Training techniques: Caesar vs. the rest???

I read something simular to that once (cant remember where) I remember it was a doberman pup the guy used. He took the puppy to fenced in safe area and waited until the pup was distracted with the smells, he then left it waiting until the puppy was very upset and scared before he would come back and pay attention to it. It was supposed to make the pup see that it is totaly dependent on the new owner for food and care, and that it should never lose focus on the person. I thought it was terrible and couldnt believe someone could be so heartless and cruel. It seems to me that would cause the pup to have issues with SA later on in life.

Am not sure if it was done properly but it calls abandonment treatment. If lets say you in the class with instructor who lets you do it, you are doing off leash work and walk with your dog, then you dogs goes to sniff- you leave out of sight and show up when your dog noticed you and actively looking for you. This is mild version, harsher one- when your dog lets say lunged at other dog at distance and you have a hook to tether his leash to it. You just leave and kind of saying to your dog- " If you behave this way I am out here"
it works for those situation when your dog says" oh mom but this boy is giving me an eye, I just have to respond! Nope you don't , I do not support your decision" my answer.
You have to know why are doing it and what situation. If the dog's reaction is sheer fear you will make it worse. If it territorial and dog does care whether you are there or not it will.
What you describing above does not make much sense. Dog already knows you are source so controlling resources at home/ your usual NILIF/ program works just fine. When my boys start getting confrontational with other dog, lets say we met on leash and I see forward movement and ears go up all I do is step directly behind my dog. Takes wind right out of the situation.
 
Last edited:
Cesar Milan

Are you serious? How else do you handle a 100 lb husky trying to ripe your arm off. Ceaser is amazing. I love his technique and methods. I spanked lacey when she pees on the floor. Hasnt done it in probably a year now. My boyfriends moms pom/chi bites and he wont bite me or my boyfriend because we don't let him get away with it. grab him by the neck and yell at him. it works. a bad dog dosnt deserve proper training methods. i got spanked as i kid, i will spank my kids and my dogs.

I was going to stay out of this thread but when I read your comment about hitting your dog well that changed everything.To me hitting your dog or grabbing him by the neck is animal abuse.It is the same as Micheal Vick fighting dogs.
 
I agree, Julia....3Stars advice on the goodwill bank is a good one.

It recognizes, and we all know this, that positive reinforcement is best and it takes time to get the training. But 3Stars also recognizes that sometimes corrections are required. But there is a time for them, and should not be the first resort.

3stars.....I am curious as to what "correction" you feel is appropriate for a dog.....lets use say for a more mundane Sheltie example, as opposed to an aggressive large dog. Perhaps a non-stop barker????

No corrections are needed if you do positive training right, If you can't manage the situation, like keeping garbage out of reach, closing blinds when you're gone, use crates.
If a dog gets it wrong, it really just means you have to BREAK down the teaching steps even more. As long as we allow our dogs self rewarding behaviour and don't manage it, the longer and more difficult it will be to untrain this unwanted behaviour!

Personally, I disagree somewhat with the 'goodwill bank' although I understand and appreciate the sentiment behind it!
In a lot of ways it is certainly a good analogy... here is where I disagree... if you build up so much rapport and trust and put in so much work to make your dog trust and respect you, why do you now feel you need to go in and make withdrawals willingly? To possibly undo everything you've saved there? You may want to hold on to those savings for human errors, such as hollering and all the other things we humans do out of frustration to our poor best friends, lol.. we are human!


One of my trainers explains it like this:
Without TRUST there is no RESPECT, no willingness to work and learn. Trust comes first, and a dog will really only trust a human that is 100% non-threatening and non-punitive. These positive teaching methods don't mean to be permissive or have to be all too touchy/feely. There is a difference between building a trusting, close-bonded relationship, and catering to or indulging our dogs. One leads to voluntary compliance and a well-behaved partner; the latter to an entitled, and possibly aggressive, brat.

Positive training goals can be achieved by:
Resource control - providing opportunities for the dog to get what he wants while making access dependent on behavior!

Protection - understanding and respecting the dog’s limitations and making decisions that are in the dog’s interest!

The beauty of it is that you don’t have to be physically stronger and more aggressive than your dog. Size doesn’t matter when you control your dog’s mind instead of his body, because your dog learns to take their cues from you.
Even when in conflict, she will trust you and take her cues from you, because you proved in the past that you are able to make consistently decisions that provide what she wants and needs, and keeps her safe. You proved that when she makes a mistake, you redirect gently."


SO, my lesson learned is that EVEN when my dog makes a mistake I don't punish but I redirect... to me redirection is the only 'punishment' or 'correction' I accept in a trainer or instructor. I will never look back to the old ways again, because all of this made me (and my dog) a LOT happier!

PS, I also hate the sound of that ICE AGE training, two weeks of solitary sounds like hell to me, even if my dog could handle it...
 
Last edited:
My understanding of the goodwill bank was that the 'withdrawls' are when you let the positive approach slip and if you have this concept at the back of your mind, you are less likely to 'forget yourself' and resort to punishment. As a 'switch over' trainer, (and only human) I sometimes unthinkingly use a corrective method:

For instance, Yogi is rather dog reactive and we had an unfortunate incident with a lab puppy earlier this week (lab bouncing all over and us not able to get away from it = fustrated and hyped Yogi.) This has caused a step backwards. Yogi has been making steady progress with redirectional training yet it is so easy to resort to a telling off or a lead jerk (neither of which have any effect so I really don't know why I do it!:rolleyes2:) if he barks at someone's inoffensive elderly dog and I'm not ready with the treats and clicker. Remembering the Goodwill Bank concept has made me think twice before using the correction so even if that isn't quite the principal behined it.

Another thing about corrective training is that different breeds and even different dogs respond in a huge variety of ways to the same correction. Shelties are far more sensitive than bull terriers for instance, but telling off Yogi is like water off a duck's back whereas his brother Harle would go to pieces at a hint of a cross word.
 
My understanding of the goodwill bank was that the 'withdrawls' are when you let the positive approach slip and if you have this concept at the back of your mind, you are less likely to 'forget yourself' and resort to punishment. As a 'switch over' trainer, (and only human) I sometimes unthinkingly use a corrective method:

For instance, Yogi is rather dog reactive and we had an unfortunate incident with a lab puppy earlier this week (lab bouncing all over and us not able to get away from it = fustrated and hyped Yogi.) This has caused a step backwards. Yogi has been making steady progress with redirectional training yet it is so easy to resort to a telling off or a lead jerk (neither of which have any effect so I really don't know why I do it!:rolleyes2:) if he barks at someone's inoffensive elderly dog and I'm not ready with the treats and clicker. Remembering the Goodwill Bank concept has made me think twice before using the correction so even if that isn't quite the principal behined it.

Another thing about corrective training is that different breeds and even different dogs respond in a huge variety of ways to the same correction. Shelties are far more sensitive than bull terriers for instance, but telling off Yogi is like water off a duck's back whereas his brother Harle would go to pieces at a hint of a cross word.



ok, that makes excellent sense! Thanks for explaining it that way! It is as I thought, just as LONG as we only mess it up cuz we are human, and NOT because we are being told or think we HAVE to punish/correct. I wanted to ensure that is clear, my position is that IDEALLY no punishment or correction should be done, when a dog makes a mistake... Regardless of the breed
 
Let's be clear about what we mean by "corrective".

I don't think anyone here is talking about punitive or abusive. I think what most are talking about is the sharp "ah-ah", a tug on the leash. Sometimes, I will walk my dogs backward into a sit/down...when they are going crazy after the doorbell rings.

Toffee's mom....maybe it would help if you explain what you mean by "redirection"....maybe its the same thing? So what are proper corrective/redirection techniques?

In my view there are two types of training:

Proactive or anticipatory....where you condition your dog to react to certain situations in certain ways. This is the hard one and the one that most people fail at because it requires you to get off your couch and really work at it.

Reactive or corrective.....where your dog is misbehaving, and you need to stop the behaviour NOW! You may not have the option of "treating/praising" immediately, so you've lost the opportunity to turn it into a positive training experience (e.g. you've got a courier at the door waiting for a signature....please wait while I praise my dog....can your other deliveries wait while I make my dog feel good?)
 
Reactive or corrective.....where your dog is misbehaving, and you need to stop the behaviour NOW! You may not have the option of "treating/praising" immediately, so you've lost the opportunity to turn it into a positive training experience (e.g. you've got a courier at the door waiting for a signature....please wait while I praise my dog....can your other deliveries wait while I make my dog feel good?)


Yes, I want to hear about this too. I have never trained Sandstorm to NOT bark and follow the grocery delivery guy when he comes in my house. I don't know where to begin because of what you said above, Barb. The guy can't stand there and wait with heavy groceries outside my door while the dog is put in a calm, sit-stay. So I never trained for it.
 
I want to emphasize that "correction" is exactly that: a "correction". It has to be appropriate, applicable, and reflect my training goals. It should never, ever be done in anger. For example, recently Starr started to decide for himself when to release from the "settle" position. He has known the "settle" position for well over a year now, he knows both the "settle" cue and the release cue, he has been consistently reinforced and proofed for it, and I am reasonable in the length of time I expect him to stay in it. To correct this behaviour, I put him in the settle and stood on his leash. When he self-released, he immediately felt the pressure from his buckle collar and settled back into position. He received positive reinforcement for settling in to position, and a release shortly thereafter. I like this type of correction because it doesn't involve the owner getting angry or stressed - it cues the dog that they're doing something they shouldn't be, and the dogs have to figure out what behaviour is expected. When I am referring to "corrections" for my sheltie, it could be a light touch on their head to remind them to look at me, walking away from them if they lose focus on a heel pattern, a noise, stopping a walk etc. Starr had a habit of fence running at the dog park (big dogs are on one side, small dogs are on the other). I don't mind this, as long as he can be called off of it. When he was learning this he sometimes didn't come when called, so I physically moved between the fence and him to drive him away from the fence, and then rewarded him as soon as there was some distance. There was no physical contact, no harsh words, no anger - but I corrected the behaviour by moving him away from the fence without ever touching him, and he now comes flying when I call.

"Corrections" is not a bad word (think of all the times teachers correct students), but because people are now associating it with aggression and violence due to the overuse of the word on a variety of shows, it's developed a whole background meaning that shouldn't exist.

3stars.....I am curious as to what "correction" you feel is appropriate for a dog.....lets use say for a more mundane Sheltie example, as opposed to an aggressive large dog. Perhaps a non-stop barker????

So much depends on why the dog is barking in the first place...

I would use a couple of different different methods. I would make sure the dog was always with me (probably with a partner leash, so that I could be on top of the problem whenever it starts. I would work a ton of focus exercises, so that the dog reacts to stress by looking at you instead of barking.

I've had some success with teaching dogs what the command for "bark" is, and from there what the command for "no bark" is.

I'm a big fan of clicker training, and I've had huge success with the LAT method for reactive dogs. It goes completely against what your instinct is saying you should do, but it works - I've experienced the results first hand. The key to it is that you have to click the instant something catches the dog's attention - you can't wait until the dog is losing it's head.

I have seen dogs who bark just to hear themselves bark. One of my friends is a collie breeder, and a phenomenal trainer and groomer. She tried everything under the sun to get her collie to stop barking while she was training, and finally she ended up putting her hands on the dog's mouth and saying in a firm voice "no bark". She has an excellent relationship with her dogs - her dog isn't afraid of her, and is used to being handled, so this wasn't frightening to the dog in any way. Again, it's a correction - not a beating. When my friend did this, the message to her dog was clear, her dog no longer barks while training, and there is still an excellent relationship between the owner and the dog (perhaps moreso now, since my friend is no longer stressed about having to train a yappy dog!)

These are just a few ideas - so much depends on the dog and their personality. For example, I would never put my hands on the mouth of a skittish, shy, or fearful dog.

Someone mentioned depriving the dog of attention and I remembered a discussion I had with a Finnish agility friend recently. She was telling me about this training thing they call "Ice Age" where you basically ignore the dog completely for 2 weeks (only interaction being feeding time, but after the dog sits, and only after you stroke the head as a "dominant gesture"). If the dog approaches you, you make a loud AHREEMMM sound like you're clearing your throat to get the dog away. After those 2 weeks, there is a process of reintegrating the dog into the pack, but only if it listens and is obedient and comes when called, if it doesn't but goes to another person instead, it is shooed as if it's not welcomed. This is repeated until the dog actually goes to the owner when called. My friend went through this process with 2 of her dogs, and she said she saw an effect on her dogs and they listened to her more (though it didn't last incredibly long).

I've heard of a few trainers in town using this method for their Schutzhund dogs. I completely disagree with it, will never use it, and will never advocate its use in this form. I will never be so desperate to win a competition that I will place my dogs in social isolation for two weeks. If it ever comes to that, then I should have my dogs taken away because I will have lost sight of why I have them in the first place - as companions and friends.

Lets say you in the class with instructor who lets you do it, you are doing off leash work and walk with your dog, then you dogs goes to sniff- you leave out of sight and show up when your dog noticed you and actively looking for you.

I have done this, although I've always stayed in sight. As soon as the dog caught up to me s/he was given a "jackpot reward" to reinforce the behaviour of being with me. It works well - I like it a lot better than other methods people use like leash pops.

No corrections are needed if you do positive training right.
That would be like saying (for those with children) if you teach your child appropriate behaviour in a positive manner, you will never need to correct their behaviour. In an ideal world, this would be wonderful, but any parent/teacher can tell you that's not the way it works. You need to keep in mind the key word in corrections is "correct". Corrections are not punishments (that's why I have the guidelines of relevant, appropriate, reflect the training goals, and never done in anger) - they are designed to correct a behaviour once you have done all of the appropriate pre-conditioning, training, reinforcement and proofing.

If you can't manage the situation, like keeping garbage out of reach, closing blinds when you're gone, use crates. If a dog gets it wrong, it really just means you have to BREAK down the teaching steps even more. As long as we allow our dogs self rewarding behaviour and don't manage it, the longer and more difficult it will be to untrain this unwanted behaviour!
I agree

Personally, I disagree somewhat with the 'goodwill bank' although I understand and appreciate the sentiment behind it!
In a lot of ways it is certainly a good analogy... here is where I disagree... if you build up so much rapport and trust and put in so much work to make your dog trust and respect you, why do you now feel you need to go in and make withdrawals willingly? To possibly undo everything you've saved there? You may want to hold on to those savings for human errors, such as hollering and all the other things we humans do out of frustration to our poor best friends, lol.. we are human!

My understanding of the goodwill bank was that the 'withdrawls' are when you let the positive approach slip and if you have this concept at the back of your mind, you are less likely to 'forget yourself' and resort to punishment.

Seashel is correct - it's a method of double checking. The idea is to make students think about how much correcting they're doing vs. how much rewarding. I've noticed students in beginner classes have a real tendency constantly correct their dogs, and rarely reward. I use the "goodwill bank" to remind them that the relationship with their dogs should be based on positive reinforcement, as opposed to negative. And, by the way, those human errors you mentioned are exactly what the goodwill bank is for. Whether the correction was a good one (thoughtful and appropriate) or a bad one (frustration and other human errors), the goodwill bank concept helps us remember that we need to cultivate the positive side of our relationship with our dogs, instead of the negative side.

These positive teaching methods don't mean to be permissive or have to be all too touchy/feely. There is a difference between building a trusting, close-bonded relationship, and catering to or indulging our dogs. One leads to voluntary compliance and a well-behaved partner; the latter to an entitled, and possibly aggressive, brat.

@ToffeeMom - your trainers philosophy is the exact same philosophy of the goodwill bank - she just uses the word "redirect" instead of "correct".

Remembering the Goodwill Bank concept has made me think twice before using the correction.

Fantastic!

Dogs appreciate fair, consistent leadership, and part of that leadership is being able to correct the dog in an appropriate and fair manner which respects the positive relationship you wish to have with your dog.
 
3stars, I would let you have my dog anytime, and I sure as heck don't want to bog the discussion down on semantices between positive trainers, lol..
I want to ensure people use positive training at all times, instead of wanting to copy hewhoshallnotbenamed on Nat. geographic TV ;)

I see what Seashel and you have explained about the goodwill bank, and it is a great tool to ensure we think twice about punitive corrections... :biggrin2:

I just TRY and push it the one step further, and say that maybe we CAN NOT have it BOTH ways, either you use positive only or you use punitive with positive... and I try to stick to the former but allow for my human shortcomings.

AS to the question how to 'correct' what you haven't trained when it comes to barking at the delivery man? You wouldn't train and set up the dog for failure... you have to do SMALL steps and set up to SLOWLY increase intensity input gradually ... Before you let the delivery guy in you would need to manage the situation! ... Put the dog in another room to bark, if you don't have time to work with him... also I have not only treats and toys handy in different parts of the house, but just verbal praise can offer encouragement, but won't work as good as a clicker... haha also I have a clicker on my wrist most of the time I am at home or it's by the door, lol so I can CLICK before he reacts, IF I catch it in time...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top