Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

To debark or not to debark

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Wagonracer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ruckusluvr

ruckusluvr Forums Enthusiast

I personally do not have a problem with it. Most all of the show shelties and collies that i know are debarked. I have worked with many debarked collies as far as training and handling.

I am not promising my guys will not get debarked. If i move into the city limits, in an apartment or with close neighbors i seriously think that we will have to debark.

I actually DO wish I would had gotten both of mine debarked when they were getting spayed/neutered. that way they will not have to go under again just for a debarking in the future. I would rather not debark, but I am sure that I will eventually have to.

2. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    Smudge, they really ought to spend their resources on more pressing matters!

ruckus, yea I know alot of show dogs are debarked but apparently in Australia a woman whose dog(s) were debarked were all seized because she'd gone and shown the debarked dog(s) in the show ring!

3. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Debarking

Shadow is debarked and also you would never know it. He sounds like he is hoarse.Sting is not debarked and I to will not do it unless I moved into an apartment.I shut some people up one day at a dog park this summer. You could hear what they call whispering about Shadow having his voice box removed.I said you guys have no idea what you are talking about. His voice box was not removed and if it was he would not make any sound at all. I called them IDIOTs.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I have made no secret that my dog was debarked by his breeder and why; in fact those comments are in this very thread, post number 8 if you want to read them, so I'm not going to rehash it here.

There are SO MANY more dangerous things to a dog's health and well-being than a debarking procedure. I agree with Smudge - they arrest a responsible and caring for debarking when those who run puppy mills, that we all know lead to dogs with behavior and health issues, are ignored. It's just WRONG!

Those dogs were not suffering, they were pampered and loved. Believe me, dogs actually ADJUST to having their barker toned down. Edan's never had a problem communicating with other dogs because his voice was muted. Believe me - that dog still has one heck of a bark on him.

5. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    I think debarking is wrong (my opinion only :biggrin2:), but I agree. They make some of the dumbest laws. They really do. In Arkansas (I swear I'm not making this up!) if it is raining you are only allowed to use your windshield wipers IF you have your headlights on. If a police catches you without your lights on, and you are using your windshield wipers you will get a ticket.

Isn't it nice to know that the people in Washington are looking out for my best interest? :rolleyes2::lol:

6. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    In NY..your headlights are to be on at all times. Many new cars,are made now that when you start your car,your headlights automatically come on.

The windshield wiper law ia also one in NY. Its so differant here in SC.Lord only knows how many idiots don't even turn on thier headlights. To busy yacking on cell phones! Cell phones are a way of life here.

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca's breeder had hers done (show dogs). She seemed fine with it and I admit that there is cases it makes sense though Sca will retain his bark so he can sass his sheep (doesn't really bark a ton when he is outside alone). The people described in other posts though :mad: Poison Sca and my advice is run! and run far, sell your house and disappear because you just messed with my family and you have no other hope :mad:

8. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    My headlights are always on, but it is out of routine that I do it (because of when I work). But is that not the dumbest thing ever?! :mad: They just passed a law here that you can't text on your phones while driving. It's a good law, but how can you honestly prove you caught somebody doing that?

I have a cell phone, but it's a Net 10 prepaid phone. I hate people who text all the time. What more is there to say after you've texted for three hours?! Is it really that important? Maybe I'm getting old at the ripe old age of 26. :lol:

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    if a cop pulls you over he can check your outbox texts and look at the date and time. if the time matches the time you were driving....then that's enough proof.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Our government just passed an anti-cell phone law. Handsfree only!

I think its a great law. I had a fender-bender myself a few years ago because I was talking on my cell phone. Totally my fault.

Even though I have blue tooth in my car, and my cell is now handsfree, even then, I often will not answer a call coming in unless I think I absolutely have to.