Tick Removal Method

When I discovered the fully engorged tick on Rhi's ear last year I called Jim, the vet I worked with, for his suggestions. He said to place the tick key around the tick and quickly, but gently, wipe the tick with alcohol and then pull straight out. He cautioned me that I had to pull immediately after the alcohol so that the tick only loosen's it's grip but doesn't regurgitate. Then I cleaned the area with betadine and put antibiotic ointment on. He told me to place the tick into a container with rubbing alcohol and have it checked to make sure what kind of tick it is.
For ticks not engorged, just use the key but always pull straight out - no twisting. Since Rhi's was a deer tick we are suppose to do another test on her in May to ensure there is no Lyme present. He also told me to check for more ticks on her as they often come in pairs. I have to tell you, this is the first engorged tick I have ever had on a dog and it was one of the grossest things I have ever had to deal with. Considering I worked in clinic with some pretty awful injuries that came in, that is really saying something!
 
I have to tell you, this is the first engorged tick I have ever had on a dog and it was one of the grossest things I have ever had to deal with. Considering I worked in clinic with some pretty awful injuries that came in, that is really saying something!

I know! I'd never seen a tick before, till Sadie was approx. 2 years old. I'm not squeamish and tend to love all sorts of creepy crawly things (I'm a bit of a tomboy) but ticks FREAK me out. I have nightmares about them crawling on me every time I find one. :hide

Engorged ticks are one of the most DISGUSTING things on the planet. :ick
 
They are so gross. I found one a few months ago on the floor just outside Shelby's crate. I thought it was a piece of dirt and was quite surprised when I went to pick it up :gaah I screamed and made DH get it. I know it had to be on her. Our vet just said to watch her for any symptoms for illness but so far she has been fine 3 tics later though.
 
Back in the day I used to ride my horse down corn rows and pick off the ticks as I went along...used to pull huge ticks off the horses too. In those days Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever was more of a concern, I guess Lyme disease hadn't been officially discovered. Tick checks are just a way of life in our area.
 
Last year I was awakened in the middle of the night and for some reason felt my neck under my hair. I felt something move and quickly picked it off and held in the palm of my hand. I scrambled to turn the table lamp on. To my horror it was a tick with a piece of dead skin in it's mouth. Eewwww. Yuck.
I think it came off of Danny Boy.:eek2:
 
I know! I'd never seen a tick before, till Sadie was approx. 2 years old. I'm not squeamish and tend to love all sorts of creepy crawly things (I'm a bit of a tomboy) but ticks FREAK me out. I have nightmares about them crawling on me every time I find one. :hide

Engorged ticks are one of the most DISGUSTING things on the planet. :ick

This is why I had to get a Tick key (and make my husband actually remove the tick). I HATE ticks, and they freak me out to no end. I keep having imaginary tickles and such after seeing them. Of course I'm also terrfied of spiders, bees, beetles, and just about every insect in the world (this is why I focus on bacteria & viruses as a biologist!!). Ewwww!!! Give me snakes & frogs over ticks any day!
 
Back
Top