Struggling with exercise - no stamina

Thanks for your responses and support guys.

Merlin's test results came back negative for Addisons. His thyroid levels were low but within normal limits. The vet wants to keep an eye on his thyroid levels, but they are not an immediate concern. Tomorrow he is going for an ECG. They will test his resting heart rate, and then run him around and test again, as the vet thinks the problem is induced by exercise, or as she said stress on the heart. Depending on what that tells them, they may then do a scan of his heart.

I'm still in a daze over it all, as this has come on so quickly. I took him to the beach yesterday and he ran around and seemed great. I thought to myself 'there you are, you are overreacting.' But when he came home he started to have coughing fits that lasted on and off for about an hour. He would cough then gag, but nothing would come up. He was clearly unhappy about it and was trying to drink to stop it, which didn't work. I wanted to help him, but there was nothing I could do. He looked depressed after that, but by the evening had perked up again. I really hope these tests come back with some answers for him.

Corbinam, thank you, that explanation is helpful. I thought IBD was about intolerances, which was why we had to strip Merlin's diet back so severely. Fortunately his tummy is good at the moment. The gurgling is the worst, as I know it is the start of something and I dread it.

Chris, its good to hear about other dogs that are doing well with heart problems. I have been worried sick that his problems may mean he isn't going to be around long, but people have been telling me about dogs with heart issues that lived well into old age. I suppose it all depends what it is that is causing the problem. Hopefully I shall know more tomorrow. I am aiming to remain positive. I just want Merlin to feel good again.
 
that does sound odd that he would cough after running around on the beach- I would think it would be sooner if it was related to that.....
poor boy not knowing what is going on........
 
So Merlin had his ECG at the vets today. They took his resting rate, which was fine, then ran him around the carpark for 5 minutes to try and raise his heartbeat. But, by the time they got him back indoors and hooked him up to the ECG his heart had gone back to a resting rate. I'm not surprised as, until this episode, he has been a fit, athletic dog.

The head vet took a good listen of his heart and he is concerned that there is an irregularity in the rhythm. The heart beat should go 'lub-dub', his was going 'lub-duuuuub'. Vet said that is definitely not normal, so we are off to Dick White Referrals on Tuesday to see a specialist and try and work out what is going on.
 
I hope you get some answers from the specialist for Merlin, Sophie, and that a simple fix like some medication will fix it. As Chris said, there are good heart meds. Years ago we had a Pom with heart issues and he lived for years happily on heart medication. Sending good thoughts your way.
 
I hope you get some answers from the specialist for Merlin, Sophie, and that a simple fix like some medication will fix it. As Chris said, there are good heart meds. Years ago we had a Pom with heart issues and he lived for years happily on heart medication. Sending good thoughts your way.
me too:yes:
 
How did the visit go on Tuesday?
Merlin had to stay overnight so they could run tests. He ended up staying over two nights, because he had an endoscopy that showed his larynx, pharynx and lungs were badly inflamed and when he came round from the anesthetic he was having trouble breathing. I have just posted all about the results. Thank you for asking.
 
Back
Top