Speaking of haircuts-should I cut this fur?

I held off on the Ice on Ice because I've decided to just use baby sunscreen on my LB's back (the sun has started bleaching his black fur). And with how much they get wet in the summer, it's cheaper than using expensive products.

Kudos on the Pantene comment! That's what I've been using in my spray bottle. I've stopped using my pin and slicker-just my buttercomb and diluted Pantene mix and oh my gosh what a difference. His coat is laying beautifully against his sides now. I think it really was the brushes I was using. This was taken today.

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/lysette85/Summer%202012/?action=view&current=LM_120710.jpg
He's still got a few fly away fuzzy wuzzies but considering the difference between the video from just a few days ago to now-I can't wait to see what the Isle of Dogs conditioner I bought does for him!

Holy cow..what a differane!!
 
Actually, Ellie hasn't ever shown. Over the past two years I've just turned into a grooming wacko! :gaah

Over-bathing them with the right type of shampoo will not dry out the coat. Isle of Dogs has a claim that there shampoo is gentle enough to use everyday. But, who has time for that?
Ditch the Ice on Ice. I mean really. I used it all the time in the beginning and it didn't do my guys any favors. I'm not even a big fan of there shampoos. I've heard that a sunscreen used on dogs doesn't last very long anyway... to be effective it has to be reapplied several times a day. Your best bet is to use a good quality conditioner that keeps the coat from drying out.
Brushing them certainly will help... it distributes the oils and helps keep the coat moist.
Your best bet is to get the Isles of Dogs... heavy management conditioner.... mix in water and mist everyday. I know I'm sounding like a representative of the company and I apologize to the moderators in advance. It is just that this stuff works. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
If you can't get a hold of this product... just pick up a big bottle of Pantene conditioner at the store and use it. It's cheap and will do in a pinch.
Pure Paws conditioning spray works pretty good too. When I use it... I generally dilute it just a little for a maintenance spray.
One thing to stay clear of is, The Stuff conditioner. Ew, that stuff is nasty. I think one of the sheltie grooming books advertised it... and even when diluted correctly it starts to leave a nasty build up after about two or three uses. If anybody has had success with it on here I have an almost full bottle you are welcome to.

Which Isle of Dog Conditioner...I have the Lush at the store. Is that the one? What proportion do you mix it?

Like you, I've not been happy with Ice on Ice for awhile. I thought it was great at first, but I just find my dogs coats are very dull. No sheen. And I don't overuse it either. So it's not build up that is the issue, I think.
 
Which Isle of Dog Conditioner...I have the Lush at the store. Is that the one? What proportion do you mix it?

Like you, I've not been happy with Ice on Ice for awhile. I thought it was great at first, but I just find my dogs coats are very dull. No sheen. And I don't overuse it either. So it's not build up that is the issue, I think.

Sheltieluver said "heavy management conditioner"-which maybe would have been better put in caps as it is the actual name of the conditioner. It's for very damaged and dry coats. http://www.amazon.com/Isle-Dogs-Coature-Management-Conditioner/dp/B002LAS6WG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341978575&sr=8-2&keywords=isle+of+dogs+heavy+management

I, too am curious of the proportions of water vs. conditioner when making a misting mix with this conditioner..I suppose it's trial and error but to avoid wasting an expensive conditioner if someone out there already knows the magic numbers I'll take it!
 
Back
Top