Trapp not eating as much

Here again, just my opinion, but I let dogs figure out their own line of command unless there is a health issue in the mix.

With Cleveland and Bear: Bear was dominant.

With McKinley and Teddy: McKinley is the dominant

I am no dog behaviorist, but thinking from Trapp's point of view:

He came home to you and you introduced him to Earnie and Earnie knew the place and knew the ropes and Earnie naturally became dominant.

Jasper came home and you most likely told Trapp, "Easy Trapp, he is little." and you fussed over him for a while. Jasper became special in Trapp's mind and gave him deference because of his respect for you.

That is how McKinley probably got the jumpstart on Teddy. That and McKinley can out think him 10 to 1 on a bad day!

As long as he is not losing weight, and he seems well and happy. Try the 15 minutes and up goes the food like Dr Shelli said. Your instincts will kick in if he is sick and he will tell you.
 
Well, trying to decide to weight into this thread....it's kinda gotten all over the map, so I'm not sure if I'm even answering the right questions anymore.

1) My breeder tells me that it's perfectly normal for pups to go off their feed at this age. It's part of the "you are not the boss of me" teenage phase that they go through. She also reminded me many times, that unless there was a true health issue, they would not starve themselves to death. It's just not their nature.

2) But they can get picky about their food and pick and choose what they want to eat and what they don't. I'm with JusticeMom on this. Make the food appetizing, give them 15 minutes to eat, then take it away. Stop the hand feeding and cuddling. I know from experience this does not work, as I had this issue with Bacca for months.

3) It's possible that he just decided that he does not like this food anymore. I think that was part of my issue with Bacca (apart from the medical issues). When he got sick, he just turned off his old diet. When I switched over to Now! and mixed it with a tablespoon of Merricks' Thanksgiving Day Dinner, Bacca now clears his bowl in about 45 seconds.

We all know that our dog's eating is clearly an indication of whether or not things are well. If they are off their food, then we assume something is not well. But sometimes, it's just plain rebel.

I know I'm guilty myself, but sometimes, we just gotta stop babying these pups too much! Methinks, at least!
 
Back
Top