Trimming ears and around ears

LOL! I think your instructions and diagrams have raised the bar! Great job!

This painting is gorgeous. I love how she did everythng on the picture. I get really aggravated when I see statues, paintings, etc.. and they never capture those beautiful sheltie eyes. Your artist sure did capture her eyes with your girl! When these artists do squinting eyes, horrible.

I can't wait for the feet and hocks. The back legs??? I trim most of the hair short above the ankle on the back, and I don't think that is right.

Ditto- painting of your girl is beautiful and I'd like to see the legs too.....
 

OK here is the touch up pic..it was a little hard to do the fur infront of his ears as it was a side ways looking pic I tried to show his right ear but he had soo much fur infront of it that it kept on adding more fur!!!ggrrr :) ...When you trim his ears cut the top tips that are almost touching his head short so there appears to be a larger gap than there is, and trim just a bit of the fur infront of his ears down a little bit (so he doesnt appear too sparse). this should help so he doesnt appear too low set.

I'm guessing because his ears tip out, I should be trimming the outside edge fairly close as well? And the inside edge leave a little longer (ie. to fill the wide space between his ears?)

What about the back of his ears? I have a tendency to trim them close but I think that just makes his ears look flatter. Should I let the fur grow a little longer? If I understand "The Guide", I should let the hair at the break grow out, and also trim the back of the ear lower into the ruff.

btw - the picture is gorgeous! I would love to have paintings of my pups!
 
Yes leave the inside edges longer to make the gap appear closer.. but not too long where they just look raggy. on the backs of the ears I do trim but I leave about an inch or so to leave them looking plush and soft(into the ruff).

This is the person who painted my picture. She sells on ebay and often has auctions where you can bid and she will paint your dogs or you can contact her and she will paint and sell outside of ebay. She owns and shows Smooth and Rough Collies. http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/barb374_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ
 
I'm coming into this late, but I published my own ear trimming guide here months ago (or, rather, over a year ago!)!

http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=538

That's Narmowen, I knew that you posted something but I couldn't find it. I actually use your technique for trimming the back of the ear, but that was all of the trimming I did to her ears. Up until recently I liked Sadie's ears to look natural, but lately the fur has been looking out of control.

I've yet to try any other ear trimming, I've been very busy. :rolleyes2: I'll be doing it soon though, hopefully this week!
 
Back
Top