Trapp not eating as much

Totally normal for dogs to eat less as they age and stop growing. Your lucky to have a self regulator. Truely. Ember isn't crazy about the VP and she is Miss Piggy. Maybe Trapp doesn't like the taste of the new VP.
 
It could also be that he's tired of the food he's getting, Michele...I've had that happen with some of mine even when it's the top of the line brands. Mine all eat the VP easily but, like Jan, I mix about a T of canned food and add some warm water to every meal and they gobble it down. I find it's the easiest way to give them supplements, and when I don't do that, some of the supplements tend to fall to the bottom of the bowl and get left.

What kind of food is Trapp eating now and what does he weigh? How much do you feed him? Our guys, all around 20 - 22 lbs eat 1/4 cup twice a day and we still have to keep an eye on their weight so they aren't little tanks. We feed the premium holistic brands.
 
It could also be that he's tired of the food he's getting, Michele...I've had that happen with some of mine even when it's the top of the line brands. Mine all eat the VP easily but, like Jan, I mix about a T of canned food and add some warm water to every meal and they gobble it down. I find it's the easiest way to give them supplements, and when I don't do that, some of the supplements tend to fall to the bottom of the bowl and get left.

What kind of food is Trapp eating now and what does he weigh? How much do you feed him? Our guys, all around 20 - 22 lbs eat 1/4 cup twice a day and we still have to keep an eye on their weight so they aren't little tanks. We feed the premium holistic brands.

Well after reading your post,and Trapp is just eating his supper,Brian is sitting on the floor saying..come on bud...Brian has brought it to my attention,that when we bought dog food the last time,we went with the largest bag of TOTW,as we wanted to start with a level of protien close to what Jasper was getting with his food when he came home.
And we did'nt want to have to buy another bag like in two weeks,so we opted with the big bag.So they are all eating TOTW,Pacific Stream formula.

But we always have rotated thru all 3 varieties.We've never had any issies of being finiky.But you may be on to something,as Brian said it to..."maybe is is tired a salmon"

Trapp has weighed 19# since a week or two before bringing Jasper home.He was just weighed again 2 days ago,same weight,so he's not losing by any means.And he does eat.

This is what we are noticing:
Earnhardt eats in the kitchen over at one side,Trapp eats also in the kitchen,another side.

Since Jasper has been home, since we do start with feeding in the crate..eventually we work in training to get them to eat side by side, or at least in the same area,no wandering allowed.

It takes me a bit,but we have success.Which for us,since we do occasionally have dog sitters come in if we are going away,I just feel its important that I KNOW,my dogs are eating from thier own bowls,no food agreesion issues,and I can safely trust they will behave,even with a neighbor.(Just a me thing):wink2:

So for now he has been eating in his crate. We will start next week,in the area of no wandering with Jasper.

Earnhardt finishes first now,and he exits the kitchen. He never has even made a move towardss Trapp,but Trapp does step aside.Dominance thing I'm sure.(As Trapp even steps aside to let Earnhardt first thru doorways,every time,I think if they were on a sinking boat,he would save Earnhardt first.It's his way of showing respect.

Jasper is taken from his crate,and we get him also to walk past Trapp(on his own feet) to exit kitchen to go outside.Trapp kinda looks,nibbles,watches.Then stops eating.

Once the other two are exited kitchen,we seem to be coaxing Trapp to finish his kibble.And most times he does,he's just verrry slowww~

All this week he has consumed in total for the day 1c of TOTW. Previously he was eating 1-1/2 c for the day.

As Janet & I have talked on many occasions,Trapp is going 95% of the day,his body is run,run all day.He is extremely solid & heavy muscled.Now with Jasper home,it is coupled with run,run all day,then the ongoing wreastling,play all day with Jasper. It never ends unless they are crashed napping.

What type of canned food are you using,and how much ratio of warm water to canned,should I try.

I am leaning towards..maybe his comfort level has been knocked off balance,maybe in confusion one in crate..earnhardt finishing first..and maybe a sudden dislike of the food.?? Because he's tired of it~

I'm open for anyones thoughts.
He's not starving by any means,but there has been a change,and I am hoping its just his body slowing,and he's leveling off.
 
Totally normal for dogs to eat less as they age and stop growing. Your lucky to have a self regulator. Truely. Ember isn't crazy about the VP and she is Miss Piggy. Maybe Trapp doesn't like the taste of the new VP.

Well that was very clear to me yesterday at breakfast.I had it sprinkled over his food,he sniffed..walked away.Then I took it out of the bowl,washed it in hot water,remeasured fresh food..and he ate.

There is something in that Joint & Muscle formula that he is not liking.I do still have show formula,so I'm going to resume giving that to him instead. It's sometimes difficult differentiating bowls with the sprinkled VP,as it looks so much the same.

I measure food at night,so what I have been doing is putting the jar of VP (muscle/joint) setting it inside of Earnhardts bowl,so I know who's is who.

It would make no differance,but Earnhardt does get a tad more food,as he only is fed once a day.I could I guess not measure food night before,but I'm for the most part pretty comatose in the mornings. NEED COFFEE~:wink2:
 
Just my humble opinion, maybe Trapp is letting both Earnie and Jasper be dominant and since they are done eating maybe Trapp thinks he should be too!
 
Michelle from experience with my clients and Jazz,more the attention you give to them eating slow, adding things to the food to incourage eating, then hand feeding(I know your not) the slower the dog eats. As long as the dog is acting normal, no vomiting and not having diarrhea, I think the best course of action is to put the food down,give them 15 minutes to eat and then pick up the rest until next feeding time. After a couple days 99% of the dogs will start to eat faster. JMO
 
Just my humble opinion, maybe Trapp is letting both Earnie and Jasper be dominant and since they are done eating maybe Trapp thinks he should be too!

So how do I begin to fix it? you think he would let Jasper be dominant even at such a young age?

We certainly did not teach or instill in Trapp,to respect Earnhardt.But I have said this countless times to Janet,about how Trapp steps aside going & coming thru doors.

Now that I'm thinking,s***T..
Yesterday I noticed when they came in from outside,Earnhardt was first,Jasper second,Trapp last.

Now you have me thinking.But what do we do?
 
Michelle from experience with my clients and Jazz,more the attention you give to them eating slow, adding things to the food to incourage eating, then hand feeding(I know your not) the slower the dog eats. As long as the dog is acting normal, no vomiting and not having diarrhea, I think the best course of action is to put the food down,give them 15 minutes to eat and then pick up the rest until next feeding time. After a couple days 99% of the dogs will start to eat faster. JMO

Ok...
Yea I'm not worried as far as loose poo,or illness,and heaven forbid I don't hand feed.I don't go there.

He's taking all of the 15 minute time frame,slowly nibbling.Is he done teething? He's 7 months.
 
It could also be that he's tired of the food he's getting, Michele...I've had that happen with some of mine even when it's the top of the line brands. Mine all eat the VP easily but, like Jan, I mix about a T of canned food and add some warm water to every meal and they gobble it down. I find it's the easiest way to give them supplements, and when I don't do that, some of the supplements tend to fall to the bottom of the bowl and get left.

What kind of food is Trapp eating now and what does he weigh? How much do you feed him? Our guys, all around 20 - 22 lbs eat 1/4 cup twice a day and we still have to keep an eye on their weight so they aren't little tanks. We feed the premium holistic brands.

Ann you asked about food, oh no, here we go! :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top