Simba has attended 8 agility classes now (not including his 6 weeks of foundation work). We are hooked! It is what I look forward to the most in the week, although Obedience class (which I think Simba prefers) and heelwork to music are definitely on par.
A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had any tips for improving his drive as he didn't seem motivated. He had also started putting his breaks on half way through a course or even after 1 or 2 obstacles. I thought something had frightened him or he was scared and that's why he was stopping and wouldn't come to me. I was wrong! Yesterday one of the top handlers where we live was assisting at the class. When the class ended I asked her what I should do when he puts his breaks on. She hadn't observed him doing it yet and so she decided to do a bit with him and see if he would stop half way through. He did. She walked away from him and said 'that's to bad' and walked away with his toy. This had him sprinting after her barking and jumping around. She got right back into it and he was happy as larry
She then went on to train with him for about 15 minutes just doing little combinations and she had me practicing turns (without a dog haha). He was buzzing and bouncing and barking for more. He didn't want to stop. So it turns out Simba had realized if he stops moving I'm going to reward him by going over and petting him and luring him and even giving him treats. So really he was training me!
So after week 8 of agility I have learned that my handling needs A LOT of practice and that my baby Simba is perfect in every single way!!
A few weeks ago I asked if anyone had any tips for improving his drive as he didn't seem motivated. He had also started putting his breaks on half way through a course or even after 1 or 2 obstacles. I thought something had frightened him or he was scared and that's why he was stopping and wouldn't come to me. I was wrong! Yesterday one of the top handlers where we live was assisting at the class. When the class ended I asked her what I should do when he puts his breaks on. She hadn't observed him doing it yet and so she decided to do a bit with him and see if he would stop half way through. He did. She walked away from him and said 'that's to bad' and walked away with his toy. This had him sprinting after her barking and jumping around. She got right back into it and he was happy as larry
She then went on to train with him for about 15 minutes just doing little combinations and she had me practicing turns (without a dog haha). He was buzzing and bouncing and barking for more. He didn't want to stop. So it turns out Simba had realized if he stops moving I'm going to reward him by going over and petting him and luring him and even giving him treats. So really he was training me!
So after week 8 of agility I have learned that my handling needs A LOT of practice and that my baby Simba is perfect in every single way!!


