UKA Jan 2015

labgirl

Forums Sage
I am soooo slow at getting this video done, we actually attended this show on the 10th of Jan!

Anyway, I first want to say a huge thanks to those who gave me a pep talk just before and after Christmas. I went to this show intending to have fun on every run. I was much more relaxed and me and the Merlin had great fun. Just look how enthusiastic he is on the vid.:winkgrin:

And you know - it worked. We came away with a 1st (NQ on points) and a 2nd! And we were so close to a nice run on jumping if only I hadn't forgotten to make sure I collected him from the tunnel, oops!

Our new club is really helping us to progress and the trainer is very understanding with Merlin and his foibles. We are achieving things that last summer I never would have dreamed of.

The only sad thing is I had to completely leave my other club due to certain members resenting my joining a second, competition-style club. I had hoped to carry on doing fun lessons there, but it wasn't to be.

So here is the vid, still getting my head around UKA, but I am loving the games classes. Already booked for Beginners Gamblers at the next show:wink2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdzO3Wn5B7c&list=UUkGTE7sn9PidcQW5qkTDB0w
 
Labgirl:

Merlin is an absolutely gorgeous dog, and it did indeed look like the two of you were having a great deal of fun at the trial. Good for you both! :smile2:

Interestingly enough, one of your comments struck me like a ton of bricks (although, I have NO doubt that you are 100% correct in your assessment):

...
The only sad thing is I had to completely leave my other club due to certain members resenting my joining a second, competition-style club. I had hoped to carry on doing fun lessons there, but it wasn't to be...

(emphasis obviously mine) - I will admit that it would have never occurred to me to expect such a reaction from any member of a club I belonged to SIMPLY because I chose to use MY own time to participate with another cub in order to enhance MY relationship with MY dog. From what I can see, you and Merlin are doing just fine however you have gotten to where you are, and I say, "More power to you both?"
 
You both look like you're having a blast. I'm so glad you are feeling more relaxed!

Very strange about your former club. We have members in my club who also train or belong to other clubs. I've never heard anyone say something negative about that. I hope your new club is more welcoming!
 
Looking good:yes:

sorry to hear that you had to leave the old club- I hope that the people in the new club are more supportive and encouraging:fl
 
Merlin looks really happy...it is always goes so much better when you are having fun. Good job. :smile2:

Trini
 
Thanks all. Yes, it is odd with my old club, as at my new one (Beachside) several members belong to different agility clubs and even promote competitions held at the alternative club at Beachside comps. I guess it is different attitudes. I don't think it helped that at my old club I was part of the display team and had been for 4 seasons. Unfortunately the new club trains the same night as the display team, so I had to make the decision which to do. All the people in my old agility class are also on the display team and I feel that created tension, but really it was so unnecessary.

Never mind, onwards and upwards, Merlin continues to improve and even surprises me by what he can do and we are having fun. And Sparrow has started classes there and is doing very well:smile2:
 
Thanks all. Yes, it is odd with my old club, as at my new one (Beachside) several members belong to different agility clubs and even promote competitions held at the alternative club at Beachside comps. I guess it is different attitudes. I don't think it helped that at my old club I was part of the display team and had been for 4 seasons. Unfortunately the new club trains the same night as the display team, so I had to make the decision which to do. All the people in my old agility class are also on the display team and I feel that created tension, but really it was so unnecessary.

Never mind, onwards and upwards, Merlin continues to improve and even surprises me by what he can do and we are having fun. And Sparrow has started classes there and is doing very well:smile2:
It is a people thing. We have a club in town that also does flyball. About 50% of our team are members of said club. However the flyball team of that club is not allowed to run with us, ever. :lol: It is kind of childish seeming to me but I ignore it.

The good news is that one of our team is an escapee from the club team and others were considering the jump. I think the club board has since dropped the hammer on the flyball captain as the next tournament 3 people from the club team are running open with us. The cooperation is good and the people are all nice so I like this news.

Maybe with time your old club will get the clue and change. If not you are still having fun.
 
People do get a little 'precious' sometimes, Sheep. I'm not worried as I have my own path I want to travel. To be honest, I found it rather stressful being part of the display team last year. Too many clashing personalities and tensions. My friend has taken over running it this year, so hopefully things will be better, but I am not the only long-standing member that decided enough was enough.
 
Back
Top