Tips/Drills for powering down

So, the best way for them to jump is with their head more inline with their back, instead of being held up?
I have to wonder about that, because it seems to me if the head is too low that would flatten out the jump arc and lead to more dropped bars.
 
inverted style is when back is kinda inverted while jumping. Flat is when body lined up, round arch when back legs are down and head/ neck is down as well , dog appear like bow, this is what we see when dog is crossing jump bar. When dog is landing with round arch, he lifts his head on landing thus decreasing impact on front legs, the bow movement also helps to propel dog up easier and use rear muscle/legs better.
 
Jump Grids

I have to wonder about that, because it seems to me if the head is too low that would flatten out the jump arc and lead to more dropped bars.

I asked both Erin(world team member) and she looked at me like I was nuts and had no clue what I was asking and also got the same reaction from Lo Baker.
 
Every photo I have of Phebe jumping and most I've seen of other dogs jumping, their heads are up. The exception is some tire shots.

I've always been told that it's the distance of the dog's takeoff point that controls whether the high point of jump arc is over the bar. That's why dogs with early takeoff syndrome crash bars -- they misjudge their distance from the jump, takeoff early, and crash the bar because they are descending over the bar.
 
We worked a long time on teaching Trax to arc jumps. Basically what my instructor had us do was sit him right in front of a jump. Start with a low jump height. Sit on your knees right beside the upright. Hold a treat on the other side of the jump down on the ground and release the dog to jump and land head down. Once they can jump it consistently and pop those feet up without hitting the bar then start to raise the bar until it's at their jump height. It really helped Trax jump more arc'ed, less flat and keep his feet up better.
 
Sharon, I might be not explaining clearly, if you have Linda M book on "Developing jumping skills" there is great reference given , also this site
http://bbs.sitstay.com/showflat.php...page=22&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
and yes, Phebe, distance from the jump is the one of the variables, dog jumping style depends on many of them, structure, foundation training, temperament, jump height, etc
I have seen many ugly jumpers on agility field, landing with such heavy Oomph that seems all air comes out of them... I think same as human athletes using proper body mechanics helps dog to stay healthy longer.... jumps are the most used obstacles and the most damaging ones IMHO
so yeah, ultimately I am hoping to lay enough foundation so Che has enough skills to choose best appropriate jump style when needed...
 
Still a problem

Does anyone have any more suggestions for things to work to help Lexi learn to decelerate and collect?

I've been working on jump grids, and she does extremely well. We also have been working jump boxes and it's usually not an issue. As soon as she is allowed to build up speed (on course) she just flies over jumps and turns extremely wide.

For instance, we ran a snooker course today and there were essentially 3 jumps in a straight line, but almost across the length of the field. Of course Lexi can out pace me in a situation like that, but I could not for the life of me get her to wrap the third jump. I was trying to get her to do an "in" which is what I call a wrap and a FC. On a jump box, she does it no problem and clearly knows what "in" means. She even seems to know it in every situation, but just turns SO wide.

I broke the sequence down and just had her wrap the jump and rewarded her, then I added some distance and she would only collect to make the turn about 50% of the time. Coming from the second jump to the third she almost never made the turn tightly.

What am I doing wrong? Does she just need more work?

I am decelerating, giving her a verbal decel cue ("shhhh") and turning slowly and fairly early, but nothing doing.

I am thinking of starting to correct her (which is what Stuart Mah was having me do when she started throwing herself over jumps) but I'm not sure whether I should do that or not. It seems clear to me that she is CHOOSING not to collect for the turn.

Help!
 
Powering Down

My suggestion to you right now is not to fret and worry about it.I think you should wait till you move to Ohio in a couple weeks and then get settled and find a place to train and a good instructor.How far are you from Linda Mecklingburg?Dont rush her she is just a baby dog like Sting.What part of Ohio are you moving to?
 
Back
Top