Trimming ears

Thanks everyone! I'll keep at it.

Good job!! I think I would have left a bit more hair between her ears...or it could be the way she is holding them in the pic...either way though good job!! :)

I think you're right...but I have such trouble. First of all her ears ARE wide set, so it makes it hard for me to tell where to trim. Secondly, she always does her "sad ear" look when I'm trimming. (Sad ears are when she puts them all the way back). And third, she also gets what I call "devil horns" between where the inside of her ear meets her head. They are tufts of fur that seem to stick up and look crazy. But I cut too much... Oh well! You live, you learn!
 
ahhh yes the horns..Molly has them..I call them her devil horns :lol: fits her perfectly! I always tell her I have to trim them down so she can behave again and be nice!!!

Keep practicing its the best way to learn...make a mistake and you will always remember it so you dont do it again...or atleast not for awhile till you forget like I do!:smile2:
 
Thanks everyone! I'll keep at it.



Secondly, she always does her "sad ear" look when I'm trimming. (Sad ears are when she puts them all the way back). And third, she also gets what I call "devil horns" between where the inside of her ear meets her head. They are tufts of fur that seem to stick up and look crazy. But I cut too much... Oh well! You live, you learn!

Oh yes, the sad sack look! I agree its hard to trim the ears when they keep pulling them back! All you can do is grab the ear between your thumb and forefinger and force it back into position. Then clip, but sparingly to start, and only with a thinning shear.


As for the horn....if you've got wide set ears, you want to shape it only. It's difficult to explain but you want to create an illusion of close knit ears. Trial and error is the only way. Fortunately fur grows back, so if you are too aggressive, then only you will really notice!

NOBODY notices that my Bacca has hound ears....because most people don't know the Sheltie Standard....they just think he's got an adorable face and leave it that. And so do I.

I really try not to get to anal about it. As long as the boys are groomed with no matts, no grinch feet and clipped nails, then I'm good.
 
You did a great job, Ashley! She looks terrific. Great "before" and "after" pics!

If you take the hand you're not cutting with and fold the ear over your finger and out a bit, you can see where those little horns are more easily. They're the bane of my existence!! I always get done trimming and look at the dog half an hour later and say where did THAT come from??? :no:
 
This is the video. I still use this technique but it requires a very fine thinning shear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEKuAlcPbzY

I can't find who on the forum originally supplied this video. I don't think she posts anymore. On the video she goes by "Lovely". I'm pretty sure she was from Europe though, perhaps Belgium???? I tried to find the thread with no luck. Unfortunate, because I'm sure there is more clarification of technique.

I'm feeling inspired....perhaps I'll do ears tonight!

Anna from Poland did the video for Barb :yes:
 
Back
Top