Speaking of haircuts-should I cut this fur?


Might I add you have a very pretty pair of shelties and a cute kitty too! Love the pictures! You live in a beautiful area.
 
Might I add you have a very pretty pair of shelties and a cute kitty too! Love the pictures! You live in a beautiful area.

Aw, thank you! I suppose even with his constant bed head he still is a handsome boy...I usually have to drive about an hour to the "prettier" areas (Ithaca) but it's well worth it. The finger lakes region of New York is an ideal place for the outdoorsy type!
 
My girl has some of that curly, swirly coat too. I can get it straight with conditioning and forced air drying, but it won't be tamed for long!
 
Here is Chance coat now.
https://picasaweb.google.com/ashleyc053/Shelties03#5762033286464585682
And, here is Ellie his sister. His sister was not dyed. I just started following the strict grooming regime.
https://picasaweb.google.com/ashleyc053/Ellie#5762026388370993122
These two had quite the coat history. I've never had a sheltie coat do like there's did, before and since. But, was thankful to be taught how to take care of it.

Ok, daily groomouts and professional show grooming aside (clearly that's what we are looking at in these two photos!) :wink2:

What is a regular sheltie owner to do?

Personally, I'm dealing with very dry undercoat on both my dogs. I do not over bath them, and I'm careful about the amount of product I put on them as well. I struggle to get the shiny sheen that you have in your pictures do, and wonder if it can be done without the effort you put in for your shows. :confused2:
 
Barb - Emma has that kind of sheen and I don't brush her like I should. Hers seems to be natural, nice and soft and silky. Liam is just starting to get there after all his illness and recovery.

Just love looking at all the pictures of the precious babies.
 
Ok, daily groomouts and professional show grooming aside (clearly that's what we are looking at in these two photos!) :wink2:

What is a regular sheltie owner to do?

Personally, I'm dealing with very dry undercoat on both my dogs. I do not over bath them, and I'm careful about the amount of product I put on them as well. I struggle to get the shiny sheen that you have in your pictures do, and wonder if it can be done without the effort you put in for your shows. :confused2:

Actually, Ellie hasn't ever shown. Over the past two years I've just turned into a grooming wacko! :gaah

Over-bathing them with the right type of shampoo will not dry out the coat. Isle of Dogs has a claim that there shampoo is gentle enough to use everyday. But, who has time for that?
Ditch the Ice on Ice. I mean really. I used it all the time in the beginning and it didn't do my guys any favors. I'm not even a big fan of there shampoos. I've heard that a sunscreen used on dogs doesn't last very long anyway... to be effective it has to be reapplied several times a day. Your best bet is to use a good quality conditioner that keeps the coat from drying out.
Brushing them certainly will help... it distributes the oils and helps keep the coat moist.
Your best bet is to get the Isles of Dogs... heavy management conditioner.... mix in water and mist everyday. I know I'm sounding like a representative of the company and I apologize to the moderators in advance. It is just that this stuff works. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
If you can't get a hold of this product... just pick up a big bottle of Pantene conditioner at the store and use it. It's cheap and will do in a pinch.
Pure Paws conditioning spray works pretty good too. When I use it... I generally dilute it just a little for a maintenance spray.
One thing to stay clear of is, The Stuff conditioner. Ew, that stuff is nasty. I think one of the sheltie grooming books advertised it... and even when diluted correctly it starts to leave a nasty build up after about two or three uses. If anybody has had success with it on here I have an almost full bottle you are welcome to.
 
I use two things to get the sheen - a coarse boar bristle brush (Mason Pearson) and Plush Puppy seabreeze oil (basically essential oils to spray on the coat). The Mason Pearson is what the show people here use and having put off buying one for a couple of years I'm now a huge convert because I can see what a big difference it makes to get the shine.

Mind you, doesn't the breed standard say the coat should be coarse.
 
Actually, Ellie hasn't ever shown. Over the past two years I've just turned into a grooming wacko! :gaah

Over-bathing them with the right type of shampoo will not dry out the coat. Isle of Dogs has a claim that there shampoo is gentle enough to use everyday. But, who has time for that?
Ditch the Ice on Ice. I mean really. I used it all the time in the beginning and it didn't do my guys any favors. I'm not even a big fan of there shampoos. I've heard that a sunscreen used on dogs doesn't last very long anyway... to be effective it has to be reapplied several times a day. Your best bet is to use a good quality conditioner that keeps the coat from drying out.
Brushing them certainly will help... it distributes the oils and helps keep the coat moist.
Your best bet is to get the Isles of Dogs... heavy management conditioner.... mix in water and mist everyday. I know I'm sounding like a representative of the company and I apologize to the moderators in advance. It is just that this stuff works. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
If you can't get a hold of this product... just pick up a big bottle of Pantene conditioner at the store and use it. It's cheap and will do in a pinch.
Pure Paws conditioning spray works pretty good too. When I use it... I generally dilute it just a little for a maintenance spray.
One thing to stay clear of is, The Stuff conditioner. Ew, that stuff is nasty. I think one of the sheltie grooming books advertised it... and even when diluted correctly it starts to leave a nasty build up after about two or three uses. If anybody has had success with it on here I have an almost full bottle you are welcome to.

I held off on the Ice on Ice because I've decided to just use baby sunscreen on my LB's back (the sun has started bleaching his black fur). And with how much they get wet in the summer, it's cheaper than using expensive products.

Kudos on the Pantene comment! That's what I've been using in my spray bottle. I've stopped using my pin and slicker-just my buttercomb and diluted Pantene mix and oh my gosh what a difference. His coat is laying beautifully against his sides now. I think it really was the brushes I was using. This was taken today.

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/lysette85/Summer%202012/?action=view&current=LM_120710.jpg
He's still got a few fly away fuzzy wuzzies but considering the difference between the video from just a few days ago to now-I can't wait to see what the Isle of Dogs conditioner I bought does for him!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top