Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Structural Evaluations

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by corbinam, Feb 2, 2016.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I agree!

And if anyone has one of those lovely structure diagrams it might help to attach it to this thread as well. I know it helps me.

If no one has one handy I'll try to search for it later--I'm off to agility now.

Oh and I also want to come back and take a shot at Megan's honorary Sheltie! :yes:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    here's a pic of Cranberry, not a perfect stack but a pic I was able to snap a few years ago

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    If you guys really want me to. I'll get some photos this weekend (need the natural light in the house). BF is going to have to help because as soon as I stack Koji, he looks at me. Haha. It's so hard to get a profile pic of him. I just pulled out a lot of his undercoat (they're shedding like crazy and it's cold!) so we should be able to see shape. :)

FYI. He was a show prospect, that's the only reason I suspect his early neutering was cause of his lack of physical maturity. I have got to get a picture of his chest, you guys would be like, WTH!

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    For reference

Here's a good reference! Shows some of the expected angulation.

Attached Files:

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    This is my first attempt ever so I could be way off. But I guess it's a good way to learn! My thoughts are that she is high in the rear. Potentially due to lack of rear angulation? I've also heard the term "long in the loin" which maybe applies here--though I'm not completely sure I know what that means.

How far off am I? Lol

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Here's a photo of Checkers, not perfectly stacked but a good view of her outline, and one of Lacey stacked. You can see the differences between their builds.

Attached Files:

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I have some good photos of a decent dog. This is Miss Liesl. She would have been 10 this May.

Stacked

First photo is of her stacked, and from the side rather than at 3/4 (3/4 is the best way to hide an inadequate front). What I LOVED about her is her front assembly. Her legs are underneath her body, with a well laid back shoulder. The point of her shoulder was where the black starts at the back of her ruff. You can see that her ears are well in front of her front legs, and above her topline without being was over her topline. Her rear from the side was lovely. Strong, correct hocks - from the side. She had a lower vertebra issue that caused her to kick one leg out slightly when she moved. It was ugly, but functional. Ignore the wavy topline here, I was learning to groom heads, we weren't too worried about it.

Moving

Same dog, moving. You can see that she drops her head level with her topline, and her tail set is low to make one nice continuous line. The reach in the front is demonstrative of her front assembly being so well angulated. She's not throwing her front legs high, just reaching out forward. Her rear extends far enough back without going too far, but not equal with the front. The white leg in the rear (the one towards the camera) is the one she would turn out, and you can see it here. Her inside legs meet in the middle without crossing, and her topline was level and clean, not a lot of movement. The topline is simply showing what's underneath it, so a topline that is moving and bouncing all over is showing there is something structurally wrong or out of balance underneath.

Anyway, sorry for the dissertation, but I loved her body. Looking at the two photos, you can also totally tell the difference between Barbie groomed, and yanked out of the back yard. :)

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Here is my Ch Jamie. I think he was 18 months at the time. He was not in coat at all and was needing 1ppint to finish. He took a 5pt major reserve this day.

Give me your opinion.

Attached Files:

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Here is Birch. I think he was 2 yrs in this picture, out of coat obviously. Free stacking begging for a treat from my mom.

Attached Files:

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I think he might have a bit of a straight front. Ears should be in front of legs?