory rabies vaccination programs are colorable law, in that they have been passed and mandated upon the pet owning public by certain vested interest groups.""

Huh? These laws are passed by State Legislatures, as are all laws. These are not policies or 'interpretations' by administrative agencies/bureaucrats, these are state laws. -Dr. Mac
 
Huh? These laws are passed by State Legislatures, as are all laws. These are not policies or 'interpretations' by administrative agencies/bureaucrats, these are state laws. -Dr. Mac

I have never heard "colorable law", but have heard "the color of law". I think this author means that even though the laws are passed, it is outside the authority of the government to pass them, thus making them less legitimate? :confused2:

I'm sure people feel that way about the IRS too. :smile2:
 
I wasn't trying to get into the political stance of is it okay for the government to push things on me... I just thought it was nice to know the background behind the shot/the figures/who lobbies for it/etc... ;)
 
I wasn't trying to get into the political stance of is it okay for the government to push things on me... I just thought it was nice to know the background behind the shot/the figures/who lobbies for it/etc... ;)


Maggie not trying to get political, :lol: :lol:. I know how much you love our Gov't..:razz:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Okay, okay, staying on the topic of this thread. :o
 
I wasn't trying to get into the political stance of is it okay for the government to push things on me... I just thought it was nice to know the background behind the shot/the figures/who lobbies for it/etc... ;)

Sure, but its a question of credibility. This is science, and has no place for those with agendas who make the facts meet the conclusion rather than the other way around.
When someone states that mandatory rabies is not a legislated law but rather an administrative/bureaucratic policy of special interests, they are making stuff up.
I was involved with the change of the RI rabies law- it was done legislatively, after hearing from all the interested parties at some length. The veterinary association SUPPORTED the change from 2 to 3 years, indeed, we wondered why it hadn't passed the previous year since the change had many supporters and no apparent opposition.
As the article devoted a great deal of time to that misrepresentation, I'm not putting much credence into whatever else it said. - Dr. Mac
 
Back
Top