Teaching 2o2o contacts

I was recently taught a slightly different method of target training for Sparrow.

So first using the target (a coaster) I taught her to go to it and put both front paws on it. Then I had to throw it a distance and send her to it. So basically wherever it was she ran straight to it and put her front feet on it.

I have just moved to the next stage using half my training a frame flat on the ground. So I put the target on the ground just ahead of the contact. There is no treat on the target, never was. I placed Sparrow just on the plank and told her to go to the target.

Now, just like you found, the first couple of times she twisted completely off to face me. So I adjusted where I was standing so I was facing her, then once she had the position I moved around and to the sides. Also, if her back feet came off I gave her a chance to correct herself before retrying.

It was explained to me that teaching it this way helps keep the dog driving down, so even if the dog goes too far, by waiting for the dog to put itself back into a correct position you are reinforcing drive and accuracy.

Within 5 minutes of doing this I had her landing in the correct 2o2o position 75% of the time. The remaining 25% she would come straight off and then think about it and correct herself. I gave almost zero instructions and no luring, this was all her figuring out what earned a reward. For our first contact training session I am very happy.

I am loving this method of teaching contacts and clearly Sparrow is too. Wish I had know about it for Merlin!
 
I concur with what Ashley said. This is actually one of the mistakes in Edan's training I plan to correct with Keiran.



And folks wonder how we end up with contact suckers. :lol:

What! I was running Birch a few weeks ago and I was woefully behind per usual. Jump, jump, tunnel, dog walk. I stumbled just at Birch came out of the tunnel and approached the dog walk which caused Birch to pull towards me and the jump he thought I was supporting as I said walk. My smart dog knew he could not make the walk from the position he was now in( 2ft past the up ramp)and my shoulder were facing the wrong way anyways so he turned hopped onto the up end in perfect 2o2o and said you may cookie me now. Yep the greatest place on earth is stopped on the bottom of a contact.
 
so he turned hopped onto the up end in perfect 2o2o and said you may cookie me now. Yep the greatest place on earth is stopped on the bottom of a contact.

Good boy Birch! We are starting to "get it" now I think. Here's a video from this morning's training session. I called him off the board for curiosity's sake to see what he would do when I gave him the target command and low and behold he put himself in proper 2o2o position! Yay Cruz!! Thanks everyone for your advice :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ikRjPnMWw&feature=youtu.be
 
Back
Top