Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ticks!

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Pam, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    We use Interceptor for heartworm as well.

RikyR likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OMG... ticks at an outdoor show??? You mean they don't treat the area before knowing there is a show coming? Makes me never want to go to an outdoor show with my dogs!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Nope, they just make sure the grass is cut short, they don't treat for ticks. I'm most definitely NOT going back there again!

4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I use Tri-Heart Plus for hearworm with Beau. It does contain Invermectin but I know the vet and I discussed it, and Beau (I think) was tested for MDR1 mutation before she prescribed it.

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I use Trifexis for Lil' Lady. As Mr. Google suggested I give her a dose every 6 weeks instead of 4.
    As I stated the vet told Mr. Google died last year. I like the spread of giving her the med then I
    don't feel like I am over medicating her. The med works well. I loved Interceptor but our vet quit
    using it when it went off the market for a bit.
    Yes they should treat the grass area.

6. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Vallejo
    Just happened to be passing by...

I loved these collars, worked fantastic.
    Then I read that the active ingredient was found in a study to cause shephards and herding dogs to have a much higher incidence of cancer.
    Sorry I can't remember exactly where or what it is at the moment, however it was legit enough at the time for me to stop using and recommending them.

Hanne likes this.