So important to scan Sheltie gallbladders

Teddy is 5 years and 4 months, and this is his 3rd time. 2 times on old machine 1 on brand new machine. Right now I'm just thankful that all his blood work is normal
My Vet said he believes it is genetics and not diet I am going to do what my Vet says unless I find information that says different. I am not opposed to him having surgery if that is what he needs. I appreciate all the information I have learned here and am always open to hear opinions from more knowledgeable people.
 
Last edited:
My Vet said he believes it is genetics and not diet I am going to do what my Vet says unless I find information that says different. I am not opposed to him having surgery if that is what he needs. I appreciate all the information I have learned here and am always open to hear opinions from more knowledgeable people.

I completely agree with your vet, Ron. I've always believed it's genetic, and the vets I've talked to feel the same. The American Shetland Sheepdog Association continues to do research on GBM, but they haven't found anything that addresses that question. Still, it's clear to me that you see this more frequently in some lines than others. The problem continues to be breeding it out, since this was only identified in Shelties in recent years. This is why I recommend to anyone looking for a puppy that they ask whether either of the parents have gallbladder issues, or whether it's in the lineage.
 
I completely agree with your vet, Ron. I've always believed it's genetic, and the vets I've talked to feel the same. The American Shetland Sheepdog Association continues to do research on GBM, but they haven't found anything that addresses that question. Still, it's clear to me that you see this more frequently in some lines than others. The problem continues to be breeding it out, since this was only identified in Shelties in recent years. This is why I recommend to anyone looking for a puppy that they ask whether either of the parents have gallbladder issues, or whether it's in the lineage.

So, I know Elijah's dad died from cancer, I think it was the dreaded hemangiosarcoma. And the mom died from an unfortunate accident at about age 7. When I let the breeder know, she said she was going to get Eli's half sister (Meadow's mom) scanned, she is now 6. I hope she's clear, that will give me a bit more comfort for Meadow. Of course like anything it can probably skip a generation before showing up again, I just don't know.
 
Thanks for sharing that Ron. Good luck with Piper, Lisa!!!

In reading on sludge, recommendations are for SAME and Milk Thistle supplementation. Are any of you supplementing with these? I guess Denamarin is a combo supplement of those two things. Is it a good thing to supplement 'just in case'?
 
Thanks for sharing that Ron. Good luck with Piper, Lisa!!!

In reading on sludge, recommendations are for SAME and Milk Thistle supplementation. Are any of you supplementing with these? I guess Denamarin is a combo supplement of those two things. Is it a good thing to supplement 'just in case'?

Sandy, Denamarin is the gold standard of supplements for gallbladder/liver support. It has both in it. Whenever liver values go up in my house, it's the supplement my vet insists I give them. It's expensive, so my other GB girls all get both a SAM e supplement and a Milk Thistle supplement daily....even the ones who have had gallbladders removed. (Links above)

Most holistic vets recommend supplementing with milk thistle as a matter of course whenever the dog is taking antibiotics, or flea/tick meds are used etc. It's a wonderful supplement.
 
One thing they do during the surgery is take a liver biopsy as well as send the gallbladder out for testing, especially if there has been an increase in liver enzyme levels in their bloodwork. We are waiting on results for that.

Yes as soon as the sludge was found my vet had me start the Ursodiol and Denamarin. The surgeon (and I will ask her again) initially said that after another month I can stop the meds. My retired vet concurred.
 
Sandy, Denamarin is the gold standard of supplements for gallbladder/liver support. It has both in it. Whenever liver values go up in my house, it's the supplement my vet insists I give them. It's expensive, so my other GB girls all get both a SAM e supplement and a Milk Thistle supplement daily....even the ones who have had gallbladders removed. (Links above)

Most holistic vets recommend supplementing with milk thistle as a matter of course whenever the dog is taking antibiotics, or flea/tick meds are used etc. It's a wonderful supplement.
Yes…I usually do a 2 week dose of milk thistle following a vaccination or the monthly heartworm meds for the dogs.
 
Good news…I guess Piper is one of the lucky ones. No mucoceles…gallbladder and liver look good. little brat didn’t want to leave with the girl…he kept looking back at me and putting on the brakes!
When she brought him back I could hear him coming…barking:ROFLMAO:
I said ‘sounds like Piper’ lol
He told me!
 
Back
Top